FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid - DONE!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 17 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all the tubing cut up.

I wasn't able to get any more done because when I picked up my steel Friday it was all palletized and neatly stacked; when I got it all unpacked I realized they didn't give me the drop pieces. I couldn't go back Friday so I went back Monday, and that took a bit more time than I expected because they had already thrown away the drop......Funny because when you get something lofted they make you buy a full sheet; if they make you do that they shouldn't ever throw the drop away. In any case, they made up by giving me a 3'x4' piece which was larger than the drop would've been. Turned out ok then, but I didn't have enough time to do anything else. Plus, my shop lights are out, so it was getting hard to see. I have something to do this afternoon so I prob won't get much done tonight......

Wreckless
, I learned something about my cutoff wheel; it can get clogged with metal and not cut. The very edge of the blade, the part that comes in contact with the steel, can pick up tiny bits of metal, and eventually cover the end; this I believe is the glazing you were talking about. When you try to cut with the blade clogged like this, you are basically trying to cut metal by rubbing metal against it. The saw made perfect cuts then started to just not want to cut at all. I remedied this by taking a rat tail file and just lightly brushing the edge, knocking off the impregnated metal. Next cut was like the blade was brand new. Something to look for for sure. Glad we had that conversation!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Feb 18 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkndsdl wrote:
I got all the tubing cut up.

Wreckless
, I learned something about my cutoff wheel; it can get clogged with metal and not cut. The very edge of the blade, the part that comes in contact with the steel, can pick up tiny bits of metal, and eventually cover the end; this I believe is the glazing you were talking about. When you try to cut with the blade clogged like this, you are basically trying to cut metal by rubbing metal against it. The saw made perfect cuts then started to just not want to cut at all. I remedied this by taking a rat tail file and just lightly brushing the edge, knocking off the impregnated metal. Next cut was like the blade was brand new. Something to look for for sure. Glad we had that conversation!

Yah, that was the glazing I was referring to. Basically a finely polished edge resulting from the metal dust / flakes welding themselves to the blade. Easy enough fix once you know what it is. Your rat tail file seems to have gotten the job done. Right back to cutting. Once more tho, when the blade needs replacement, for sure try the thinner blade, the deglaze process will be fewer and farther between. Also note, quicker, shorter burst while cutting may all but eliminate the glaze all together. it's when your base metal continually starts to become molten when this happens. Enough of this tho, back to work. Glad it helped.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

I was able to get some stuff done tonight, my small group session at church got cancelled so I got to it as soon as I got home.

First thing I got done was to make the inner firebox and smoke chamber for the vertical smoker. I had to cut these in two so I had a separate piece above and below the 3/8" center divider.

After that I got two sides of the vertical frame made up; nothing much to look at there so no pics. I'll have some tomorrow of the completed frame hopefully.

I'm sure you guys have your own preference in welding wire but I highly recommend this Lincoln InnerShield flux core wire. I get it at lowes. I have a Hobart Handler 140, and I've run this wire through it a lot.

It's some pretty awesome stuff, flows real well and burns very clean and it's relatively cheap, $65 for a 10lb spool. It's E71T-11 and is certified to AWS 5.20. I am using the .035 on this job. One spool of the HF stuff and I'll never use it again; it doesn't follow any regulatory agency. The way it's classed is basically whatever the manufacturer wants it to be. Doesn't follow any specs or codes or anything, it's just basic wire that someone makes. It'll get you through a pinch if you absolutely can't get wire anywhere else but it definitely isn't preferred by any means. Just my .02.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

Isn't the Hobart 140 gas shield ready? Hokey smokes, $65 for a #10 roll?
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Yup it is. I didn't feel like messing with short arc on this one (Translation: Don't feel like taking the bottle off and getting it filled).

$65 is actually pretty good I thought. I could build 5 of these with one spool.........

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 21 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made my first duh.....I only needed to notch one side of the two bottom inside FB plates, and I notched both sides. Oh well, easy fix.

I made progress on the frame for the vertical. My table isn't level by any means so shimming and lots of levels were needed. It's as square as I can get it, and welded up.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 22 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed my duh yesterday.

Laid out the 3/8" plate. This is the divider between the firebox and the vertical smoke chamber, basically the top of the firebox.

Boys and girls, I haven't cut plate with a torch in a while, but I'm gonna tell ya, I am by no means KAM nor Wreckless when it comes to cutting a straight line, but just being able to still do it sure makes me happy. When you cut it and it just falls off with no hammering, it sure feels good.

These are the openings from the fb to the vertical cabinet. First one took a small tap to fall out, second one fell right out.....

Here it is in place. I will cut another hole in the middle, but I want to do that after I have everything else in place. Now the frame is officially too heavy to put on the table, so I'll have to move into the shop from here on out.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 22 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the finished cooking section of the cabinet.

Here you can see the dividers, or smoke channels. I just set them in here for the visual.

They will have a 2-1/2" gap at the top to allow the smoke/heat to get into the upper section; they will also have a 3/8" gap at the bottom, and when I'm in horizontal mode, I will slide a piece of 3/8" plate into the gap to cover up the holes in the 3/8" divider plate. By doing this I can isolate the upper section. If I want to use it as a warmer, I will slide the 3/8" plate out a bit to allow some of the heat from the fb to make it to the upper section.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
fire_fiter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 23 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkndsdl..... That build is looking nice......I may need to come over to Grand Bay for its inaugural test lol......looking forward to the progress of this one
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 25 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire_fiter wrote:
Bkndsdl..... That build is looking nice......I may need to come over to Grand Bay for its inaugural test lol......looking forward to the progress of this one

Cmon over man!

Well the financial advisor and I talked about it, and we've decided that the compressor tank idea would be too hard to implement, so we're going all out and fabbing the horizontal chamber in the same fashion as the vertical was. In this way I don't have to try to make the tank work, but it will be a lot more expensive obviously. It will however come a lot closer to what I wanted, a smoker that has the capacity for anything I want to do for home, and for a group of people if I so choose.

Here's the new layout. Looks a lot like BBQE's build, but the vert and horiz cc's are totally separate in that they can be isolated from one another. Also, this won't just be a rf but a hybrid with tuning plates.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mar 02 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on the exhaust height guys, I see what I need to do now. I've moved the exhaust behind the smoker and lowered the exhaust openings to just above the lower grating. This will give me the needed exhaust height, and will also fit under the back porch (major DUH avoided).

Here's the finished design layout. The height of the opened cc door is around 6'. I am 5'-5", so this should be just fine. I may raise the whole thing up about 10" for the ash pan under the intake idea but for right now this is where I'm at......

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mar 06 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some time to work on the horizontal cc Wednesday.

Here's the top inside made up. Notice the grind marks.....built the square tubes flush to the wrong end the first time. First DUH of the day (notice I said FIRST).

Here's the bottom inside. It's made the same way as the top (but CORRECTLY the first time.........).

I got smart with the design this time and made everything flush with each other. This way you just line up the edge of one plate to another plate and it's automatically in the place it's supposed to go. Makes it easier to build as well. These pics are hard to see but everything lined up just fine.

Well, I didn't get too smart with the design.........I built this one backwards as well the first time. Second DUH..........Wednesday just wasn't my day. Broke the tacks and started over again.......

Laid the vertical on its side so I could mount the horizontal to it. Because of the two duhs I didn't get to mount them together. You can see just how cramped my little shop is.....this is how little room I have to work when it's raining, so needless to say rainy days the build doesn't get much time.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Yesterday the weather went from the high 60's to the low 40's in less than 8 hours. The wind picked up tremendously, some gusts over 30 mph. It was very cold and very windy and needless to say I wasn't able to get much done due to the weather and my shop being so crammed.

I was able however to get the bottom laid out for the drain. I racked my brains about this a lot, and this is what I eventually came up with. The bottom inside of the horizontal cc will drain from the vertical side to the opposite end of the horizontal. This way I won't have to worry about my grease bridge at the fb to cc opening being too short to keep grease from draining into the fb (it is at 1/2" now). The slope will end with a piece of square tubing, draining through the bottom to a nipple and ball valve. The slope will mean a bit less insulation on the bottom but I'm not too worried about it. Here's the layout.

What I basically did was to lay out the lines, and make the cuts that I won't be able to make once the bottom is attached to the rest of the horizontal cc. I also scored the plate where I will bend the bottom to create the slope. I will simply cut the bottom down the center, push the now separated plate down in the middle, bending it on the scored lines, until I get the slope I want, then fill in the gap created with scrap material. I had to do this because I didn't want to cut up the bottom then have to worry about fitting up the individual pieces. This will allow me to install the bottom just like you see it here, and when I get it locked in with tacks and a few welds I can go ahead and finish the cutting without worrying about having it shift on me.

After I got this done I made a test fit on the horizontal to the vertical, and I am very pleased with how it's going together fit wise, BUT.........it will be WAAY too heavy for me to lift it upright once I put the horizontal on, so I have decided I will get the top and back of the horiz cc tacked on, atttach the bottom of the horiz cc to the back of the horiz cc, then remove the horiz from the vert, install the vert bottom insulation, bottom plates, and casters, stand it upright and build the horizontal frame structure with the casters on the end, THEN reinstall the horiz cc and permanently attach it........

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

Been on the wrong side of the looking glass a few times there Alice? Laughing Yeah, it happens. I have taken to using silver sharpies and writing stupid proof notes to myself when I see one of these coming right on the steel..."This end up" and so forth. While not a perfect system, it beats the heck of remembering to remember. The sharpies over soap stone so I don't erase stuff. Nice thing about steel, you can usually overcome minor goofs, you seem to have done fine. It is looking right sharp.
Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

Your project is moving right along Bkndsdl, very nice work. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Wreckless wrote:
I have taken to using silver sharpies and writing stupid proof notes to myself when I see one of these coming right on the steel...

Lol. See the big 'TO VERT' in the last pic? Lol.......

Wreckless wrote:
It is looking right sharp.

k.a.m. wrote:
Your project is moving right along Bkndsdl, very nice work. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Thanks guys!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mar 09 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have to go in to work on Saturday so I got a good bit done on the smoker.

Here are the braces for the bottom where the caster plates will rest on. two sides of the caster mounting plate will rest on the outside square tubing and the other two sides would've been resting on nothing but 1/8" plate, so I made these to fit inside the bottom angle and square tube.

Here they are in place.

Here's the insulation I'm using; it is 1" thick marine grade mineral wool. We had some left over from one of our jobs and this was given to whomever wanted it. I quickly grabbed three big bundles of it. It cuts really easily with a knife and is rigid enough to handle easily. Just cut it to size and stuff it in place.

Here is the bottom done, ready for the outside plate.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Next I had to drill holes in the bottom plate so as to weld it to the square tubing frame so I wasn't welding directly to the 1/8" plate. Here is one of the bottom plates all drilled and set in place.

Then I could install the casters. These are HF casters, they are pretty heavy duty. 5" diameter and the bearings are greaseable. I have them just tacked on right now, because I don't wanna fully weld them out until I have the rest of the bottom framing built.

Next was on to the intake. I cut the holes with the torture discs......really wish I had a plasma at these times.

Here's the intake built. I decided to build a tray for the ash rather than having a slide out bottom because of just how low this intake is now.....

Tray in place:

Tray slid out:

I figure if I have to add to the sides to hold more ash that'll be pretty easy to do later on. Here's the vertical standing up. This thing is HEAVY......

Remember how close I said the bottom of the intake was from the ground? It's very close........1/2".....

I figure if it gives me too much problems I'll cut the sides of the intake and bring it up, I have a good bit of room. Gonna leave it as is for now.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

Got the horizontal bottom attached to the top, back and sides. I can now attach this to the vertical, but I need the frame built first so I can support it. Unfortunately the oxygen bottle gave up its last as I was beginning to make the coping cuts on the 1/4" angle......Have to wait until I can get a refill because I REFUSE to cut this with the torture discs.......it can wait!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mar 12 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get the horizontal fit in place just so I can get the lower support tube at the vert to horiz connection placed just right. Once I got that tacked off it started raining so I had to stop work. Plan is now to take the horiz back off, weld the support brace, then reinstall. That's a chore without help to lift this thing.

All the stuff inside is what I have to do to get everything back in the shop now.....my brother called it a smoker/workbench, lol.

I will definitely raise the grill. when I pushed it outside to get this shot, it was so low it got stuck.........took me 15 minutes to get it back in the shop! It's also a bit lower than my liking as far as cooking height. Here are a few perspective shots showing where things will be at this height, first shot is the top of the horiz, which is the hinge point for the doors. Second is the bottom opening, or the first grate level. I am thinking I want to raise it at least 4", possibly 6".

Made the next steel order, which will give me all the horizontal outside plating and the outside sides of the vertical, so I should be able to start insulating and enclosing part of it next week. It is supposed to be nice Saturday so I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: