FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr Tony's Kitchen- I sold her
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08 14 5:45 am    Post subject: Mr Tony's Kitchen- I sold her Reply with quote

We had a GREAT 2014 season! Met a few quality promoters - mutual respect in both directions! Which has led me to grow!!
I have struggled for 5 years about going brick n mortar, but for now, have decided to grow in a mobile direction.

Soo..My 25 years as a building/remodeling contractor instincts kicked in....I flew down to Florida, picked up a customers deceased Fathers truck, and used it to stop in Willacoochie Ga. to pick up a new rig! Another Freedom Trailer, 20' with v nose. I had them install a serving window and line the walls and ceiling with mill aluminum, I will be outfitting her from there!

The plan is a full kitchen - NOT centered on smoking, but will have specialty sammiches - BBQ and other, along with about anything we can dream up, or type food NOT available at any festival we may be attending [ with BOTH trailers Wink ]
My current trailer was wired not to my liking...15 amp circuits, fuse box under the sink is all but impossible to get at etc. SOO - I decided to play electrician! I installed a 100 amp 20 spot fuse box, wired every outlet individually with 20 amp breakers and 12ga wire! I may pop breakers on gen-set or facility supplying us with power, but wont be running to trip individual breakers!!!!
I added a dividing wall 19' from the back - creating a power closet in the front of the trailer, which will be power vented, house the gen-set [ dual fuel gas/lp model ] and misc. Wall will be insulated for noise and have a steel door.
A huge concern of mine was a hood...I searched the interweb and decided on a "Hoodmart" concession hood, 10' x 30". @$2500.00 ish...
I added cross members to the ceiling to span the weight of the hood [ which is well under 200#, ] and also mounted it to the wall, making the ceiling mounts more stabilization than load bearing!
Day 1 of welding, actually at the very first spark, my little arc welder gave up the ghost, so off to N.H. Northers for an el-cheapo wire welder...$129.00, definitely got the job done!

The hood showed up a day early, but I managed to get her into the trailer on my own!

After screwing the hanging rails in place to quadruple check bolt alignment, I broke out the little slag maker...

Welded the snot out of every place rail met up with 1 x 1 1/2" rafters, did a pull up on each rail to check my welds..lol...Roof flexed less than 1", and I'm bustin the scale at around 280#!
After having a few people volunteer to help mount it, this morning I was in there at sun-up with a fire in my shorts [ partly from falling slag ] to get her up...Of course the main guy who was going to help was in bed with a hangover...so I busted out some straps and decided to get-er-done!!

[URL=http://s802.photobucket.com/user/mrtonysbbq/media/h6.jpg.html]
Walked her up with the ratchet straps, protecting walls with foam boards

Getting my fat fingers in to start the bolts was the hardest part....having hand cramps typing this...lol

Up, bolted, lights wired, ready to install fan itself on roof - on Tuesday- expecting snow/slop/rain tomorrow...

Under the hood will be a 6 burner stove / cooktop, 24" gas grill [ ugh ] 2 deep fryers and 2 areas for "other" small items [ panini press?? ] and fry station.
I scrubbed craigslist and found a "True" prep cooler for $50, paid $350 to get her running righ [ saved $2 k there!! ] and a 36" 2 door slide bye "Coke" soda fridge for $100!!! Also will have a 36" upright commercial freezer [ currently in my basement unused since kids moved out!]
4 years ago I picked up a 4 bay sink for $200, time to put it to use too!!
This project may take much of the winter, but will be up n running for the '15 season if it kills me...and it might!! Will update as weather allows me to get more done, with pictorals as much as possible...
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM

Last edited by Mr Tony's BBQ on Tue Dec 06 16 5:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08 14 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Mr Tony!

That's a killer lift on your own, crank one end, walk to the other end crank that end, walk back, etc.

I still work here!
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08 14 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!! Looking forward to your build.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08 14 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to see the progress
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10 14 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy's!
Another day of sparks flying [ thankfully not from my electrical work Wink ] Overhead welding isnt really my thing, but having fun - stuff I dont do much of anymore [ building in general ] Making the entire system water tight - welding the duct work to the hood, putting holes in the roof of my new rig Confused Shocked and all the misc. sheet metal and electrical work later - it actually works!! Whoo-Hoo!!
[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy308/mrtonysbbq/hood%20installed%20video.mp4[/IMG]
Popped 2 of the 3 bulbs doing all the metal cutting - a small price to pay for success!!
S.S. tables showed up yesterday as I was about done with hood, things should move pretty quick now, if the darn phone would just stop ringing with Christmas catering gig's... Cool Cool
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 14 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!!

Did you put the metal walls up also?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 14 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered it with the interior walls finished, but thats about it. I already have a couple dings in them, but far less than if I would have done it myself Embarassed Embarassed
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 14 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a friend stop by today to help start "test fitting" the appliances - going to mark the ideal locations for gas lines and plumb her up, hopefully tomorrow!

Since its all in there, I ran a 20# tank to the grill and fired up some Jalapeno Cheddar links Wink

The fryers are 2 different brands, so they dont match up exactly, but we will make do!
I got a little creative on the stove being over the wheel wells - I used 1/2" pipes with flages on both ends to make taller legs.Bolted them in place of the factory 6" legs..[pretty proud of myself there!!] Also, cut the 10" off the back legs of the 36" equipment stand, and mounted the bottom shelf level with the top of the wheel well to distribute the weight and will be bolting the back lip of the stand to the wall.
I had my screw gun slip, sure was glad I had a bone in the middle of my finger to stop it from scratching the new S.S. ....had to pick meat off the bit....in 25 years of construction, I never did it that good before!! May affect my plumbing skills tomorrow Embarassed Embarassed Crying or Very sad Shocked it IS affecting my typing right now! I hate it when that happen!

quite the bleeder!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13 14 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the gas lines run today! Gas appliances are snugly tucked in their final positions, ready to cook...Sooo, after getting some grief for cooking brats on her test run, I decided to step up my game a little for a true break in!
Duck breasts, sesame green beans and garlic mashed red potatoes!

After living with electric stove in the house for as long as I can remember, having this gas range is HUGE!! Even on the lowest setting I could easily burn stuff!! As odd as that might sound, I like it! Really looking forward to cooking in mass quantities in this rig! A long way to go, including finishing gas lines to exterior and to generator,[ currently have it temporarily run to 20# tank inside for test runs, and checking for leaks etc. ] but am seeing some light at the end of the gas tunnel! [ dual 100# tanks going on nose ]
Water system next week!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13 14 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Job!!

Wife and I are upgrading our home kitchen next year and a Vulcan 6 burner gas stove is on the list along with double wall ovens.

Did you buy the stove brand new?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13 14 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I bought the stove new from http://www.equippers.com/ They are my new "go to" supplier for kitchen stuff...They seem to beat most on almost anything for the trailers!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
erniesshop
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 14 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Brother!!!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 14 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniesshop wrote:
Looking good Brother!!!

ERNIE!! Great to see you stop in Brother!!
Merry Christmas!!!!!
Hope all is well!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 14 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No updates in last 7 days.....making any progress
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 14 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoldering Coals wrote:
No updates in last 7 days.....making any progress

Got the front divider wall sheet-ed with osb and door installed...need to pick up some mill aluminum sheeting and trim to finish - no pics though...From there, today I used the appliances to make mashed taters, stuffing, gravy , green bean casserole while the other rig was smoking hams and turkeys for a catering gig....just got home. Hoping to get sheeting tomorrow while finally finishing my Christmas shopping for the Mrs Embarassed and shopping for all the Christmas dinners / catering gig's needed to help pay for this beast!! Cool Cool Not enough hours in a day lately!!
Once wall is finished, I can start on water system and other fridge and freezer placement. Lots of stuff 3/4 done, requiring baby steps to move on... Crying or Very sad
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20 14 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the wall for

Atleast you are making some money!!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20 14 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wall is located 3' in from the nose. Breaker box and generator will be in there [ breakers already installed ] There will also be a bit of Misc storage room on a 4' shelf , and a good place to hide stuff!! Water hoses, tools etc. May even be room for a porta potty!!?? Cool
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM

Last edited by Mr Tony's BBQ on Sun Dec 21 14 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 14 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
The wall is located breaker box and generator will be in there [ breakers already installed ] There will also be a bit of Misc storage room on a 4' shelf , and a good place to hide stuff!! Water hoses, tools etc. May even be room for a porta potty!!?? Cool

Sounds interesting!!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16 15 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally got around to buying some sheeting! Local trailer dealer sold me 3 half sheets, 49" x 53" [ cut-off's from a repair job] for $30! More than enough to cover wall and material left to make trim to match factory trim. I placed the seams in areas that will be covered by sinks and soda fridge. Glued aluminum to walls, but did add a few screws to hold in place as glue drys, in spring...lol

Next, dig my aluminum brake out of the snow, which is sitting on the sink that can be installed once trim is on....Baby steps between plowing snow and arctic cold fronts....but only have 2.5 months before my season begins! Not my cup of tea to be out in the yard or in a metal box when the temps are below zero!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20 15 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of little behind the scene done - securing all wiring from ever chaffing etc. being the biggest pain! That and old age, just the wrong height step stool to work all crammed up in the corners re-installing trim, and making/installing new trim to match - but she is looking a bit cleaner [ except for all the finger prints Embarassed ]

Now for all the heavy lifting - fridge, freezer, 4 bay sink...and all the stooping hooking up water...finish running gas line to outside@ nose, weld on tank holders...The list is long, but I have time...I HOPE!
Weather has been ok to work outside, thankfully - but snowing as I type...
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: