FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid - DONE!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Apr 11 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkndsdl wrote:
Not sure I follow the bolt at the back being behind the handle..........could you explain that a bit?

Here is how it will work: the clip will tighten against the angle rail and secure the tuning plate in place. There are two of these for each plate, one for each end of the plate.

If there's one on each end of the plate, one would be in the front, and one in the back. If you made a handle to weld to the plate, you would put it in the center of the plate for balance. (Aesthetics too.) So the bolt and retainer nut at the back would be behind your handle. You would therefore be reaching not only over the entire depth of your chamber to get to the bolts at the back, but over a steel handle for each plate. I might have some Kevlar forearm sleeves left if you want me to send them to you. Very Happy

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 11 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I gotcha. Well if I made any handles it'd be small Tee handles, like what KAM did on his. they wouldn't be in the way.

Send 'em on, my leather sleeves are worn out!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 13 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a bit of time to work on the smoker. I finished drilling the tuning plates; all I need to do now is weld the stops on the bottom side and these are done.

I also got to work on the doors. They are square tube framed, 45'ed on the corners so no tube openings to fill. They are insulated and then covered up with a plate with holes drilled in it, then I weld up the holes. Well, that's the way it was SUPPOSED to happen...........

Here's the door frame, with one skin attached. The two angles are for bracing.

Here's the skin, drilled and ready to attach to the skin AFTER insulation. Like I said........that's they way it was supposed to happen....

Well, I got a little ahead of myself and welded part of the skin before I insulated. Major, Major DUH. So......had to cut it back off. I felt like an imbecile..........good thing is, I didn't weld it solid and I didn't weld any of the center braces to it. Much to my chagrin I cut it off where I could. At least I didn't weld the thermometer coupling to it.

And here's the insulation. woulda been nice if I woulda done it first, but at least it's done.

It actually wasn't too bad. Lined it up and it fit pretty well. Only had to dog and wedge one corner, once I pulled it up the 1/16" it needed to be flush, I tacked it off and welded it out.

I was able to get the second door framed, braced and one skin on; wasn't able to get it finished, but all I have to do is drill the holes for the thermometer coupling, insulate it and weld the skin on. Hopefully in that order this time, lol.

Once I got that done yesterday it was into the dark. It has been raining all day today and it looks like it's going to be like this all week so I may not get much done this week.

thanks for looking!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

Ehhh....it's okay to weld in the rain, just don't touch anything metal, or anything wet. HAHAHA Looking really good.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

missionsusmc wrote:
Ehhh....it's okay to weld in the rain, just don't touch anything metal, or anything wet. HAHAHA Looking really good.

Lol.......yeah, I think I'll pass on that one!

Thanks man!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 14 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got a problem......the 1/2" themometer coupling I got from Lowe's is not gonna work. It says black on it, but it is malleable iron, or some cheap stuff that you can't weld to (Says China on bag, go figure). The weld cracked. I ground it out, preheated it and welded it again, but same thing. I now need to find a carbon 1/2" coupling, but even worse I have to figure out how to go about removing the unusable coupling from the door.......

Oh well. Just a small hiccup. Did manage to get some figuring done on the firebox to cc gate, and I have a plan for moving forward on it.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Apr 14 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkndsdl wrote:
I now need to find a carbon 1/2" coupling, but even worse I have to figure out how to go about removing the unusable coupling from the door.......

Grind the welds down smooth on both sides.
Cut a hole in a piece of plate slightly larger than the coupling and lay the door coupling over this area.
Take a piece of 1/2" pipe and set it over the bad coupling and strike it with a hammer.
If you ground down enough and your door is solid on the plate the old coupling should give up with out distorting your door.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 15 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Grind the welds down smooth on both sides.
Cut a hole in a piece of plate slightly larger than the coupling and lay the door coupling over this area.
Take a piece of 1/2" pipe and set it over the bad coupling and strike it with a hammer.
If you ground down enough and your door is solid on the plate the old coupling should give up with out distorting your door.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Thanks man, it does help! I was able to knock the one I welded on the second door out bc I only welded it to one skin. It came out pretty easily. The other one is welded on the inside and outside of one skin and the outside of another twice, but the weld broke so cleanly that it shouldn't be too hard to knock it out like you said with a piece of plate with a hole or what I'll prob do is get a small piece of 1-1/2" pipe and use that too; the hole saw I used was 1-1/4" so it shouldn't distort too much. Gotta find some couplings too.........

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
deere green

PostPosted: Apr 17 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookn' good! keep it up. cannot wait to see a fire burning in that thing!
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 17 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

deere green wrote:
lookn' good! keep it up. cannot wait to see a fire burning in that thing!

Thanks man, you and me both!

Well I got the coupling out of the door, without too much cursing. I also found some weldable couplings. Bad thing is, the couplings I found are a lot smaller in diameter. So, I think I will make a round doubler plate to go over the hole. The holes in the second door will need to be done too for congruency. So, hopefully this weekend will be a dry one and I can get both the doors finished.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 20 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't do anything on the smoker this weekend, I needed some more cutting discs and with the current job situation turning south I just didn't feel like spending any money nor time on the smoker. Plus, it was clear Saturday most of the day but man was it wet. the ground was just soaked. I didn't do anything Sunday either.

Trying not to get discouraged. I have some prospects in the works but nothing solid as of yet. Trying hard to focus on the positives, my boys are healthy, wife still loves me and God still has me. On top of the job situation my dad is in the ICU again. when it rains, it pours......Just gotta keep praying and trusting in God, he has a plan for me. Wife wants me to smoke a ham this weekend, hoping that'll lift my spirits....lol.....

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 24 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to finish the doors yesterday, and got the second one insulated BEFORE I put the skin on! How's that for progress? I made some doubler plates to go over the holes that were too big. Drilled the new size in the center of the doubler, and welded them on. I did this on both doors.

And here they are welded out. Not the best, but getting the hang of it again. I need to get some weld spatter spray.....

Nipple of pipe installed to protect the threads during welding.

Once that was done, I was able to work on the firebox some. Here's how I plan on making it sliding; I slit two sq tubes down the middle, and slid one inside the other. My plan is to suspend the firebox on this. Here's the slots:

Here's the firebox with the tubes welded on. I will hopefully get the grating in today after work.

Thanks for looking!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 27 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the sliding coal basket built and installed; it slides, not as easy as I wanted but it does what I need it to do. Maybe a bit more grinding on the tube slots will make it slide a bit easier.

Here's the grating installed; I simply cut the side pieces and bent them at a 45 by clamping them between the table and a piece of angle, then pushed it down to the right angle. Then I welded them in place. This should hold all the charcoal I need for anything I cook.......

Next pic is the basket installed.

And here it is slid out. I plan on adding some stops so it can't be pulled all the way out without pulling a pin or something.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
deere green

PostPosted: Apr 27 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love how this is coming together!
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 24 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updated pics to drool over?

Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Aug 08 2015    Post subject: I'm Baaaaaack!! Reply with quote

Well I'm back! When I was laid off, I lost my only computer so I haven't been able to update guys. Long time coming, but I have a new computer and am back at it! I have done some work on the smoker, and I will post some updates soon.

Glad to be back!!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Aug 08 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

deere green wrote:
Love how this is coming together!

Thanks man!

missionsusmc wrote:
Any updated pics to drool over?

A bit, I'll post later.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sep 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome back, guys!!

My dad passed away while I was laid off. He fought diabetes for 25 years and it finally took its toll. Dad isn't hurting anymore, mom isn't stressed to the max taking care of him, and he's in a much better place.

My mom nor any of my sibs really get into the smoking thing, so mom gave me his MES and his 18" weber kettle. They have been serving as my smokers while I got back on my feet with the new smoker. I really, really like both of these smokers.

While driving by a house in the neighborhood that always has stuff for sale out front, something caught my eye - a 22-1/2" kettle. Got it for $10!! the inside cleaner / damper was rusted completely off, the charcoal grate was missing, the ash catcher was gone, one handle was missing, and one leg kept popping out of place. I ordered the damper and an ash catcher, a thermometer, found a handle at lowes, and I got me a nice grill!

New damper.

Here's the new thermometer. This lid didn't have one originally, so I put my step bit to work and made a new hole. Put it as close to the grate as I felt I could.

New handle, I like how it has a utensil hanger built in to the sides. Looks like the PO got some paint on it.......I can live with it!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build

Last edited by Bkndsdl on Sep 19 2015; edited 1 time in total
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Here's what I got done sofar. This is the beginning of the firebox to horizontal sliding door. The arm will move the rods which will move the flatbar up and down.

Never throw anything away.......these are the slugs left over from the holes I drilled in the doors for the couplings.

Welded them on the end of some rod.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Here's the actuating arm that will be on the outside. The arm for the inside will be longer so that the rotation needed is minimal.

Here is the placement. The soapstone marks are where the center of the actuating rod needs to be. I ended up moving it quite a bit from this location.

Open......

Closed.

My actuation arm for the time being......just so I could get it moving without installing everything. I had to mock it up to get the actuation arms the right length, and the rotation right. This took a whole day to get just right.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: