FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why is my turkey so salty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20 14 11:33 pm    Post subject: why is my turkey so salty? Reply with quote

I've brined a turkey four times, each time reducing the amount of time it has been brined, yet I feel it still comes out too salty.

The ratio I have is 1 cup of salt per gallon of water, I end up using 2 gallons of water, ie 2 cups of salt. Plus other stuff - sugars, spices, etc. Nothing else.

FIrst time I brined it, I did it for 24 hours, but way too salty. 2nd time, I reduced it to 12 hours, but still too salty. 3rd and 4th time, it was 6-8 hours, but again, still too salty. I can tell you it's not just me - even my friends say the same thing, a bit salty.

Am I on the right track here?
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20 14 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question I have to ask is..... Was it an enhanced turkey?

Did it have any fine print on it saying that it had been injected with a 7%/12%/15% solution?
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should have stated the obvious - these are not enhanced turkeys. These are typically the butterball turkeys from Costco.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Butter Balls were already shot full of salt and other stuff. The website says 9% sodium.
I would not use a brine on butterballs. I just roll with them as is.
We buy Jenny O birds and brine them for up to 30 hours on a 15 lb bird with Smokin' Okie's Holiday brine. The Jenny O birds have a 7% solution.

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gain nothing by brining a Turkey more than once!

The first time you brined it should have been enough, to brine it again an additional 3 times is part of what you are doing wrong!

OK so I'll assume you did the 4 brines with 4 different birds, but if I was correct about 1 bird and 4 brines, that would be the explanation! Wink Laughing Wink

There are several different Turkey products from Butterball, but if the Turkeys were frozen, then they contain an 8% solution, and therefore it is coming pre-brined. http://www.butterball.com/products/whole-turkeys/frozen-whole-turkey

I go with a Fresh Turkey, I've used Butterball, Jenne-O, and locally sold Fresh birds, in the 18 - 22 lb birds that I buy, and they take a 24 hour brine with no problems.

I have also done frozen Turkeys, (by mistake, I didn't read the bag and they do come out too salty if you brine them again.

I'm sure some of it comes down to the type of salt that is used in commercial brining, I use Sea Salt for my brines and I don't think the Turkey producers do.

I still work here!
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to brine, either fresh or Kosher turkey is the way to go. Almost every brand of frozen bird I've seen is injected.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
If you're going to brine, either fresh or Kosher turkey is the way to go. Almost every brand of frozen bird I've seen is injected.

That Ain't No Lie!

Good Call, Big Orson. Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
crb478
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to look for turkeys that have not already had enhancements, most grocery stores will not carry them. Adding more salt is not helping. Look for local farms or organic stores if you want to brine turkeys.
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22 14 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes SoEzzy, four different turkeys 😊. Costco sells the fresh butterball turkeys. I am trying it again this weekend and will double check the packaging, am pretty sure it is not injected. Will report back again.
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 2:19 am    Post subject: Rinse, rinse, rinse! Reply with quote

Did you rinse them really, really well?
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brined a Jenny-O this past week and it came a bit salty at first but I let it rest for about an hour in a cooler that had been pre-heated and the saltiness faded. I use either Kosher Salt or Sea Salt myself so I don't get the iodine in my bird. This is the first year I tried a Jenny-O and I must say I was not impressed with the texture of the bird. I like Butterball a lot better.

In case anyone is wondering. The birds (I did two) were still moist and hot when I pulled them out to carve.

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rinse, rinse, rinse! Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
Did you rinse them really, really well?

Hmm, you may be onto something here. Maybe you folks could tell me how to rinse it properly? That could be my problem, I give it a rinse, but maybe not a thorough one.
Cal-B-Que
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/16th salt to water and just do it overnight, so for every 4 quarts water, I cup of kosher salt.

After the brine I soak the turkey for 5 minutes in cold fresh water, then pat dry and air dry in fridge for at least a few hours (for crispier skin). Bring turkey out for 1 -2 hours at room temp before smoking and neglect the food safety dummies who will terrify you about having the turkey out that long before cooking. It is OK.

FYI; I did a butterball two weeks ago and an off brand last week; no difference in the results. They were both fantastic. Everyone says Butterball is better; I think they have fantastic marketing but see nothing better in their turkeys.

Weber Smokey Mountain
Chargriller Akorn Kamado Kooker
Chargriller Pro
Weber Performer
Lodge Logic Hibachi Grill
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal-B-Que wrote:
Bring turkey out for 1 -2 hours at room temp before smoking and neglect the food safety dummies who will terrify you about having the turkey out that long before cooking. It is OK.

Please share a qualified reference (USDA, CDC, Academic, etc.) that says it is "ok" to leave poultry out for a couple of hours at room temperature. The last time I checked, which was recently, the 40/140 rule was still in effect. If that's no longer true anymore I would like to get that information from a qualified resource. Thanks.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal-B-Que wrote:
Bring turkey out for 1 -2 hours at room temp before smoking and neglect the food safety dummies who will terrify you about having the turkey out that long before cooking. It is OK.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This is wrong on so many levels. Rolling Eyes

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: