FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 9:31 pm    Post subject: Ribs Reply with quote

Do you guys buy STLs from the supplier or Spares and cut them down yourself? Spares are running $1.79/lb (9/4.2 down) and STL $2.70/lb (16/3lb avg) here right now.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time to trim and can make money from it, buy full racks and cut them. If not buy the already trimmed.

Back when I was at a place that did some Q, I always trimmed my self. I got a better return on the "rib tips" than the actual rib so I could then sell the ribs a bit cheaper than I would have otherwise. Granted we just did them as specials. They were not a regular menu item.

Another option is go TX on it and sell full spares not STL cut. I appreciate both ways but prefer full .
jbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have looked at serving full spares, but the smoker space would kill us.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 14 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from full spares, to STL then back to full spares again.

Quality and consistency was killing me, i'd see different shapes, major weight variances, I couldn't get 2 slabs that looked alike for long periods. I used to trim to STL, but that was overloading me with work, I tried to teach other people how to trim, and they would butcher the task, so I gave up on all trimming, I do not even peel ribs anymore

What I do now is serve a 4-pc or 6-pc rib dinner using untrimmed full spares, and run a "Rib-end" special a few times a week . I am also looking at doing "add a few ribs" to any menu item for a few extra bucks. This gives us better consistency on the plate.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 14 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy fresh full spares and trim down to 2 - 1 lb portions after they are cooked. I have to hand pick my cases at Restaurant Depot to get heavy enough cases to get the yield. No one can deliver consistent and large enough fresh ribs every week here. In your situation I think I would go with the St Louis. Problem there is your food cost. I like the extra profit from the rib tips and the lower overall food cost, which allows me better menu pricing and more money in the bank. Full spares are a total win win for me.
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have hand trimmed full to a custom St. Louie for seven years now and would do it no other way. First you have to be able to use the scraps. There are several things that we do to maximize yield and limit waste first of all is the menu, we only sell fresh out of the smoker on Friday and Saturday nights until we sell out to create a need . Next only half and whole racks. And best of all is the dinner for two special....one full rack two large sides for $3 less than two half rack dinners, no need to hide a small end half or use two slabs to make two matching halfs at a table.
Combos always get the small half.
We trim just the meat off the spares for ground, cube for different sides, homemade sausage and all kinds of other uses. Only thing I toss is the Brest bone and from time to time we make stock with those.

Gasser!
jbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25 14 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have found that smoking spares whole and trimming as they go out of the kitchen is working good for us right now. We can not keep ribs in "stock" so we must be doing it right.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25 14 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbass wrote:
We have found that smoking spares whole and trimming as they go out of the kitchen is working good for us right now. We can not keep ribs in "stock" so we must be doing it right.

Same here, then we pick the cartlege out of the trim and dice for rib tip sammies. Reheating tips with sauce. Money in the bank!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26 14 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do full spares, and offer 4 pc, 6pc, and full slabs
Our spares are 4.9# average.

I used to do STL, but I couldn't move the tips outside of the summer months, and if I was not the person trimming, they were not cut correctly.
nskitts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03 14 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some good prices, I must be getting skinned by GFS.

I was using SL, but then went to baby back as they were cheaper and already come de-membraned which cuts labor a little.
Bubba's BBQ Shack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 14 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We primarily sell by the rack / half rack. We had been doing spares and one day we decided to analyze the cases. We looked at spares, baby back and slc. Seen how many racks were in a case divided by the cost of the case and determined we were making more money on the slc or baby backs (we check each event because it does fluctuate). With that said, we do not currently vend a lot so our case could be different than yours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: