FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting Weber to natural gas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBeGood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 3:59 am    Post subject: Converting Weber to natural gas? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm thinking to run natural gas line from the utility meter to the back porch and buying conversion kit for my Weber Genesis and I was told that food might have different taste because utility adds hydrogen sulfide ie. https://pse.com/SAFETY/NATURALGASSAFETY/Pages/Detect-a-Leak.aspx
Did anyone had a experience with this?

Thanks!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, ...Yes. Wink

I have owned-and still grill on- a Weber Genesis 1000 that I purchased from Sears in 1991.

It is natural gas fired and was manufactured that way from their factory. If a Natural Gas fired appliance such as mine was
detrimental to one's health, be sure that Weber-Stevens would never have been able to market them. (And still do.)

This is the first line of a sentence from the link that you posted.

"Clean burning natural gas is odorless, colorless and non-toxic in its natural state and it is flammable."

The subject of gas fired grills having an "Off-gassing taste" or tasting sulphur-like is pure Bull$h!t !

Be it L.P. (Propane), Natural Gas or for that matter, Elephant Farts,- I defy anyone here to provide DEFINITIVE proof that these gases-once ignited and burned- prove distasteful as a
fuel source for grilling,smoking or otherwise cooking food.

(Ummm..Not sure about the Elephant Farts, though.Confused )

Hey...How many Natural Gas fired kitchen stove/ranges are there world wide? Laughing Wink

This is Solely My opinion on this subject matter...

YMMV...MDN. Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No utility I know of adds hydrogen sulfide to natural gas.

Hydrogen sulfide is a corrosion agent and is a substance you can go "noseblind" to at elevated concentrations (to borrow a word from Febreze), which makes its presence a safety hazard.

Utilities typically add methyl mercaptan or more commonly ethyl mercaptan for leak detection. The threshold for human nose detection for these substances is typically less than one part per billion in air.

The concentrations added by the utility companies are very small due to the extremely low odor threshold detection, and these substances when combusted produce carbon dioxide and water vapor (much like natural gas) plus sulfur dioxide.

These same substances (again typically ethyl mercaptan) are also added to propane used for combustion (propane used for petrochemical processes typically doesn't have an odorant added because of the high purity required for petrochemical use).

It would be amazing to me if anyone condenses enough sulfur dioxide onto their food from odorized gas combustion to find any detectable change in flavor when grilling or smoking food. Are you condensing water vapor from the hot combustion gases bathing your food in moisture while it cooks using odorized or even unodorized gas?
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On The Money, Robert! Wink

Oh...natural gas does contain a small amount of...GASP...

Hydrogen Sulfide Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Last edited by Tony on Mon Nov 24 14 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in a house for a couple of years that had a natural gas grill. I can't say that I experienced any weird taste to the food I cooked. I've also done some cooking with a natural gas oven with nothing to take notice about. One things for sure... it beats the heck out of having to tote tanks to get refilled.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that NG or LP won't kill you with whatever-the-hell-they-put-in-there-to-make-it-stinky Laughing Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: