FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food Saver Model 2440 Not Drawing Proper Vacuum...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 21 2014    Post subject: Food Saver Model 2440 Not Drawing Proper Vacuum... Reply with quote

Anyone else here experience this problem? My unit is about 7 years old and has been through MANY vacuum and sealing cycles.

I'm thinking the vacuum chamber seals (gaskets) have collapsed and will not allow proper vacuum before the sealing cycle.

Probably would be wise to store it WITHOUT putting it away in the "Lock" position, which, IMHO would cause premature failure of these seals.

Anyone else here want to offer their "Cause and Effect" version? Shocked Laughing Laughing

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
BBQClive

PostPosted: Nov 22 2014    Post subject: Vac Sealer Reply with quote

Mine started to loose it's seal. All I did was wipe the 2 seal sponges with a damp cloth. Also make sure that the bag goes right down into the tray.
Hope this helps.

Clive.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Nov 23 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the model number I have but I'm having issues with mine too..same thing as you Tony. I wiped down the seals and made sure the bag was in properly but no love.

And it want be long before our annual grind fest where we grind all the deer meat from this season from the freezer and grind it into burger and sausage. So got to fix it or get another one. I would rather fix the one I have.

--Dan
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

Many many moons ago I use to work with sealing machines, they used a metal strip covered with a teflon ribbon as bag sealers, every so often they would start to have problems sealing the bags.

It was a 3 or 4 hour job, to shut down the machine, take off the sealing strip and clean the strip and the ribbon, make sure there were no breaks in either and reassemble the machine.

On the seals for the vacuum, they can get stiff with age or where a liquid has spilled on them, you might try taking them off and 1) cleaning them, or 2) seeing if they offer a revitalizing or conditioning liquid to help restore the seals.

I still work here!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

On my old one, the vacuum pump got full of gunk and it wouldn't pull enough air. On my new(er) one, the bag has to be put in with the rough side up, or it won't evacuate enough air or seal correctly. It just started doing that about a year ago. I dunno why, and it drives my nuts when I forget.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

Tony it has served you well...7 years......you most likely got your moneys worth. Very Happy
I say put it to rest and buy a new machine...might even make a great Christmas gift to yourself. Wink Laughing
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
OLE GAR

PostPosted: Nov 23 2014    Post subject: SEAL A MEAL Reply with quote

Open it up, take the little tray out, lots of hot soapy water and an old tooth brush work great. Get all the gunk out of the slots then go after the pocket where the tray nests. A damp scrubbing pad -DO NOT LET WATER RUN DOWN INSIDE - just clean out till the tray moves freely up and down and the return springs work freely. Look for some possible encrustation at the bottom of the pocket. If cleaning fails to do the job then your lottle pump might be worn out.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 23 2014    Post subject: Re: SEAL A MEAL Reply with quote

OLE GAR wrote:
Open it up, take the little tray out, lots of hot soapy water and an old tooth brush work great. Get all the gunk out of the slots then go after the pocket where the tray nests. A damp scrubbing pad -DO NOT LET WATER RUN DOWN INSIDE - just clean out till the tray moves freely up and down and the return springs work freely. Look for some possible encrustation at the bottom of the pocket. If cleaning fails to do the job then your lottle pump might be worn out.

Ummm... I'm an Industrial Engineer (Retired) ... Respectfully, I never put my gear away DIRTY...It's as clean as the day I bought it. Wink
My question was if anyone here has experienced the same problem as I have.

Be that as it may, I purchased a new set of vacuum seals (gaskets) and she is running as well now as the day that I bought it! Laughing

What I'll do now is leave it in the unlocked position when I store it to avoid any seal to seal pressure that probably caused the failure of the seals originally.Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Nov 24 2014    Post subject: Tony Reply with quote

I think you are on the right path with your thinking. Dad had one for almost 6-7 years before handing it down to me. when I got it, it was doing the same thing. I replaced the seals and like you said, store it in the unlocked position. have not had a problem since.

Modified ECB
UDS
Cal-B-Que
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Nov 24 2014    Post subject: Re: SEAL A MEAL Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
OLE GAR wrote:

Ummm... I'm an Industrial Engineer (Retired) ... Respectfully, I never put my gear away DIRTY...It's as clean as the day I bought it. Wink

Be that as it may, I purchased a new set of vacuum seals (gaskets) and she is running as well now as the day that I bought it! Laughing

What I'll do now is leave it in the unlocked position when I store it to avoid any seal to seal pressure that probably caused the failure of the seals originally.Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Ummm; Ole Gear did not know about your past profession or cleaning habits, Tony. Don't be an ass to someone that is trying to help you out. Rolling Eyes

I have the same model and would have had the same advice. All of my vacuum problems have been a result of too much liquid being sucked into the tray. I clean it out and dry it upside down before re-assembly.

Weber Smokey Mountain
Chargriller Akorn Kamado Kooker
Chargriller Pro
Weber Performer
Lodge Logic Hibachi Grill
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Nov 24 2014    Post subject: Re: SEAL A MEAL Reply with quote

Cal-B-Que wrote:
Ummm; Ole Gear did not know about your past profession or cleaning habits, Tony. Don't be an ass to someone that is trying to help you out. Rolling Eyes

^^^^^^^
This is being an A$$. Rolling Eyes
I have highlighted some words in Tony's origional post that tells me his post was sincere and not being brash or mean.
I know Tony personally do you Cal-B-Que? Your post here is nothing more than trying to start a flame war. This will not happen here I promise you this.
If you want argue senseless stuff in a P.M. I will be glad to oblige but not here. Very Happy

Tony wrote:

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Nov 25 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone needs to back away from the keyboard, please feel free to do it, before I have to pay too much additional attention to this thread!

YHABW!

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: