FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkey Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 14 8:17 am    Post subject: Turkey Help Reply with quote

I am looking for turkey recipes to follow. Maybe even a step by step instruction. I've done the hurricane turkey (I believe that is what it is called) that Alien has posted. It was good but I might try something different or one of each. Also any suggestions would help. I've read that some guys smoke up to 325 deg. It seems like that would shorten the smoking time but it seems you would sacrifice smoke flavor. When I have smoked before it took roughly 10-12 hours so a shorter cook time sounds nice. What internal temp should I look for? Also I am using and Oklahoma Joe offset to do it. Sorry for the book. Any help would be appreciated.
diehardlobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 14 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I'm thinking my best time to smoke will be Sunday before Thanksgiving or Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Any recommendations on reheating for Thanksgiving day?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 14 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you plan to serve the bird hot or cold?

A simple brine will help with serving hot, a brine with a cure if you plan to serve it cold.

cooking, cooling fast enough, and reheating is asking for trouble IMO,

To serve hot, run the pit at 300 or higher, cook to 165 internal, let it rest for 20 minutes and serve
diehardlobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 14 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to serve it hot. I think I have decided to do it Thanksgiving morning. It doesn't seem like it should take too long if cooked long enough. The turkeys I have, have already been brined or come pre-brined. What did you mean to brine with a cure. I am just not sure what a cure is, sorry but I am still new with some of the terminology when it comes to smoking. Any ideas on rubs or spices to use?
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 14 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 to 12 hours for a turkey??? And it didn't dry out or get oversmoked? There's a rule of thumb for food safety, especially poultry. It shouldn't dwell at a temperature between 40° to 140° for a period over 4 hours. That's the prime temperature for bacteria growth such as Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella Enteritidis, Escherichia coli O157:H7, and Campylobacter. I think Harry is suggesting that you cure the bird if you're going for those long cook times or are going to cook and cool. You would use something along the lines of Morton Tender Quick This is a method for food preservation and to help allude bacteria growth just as you would do with a slab of bacon for example.

With all that being said, poultry does better at higher cooking temperatures... 300° +. I personally brine my birds, intentionally keep them a small weight, and smoke them at a higher temperature. I've always been able to produce a juicy tasty outcome in around 3 hours +/-. I'm looking for an internal temperature of 165° before I pull them from the cooker.

I generally don't go crazy with rubs but here's a recent thread on the subject; http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67550

I hope this helps. Ask away if you got any more questions.

Footnote: Don't brine a turkey that has already been "processed" or injected with "solution" from the factory. You'll end up with a very salty bird. Just run with it out of the bag. I buy natural / fresh turkeys that haven't had the injections or been pre-brined, so I can brine to my taste.

Edit: Here's a resource for Turkey 101 including a brine that optionally uses Tender Quick; http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokin-Okies-101-Series/Turkey-101#_Toc56643400
diehardlobo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26 14 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Smokin. When I did it before I smoked it at about 225-250 about the same as do my ribs and brisket. Yes it took forever. One of the times it seemed like it got a little dried out but every other time I thought it was pretty good. Not saying I am going to win comps with it but it was to my liking. I will check out the 101 and the spices. Appreciate the help.
BBQ Love

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 16 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlobo wrote:
Thanks for the help Smokin. When I did it before I smoked it at about 225-250 about the same as do my ribs and brisket. Yes it took forever.
Quote:
One of the times it seemed like it got a little dried out but every other time I thought it was pretty good.
Not saying I am going to win comps with it but it was to my liking. I will check out the 101 and the spices. Appreciate the help.

In my experience anything poultry like, turkey or chicken are cooked better at the slightly higher temps at around 275F-300F (135C-149C). Anything lower and I have experienced a dried out bird. And the worst part is it makes the skin tough like leather.

I wrote a page that shows injecting with butter creole injection, brown sugar rub, smoked. Illustrated using images and video. Take a look if you wish. http://bbqlove.net/2016/10/19/smoked-turkey-butter-creole-injected-brown-sugar-rub/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: