FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailer Question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13 14 2:30 pm    Post subject: Trailer Question? Reply with quote

Hello all, So I'm kicking around the idea of building a new bbq trailer 14 to 16 ft long and 7ft wide with tandem axles, I would like to build it as lite as possible, but not compromise on safety. I've been checking out some trailer web sites a they say there using 2x4 or 2x6 by 11ga metal for there frames, this seems kind of flimsy to me so I was wondering what you guys thought?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13 14 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Question? Reply with quote

EPC wrote:
Hello all, So I'm kicking around the idea of building a new bbq trailer 14 to 16 ft long and 7ft wide with tandem axles, I would like to build it as lite as possible, but not compromise on safety. I've been checking out some trailer web sites a they say there using 2x4 or 2x6 by 11ga metal for there frames, this seems kind of flimsy to me so I was wondering what you guys thought?

Building a trailer is all about structural design. You can use very light material on certain trailers because other components such as flooring and walls make up the strength.
The same holds true to using 11 gauge tubing for trailers, the rectangular tube is stronger than square tubing when used in its vertical position, if you use the rectangular tube in its horizontal position it is no stronger than the square tubing.
Spacing of cross members, the way your tongue ties in all play a part in the structural design.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 14 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my trailers 18' or less, I use 2x4 11ga for the outer frame of the trailer, and either 2x2 11ga or 2.5x2.5 11ga for the cross members. Over 18' I use 2x6 11ga for the frame work and 2x3 or 2x4 11ga for cross members. That does vary sometimes depending on what the application is but that is my general build material. I do use 1/4" tubing for my tongue rails on all trailers. As Kevin mentioned, placement of components and other materials add to the structural design and also give you the strength in a build.

The main thing you want to do when using tubing during a trailer build is get your trailer framed out complete and tacked together and then go back and weld everything up. Make sure when you weld, you skip around front to back, side to side or whatever to avoid the tubing from warping a little on you. There are ways to get the warp out if it happens, but a little extra time spent while welding will eliminate most any warp problems you might have.
EPC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 14 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info K.A.M & TrailerBuilder that will sure cut down on material cost, so do you still use 11ga sq tube on the over head structure? and if so what size would you suggest?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 14 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uprights on my canopy are 1.5" x 3/16" square tubing. The lateral pieces are 1.25" x 1/8" square tubing. The wings are 1" x 1/8" square tubing.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: