FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trying to rush my cure time on bacon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laserdoc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28 14 10:02 pm    Post subject: trying to rush my cure time on bacon Reply with quote

I have a 5 lb slab sitting in my cure now for 6 days. I was going to pull it and rinse it and let it air dry until tomorrow then cold smoke it . Unfortunalty I have to fly out of town on Sunday afternoon for work and won't be back until Tuesday night.. so I can't wait the regular 7 days for cure time. A thicker part of the bacon is still a bit squishy so I think it needs another day or two for that one corner to firm up. My question is if I pull it Sunday before I head out that will be (8 days cure time) and let it sit in the frig to air dry until Wed morning and smoke it then,,,, I should be good right? That gives it a air drying time of about 72 hours instead of the regular 24
Thanks guys!!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28 14 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extra cure time should not be a problem,
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30 14 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
extra cure time should not be a problem,

Bingo, the man knows what he is talking about. had this problem last year with one of my slabs. Had to sit in the cure 12 days due to work. came out fine with a little extra soak after out of the cure.

Modified ECB
UDS
laserdoc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all turned out great. Smoked it Wed and it set in the frig until this morning. sliced a sample and it turned out great. Time to slice and bag this batch. Going to start another one in the cure this weekend. I smoked this one for about 11 hours. I may cut the smoke time in half to see if I can tell a difference. Or should I increase the smoke time? What is the most common time to smoke them while cold smoking?? My temp hung around 75 degrees the whole time which was perfect. Think I will do the next one with the honey instead of the maple syrup
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07 14 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to get at least 24 hours of smoke, I prefer 36-48.

But I like a real smokey bacon, as do our customers.

Cold weather is definitely a plus for bacon, we're able to keep those temps down much easier.

I'm tempted to get a small walk-in cooler set up outside just for doing bacon in the summer months, I rarely have a chance in summer due to the workload of the Oyler, I can't seem to find any time that its empty to be able to get bacon in.
laserdoc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07 14 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK on the 24 hours. My amaze pellet tray will go 12 hours so I will load it up twice. I started at 6 am the last time so I will reload it and let it go all night on the second load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: