FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid - DONE!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sep 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

New stuff came in! I ordered the tadpole gasket and the adhesive.

3/8" bulb, 1-1/8" length.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Lil bro cut down some trees in his yard, either Bradford pear or ornamental apple, not sure which. He gave it to me, and even had it delivered to the house. I think I can put it to use, what do you guys think? I need to rent a splitter now, and I have to make some kind of rack to store it.......I have no idea how to make one so as to dry the wood properly......any help?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

Mike, sorry to hear about your Dad.

It looks like you are starting to get back to it and I like the way your cooker is coming along.

There's a hundred different ways to make a wood rack. Here's how I did mine. The bottom runners and vertical posts are all 4x4 and the rest framed together with 2x4's. I used some galvanized angle brackets to tie the posts to the bottom runners. everything else is screwed. The whole thing sits on some masonry block to keep the runners off the ground. I cover the top to keep rain and crap from mingling through the logs but the log ends are exposed to allow air circulation. I put a little more money into this than I really wanted but I got a nice rack. Shocked Anyway, that's one way of doing it. Another less expensive way is to find some pallets and assemble them to make a rack.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sep 20 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear about your Dad Bkndsdl. My Condolences to you and your family.
As Mike said just about anything works for a wood rack. I use scrap tubing and build them.

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sep 20 2015    Post subject: We Have DOORS!! Reply with quote

I got the horizontal doors hung. I used 1/2" sch80 smls pipe and 1/2" rod for the hinges. I cut the pipe into 2" lengths and slid them on a rod long enough to go the entire length of the smoker so I could hang both doors at once.

I cut a few small pieces of gasket to use as shims to get the gap set right.

Here they are open and done! I mounted the handles too, they aren't welded out yet.

Thanks for looking!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sep 20 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have some awesome racks!! Shocked

Lol. Thanks for the pics. So keep off the ground and keep covered, got it. Of course, I just made a scrap steel run and threw away a bunch of galvanized trampoline legs I coulda used........

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 04 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a VERY good and productive weekend! I got over a major hurdle with the firebox to horizontal gate open and close mechanism, which is working like a charm.

Here's the actuating arm. It is in the down or gate closed position.

Here it is in the gate open position, which is default. You get a good view of the operation here; basically an actuation arm with a rod through a pipe that moves the arm up and down on the other end of the rod.

It took a while to get it to this point........lots of tacking, working, moving, untacking and retacking, adjusting.......but it works friggin awesome now, just like I'd hoped it would.

Once that was done, I braced the side, insulated, and installed the outer plate, just like all the others.

Insulated.......

and outer plate in place. Notched it for the actuator angles and the actuator arm hole.

Once I got that done, I did this..........

One of my other hobbies is flying model aircraft. My youngest is just now getting into them. This plane was given to him, and we've been working on it for a while now trying to get it flight-worthy. Friday I surprised him by picking him up from school with the plane loaded up and ready to go. We got one flight in but it was very windy so I decided to pack it up for the day, but at least we saw it fly.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

I try to make everything that may give me problems removable, so here's how I did the actuation arm. If I welded everything in place, I wouldn't be able to get it out, so I made a removable piece for the upper guide. I drilled a 3/4" hole in two pieces of 1" angle as a guide for the rod. When I got everything just right, I cut the top angle right through the middle of the hole. Then I welded an extension piece on the end that I cut off, drilled a hole in it, drilled a matching hole in the angle that was welded onto the grill, then welded a nut on the backside. All I have to do is remove the bolt, and remove the clip, and the rod comes right out of the top and can be pulled out of the bottom hole.

Here's the clip.

And here's the clip in place.

Here it is removed, and you can see the bottom just slides out of the hole.

This is how I will lock the arm and gate in place; I notched a piece of 3/16"x1-1/2" angle. I will weld this on the side of the firebox in this position. The actuation arm rotates, so when I want to open the gate - like in horizontal mode only - this is where it'll be.

When I want to maybe slow down some heat to the horizontal chamber, I will simply rotate the arm out of the notch.......

......and move it to another notch. The notches are fully open (top), 2/3 open, 1/3 open, and the bottom is fully closed. Here's another shot.

All of this side will be covered by another plate, which will cover up all the innards of this side so as not to be hindered by whatever is under the smoker in this area.

This doesn't look like much, but that is a full Friday and Saturday's worth of work. I did manage to brace, insulate and weld out the piece above the horizontal on the side of the vertical cabinet, and was also able to get the angles for the vertical's racks put in place. I am very glad I got this done, this was a big hurdle to overcome. I woke up this morning and realized I only have a little less than two months to get this finished and I started freaking out!

Thanks for looking!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
wango
BBQ Fan

Mike,

Just finished reading your whole thread, very impressive, you have some serious skills man, I like your design.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 05 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wango wrote:
Mike,

Just finished reading your whole thread, very impressive, you have some serious skills man, I like your design.

Thanks wango! I appreciate the comments. Much of the stuff in my head never makes it out, glad this one's made it!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Oct 08 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed last year in a car accident. The last time I talked to him, I was gloating about fixing a boston butt. I told him I would save him some. lol I live in TN, and my folks live in FL. That was on Memorial Day last year. He was gone the Saturday after.

Glad to see you back on your feet with the job situation and your cooker. I'm loving the mechanical aspect of your slide gate. When I was a kid, I was a tinkerer. I would take apart all my RC cars and toys just to see how they worked. Whether they worked afterwards is a different story Very Happy Shocked I'm guessing that's why the Marine Corps thought I would be a good tank mechanic. Got a question though. With all the moving parts, rod through a pipe such as your hinges, what are the chances it will bind up with use? Can you use grease fittings? Is there even a food-safe grease (besides rendered animal fat) that can be used?

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 08 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionsusmc wrote:
Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed last year in a car accident.

Thanks man, same to you. tomorrow Dad would've been 68. This thanksgiving will be our first family get-together without him. He always made a turkey, and I hope to do him proud this year on this smoker.

missionsusmc wrote:
Glad to see you back on your feet with the job situation and your cooker. I'm loving the mechanical aspect of your slide gate. When I was a kid, I was a tinkerer. I would take apart all my RC cars and toys just to see how they worked. Whether they worked afterwards is a different story Very Happy Shocked I'm guessing that's why the Marine Corps thought I would be a good tank mechanic.

Thanks, I am the same way man! Sometimes I go a bit too far with the design things, I have to back up sometimes and regroup, just to remember what it is that I'm going for. Thought I was going a bit too far with the gate, but it worked out ok in the end. I'm happy with it. I mainly incorporated it into this build because I saw someone with this on their horizontal, and he would close the damper and wait a few seconds for the smoke to dissipate from the cook chamber; then when he opened the cook chamber doors, there was no smoke to get in the eyes. I liked that idea so that's the main reason for it.

missionsusmc wrote:
Got a question though. With all the moving parts, rod through a pipe such as your hinges, what are the chances it will bind up with use? Can you use grease fittings? Is there even a food-safe grease (besides rendered animal fat) that can be used?

Good question; I have enough play between the rod and the pipe that I believe will keep it from binding up. There are biodegradable greases, but I really don't think I'll have a problem with that. There are greaseable bullet hinges you can buy that work really well, and at first I thought that was the route I was going to go but just decided to build them so I could get them just how I wanted them.

Thanks for looking!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 12 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have decided to move my build from this site to another called www.smokerbuilders.com; you can find my build by going to this link:

Bkndsdl's Inuslated Hybrid

It takes a lot of time and effort to modify the pictures to fit The Smoke Ring's requirements, and the new site doesn't have those restrictions.

I will update the new thread with the latest on the smoker. Thanks for looking!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

I hate to see you move it I enjoyed following your progress. I am no longer a member of that site and pic looking is restricted to members only and I doubt I will ever be signing back up over there.
Good luck with the rest of your build. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

k.a.m. wrote:
I hate to see you move it I enjoyed following your progress. I am no longer a member of that site and pic looking is restricted to members only and I doubt I will ever be signing back up over there.
Good luck with the rest of your build. Very Happy

I didn't want to move it, but it takes so long to change the pics to fit.....plus, there were some other issues I wish not to discuss here. I will post a finished pic here maybe, but not the full progress.

Thanks for all your encouragement KAM, it is well appreciated!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Oct 13 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice build you had going on here. A lot of thought put into it for sure. Be nice to see it finished. Oh well...
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 14 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
A nice build you had going on here. A lot of thought put into it for sure. Be nice to see it finished. Oh well...

Thanks TrailerBuilder! I will post here, but not gonna post step by step pics like I have been doing, too time consuming.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 24 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WILL MAKE TURKEY DAY!!!

I worked on it until nighttime on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday after church I got it to a point where I can cook the turkeys in it! WOOHOO!!

The smoker needs a lot of welding still, and I plan on doing that in the afternoons under shop light. The smoker is sealed inside, so even if I don't get the outside welding done I will still be able to use it. All I need to do is install the door gaskets, weld on the drain nipple and ball valve and It will be all sealed up and ready to use. I will not worry about exhaust closures right now, I am going to just fill the un-needed exhaust with aluminum foil for the time being. I plan on using the tuning plates for this cook. My wife added a ham to the cooking list for Thanksgiving, so if I choose to try the vertical for that, I'll need to build at least one rack for the vertical. May just stick it in the electric smoker and not worry about that right now....main thing is I can cook the turkeys in here! I will probably do a full burn out on Wednesday; I am off Wednesday so I will probably do a burn out in the morning, then I will play with the tuning plates to see if I can even the horizontal temps out in preparation for Thursday's cook.

I AM STOKED AND BEAT!!!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

Go man go!!! Ain't nothing like having a hard deadline to get you inspired. Very Happy Lookin' good Mike. Hope you can relax and enjoy your cooker here in a couple of days.
Bbqbuck

Thats a really nice one Smile
I hope ill be ready for your turkey day Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: