FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indoor Smoking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoScott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 14 9:56 pm    Post subject: Indoor Smoking? Reply with quote

As winter approaches, a thought came to mind. I work in my shop most weekends, and in the summer the drum smoker sits out front so I can keep an eye on it. Is there any reason I couldn't plump the exhaust outside and smoke this winter? No different then a wood stove right? My drum smokers are very air tight. Thanks Scott.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 14 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that you don't have enough heat to support the draw needed to get the exhaust out an extended chimney. A wood stove's exhaust is over 800°, catalytic stoves more in the range of 600°, which is why it works the way it does. You'll probably see the exhaust of your UDS cooling down, getting denser, and collapsing on itself when using an extended chimney.
BroncoScott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, what about a short stack extension? I was thinking of having the smoker next to a wall with the exhaust going out a modified window opening. So maybe extending the exhaust 18"s ?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of installing a smoke evacuation vent hood over the smoker along with the exhaust like a BBQ restaurant uses for their smokers I would scrap the idea.
These are just my thoughts I hope it helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought occurred to me why this is a bad idea. If the cooker was inside your shop there are times when the lids off to either start the fire, adjust the fuel/fire or to tend to the meat. You'll be exposing yourself and the shop to carbon monoxide when that lid is off.
BroncoScott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burning lump I didn't think smoke would be much of an issue. And any carbon monoxide / smoke wouldn't be any different then a wood stove in a shop. The fumes from welding, plasma cutting, and torches can't be good for you either. Are the off gasses from lump worse? I'll probably hold off on the idea for now.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoScott wrote:
Burning lump I didn't think smoke would be much of an issue. And any carbon monoxide / smoke wouldn't be any different then a wood stove in a shop. The fumes from welding, plasma cutting, and torches can't be good for you either. Are the off gasses from lump worse? I'll probably hold off on the idea for now.

You open the lid to check meat the smoke is expelling carbon monoxide into the room. Simply put it is a dangerous proposition, one that should not be done.

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having an indoor smoker is a great idea, so let me play devil's advocate here -
BroncoScott wrote:
The fumes from welding, plasma cutting, and torches.

Are very dangerous and probably not good for you.
BroncoScott wrote:
Are the off gasses from lump worse?

I would speculate that they are probably not nearly as bad. I'm no rocket scientist (necron99, where are you? Get it? Car 54...Oh, nevermind Laughing ), but I wouldn't think a quick opening of a basically airtight cooker would introduce enough carbon monoxide to make much of a difference in air quality. An active shop produces a lot of fumes from different sources and unless it's well ventilated you're breathing some sort of contaminants constantly. How many times have you breathed in smoke from your cooker when you open the lid or doors? I'll bet you breathe in some amount of smoke every single time. So what's the difference?

The exhaust draw is the biggest challenge, IMO. Maybe some kind of heating tape wrapped around the chimney to keep it warm so the smoke doesn't stall? Like the kind used to keep water pipes warm? Food for thought and JM3C, because I would love to have a lil smoker in my basement, for wintertime, without spending $$$$ on a commercial cooker.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I think having an indoor smoker is a great idea, so let me play devil's advocate here -
BroncoScott wrote:

BroncoScott wrote:

I would speculate that they are probably not nearly as bad. I'm no rocket scientist (necron99, where are you? Get it? Car 54...Oh, nevermind Laughing ), but I wouldn't think a quick opening of a basically airtight cooker would introduce enough carbon monoxide to make much of a difference in air quality. An active shop produces a lot of fumes from different sources and unless it's well ventilated you're breathing some sort of contaminants constantly. How many times have you breathed in smoke from your cooker when you open the lid or doors? I'll bet you breathe in some amount of smoke every single time. So what's the difference?

The exhaust draw is the biggest challenge, IMO. Maybe some kind of heating tape wrapped around the chimney to keep it warm so the smoke doesn't stall? Like the kind used to keep water pipes warm? Food for thought and JM3C, because I would love to have a lil smoker in my basement, for wintertime, without spending $$$$ on a commercial cooker.

Bugs, is this a drunk post? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
BroncoScott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original comparison was to a wood stove in the shop. How much carbon monoxide comes out when you open the door to stoke the fire or add wood? This was just a thought I wanted to share with you guys. I could end up with an exhaust fan and hood in my shop Rolling Eyes
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
BUGSnBBQ wrote:
BroncoScott wrote:

BroncoScott wrote:

Uhhhh....No. Evil or Very Mad I thought the OP's idea was a neat one and I was trying to give some alternative thoughts instead of saying 'No, that won't work'. There's an old saying - 'Those who stand around saying it won't work are usually the one's watching the one who is doing it'.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
BUGSnBBQ wrote:
BroncoScott wrote:

BroncoScott wrote:

Uhhhh....No. Evil or Very Mad I thought the OP's idea was a neat one and I was trying to give some alternative thoughts instead of saying 'No, that won't work'. There's an old saying - 'Those who stand around saying it won't work are usually the one's watching the one who is doing it'.

Well I apologize then. Carry on. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoScott wrote:
My original comparison was to a wood stove in the shop. How much carbon monoxide comes out when you open the door to stoke the fire or add wood? This was just a thought I wanted to share with you guys. I could end up with an exhaust fan and hood in my shop Rolling Eyes

The big difference is as mentioned by Smokin Mike, you don't run a wood stove at 250, more like 800 to 900, and at those temperatures the draw will often suck back any fumes that escape the door, as you open it to load more wood, rake the coals etc.

If I was going to try and do it, I would make a fume cabinet with an extractor fan, an external air source, and have the doors close to create an air tight area, that will not effect the rest of the garage.

Other than going that extra mile, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

JM2C YMMV MDN!

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I was trying to give some alternative thoughts instead of saying 'No, that won't work'. There's an old saying - 'Those who stand around saying it won't work are usually the one's watching the one who is doing it'.

Bugs, I never said it wouldn't work. In fact I gave him a perfectly safe resolution to his problem.
Here:
k.a.m. wrote:
Short of installing a smoke evacuation vent hood over the smoker along with the exhaust like a BBQ restaurant uses for their smokers I would scrap the idea.
These are just my thoughts I hope it helps. Very Happy

I am a long ways from a stand around guy saying it cannot be done. If you want to call me paranoid over smoke inhalation then so be it. You can feel free to come behind me in every post and shout to the roof tops just gitter done and let God sort them out later I could care less.
Again, I apologize if I hurt your feelings I thought we could joke a bit. I will be more on my toes next go around where your feelings are concerned.

Hybrid Cooker
woodpelletpits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opening lid and checking meat/fire can be ignored.
But the potential leakage can kill you.
A few pieces of beef and pork are not worth of risk you will face.
Why do not place UDS outdoor and wrap it by fire blanket
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m - My feelings weren't hurt at all. Sorry if I came across like that. I guess working 7 days a week lately made me sound like a jerk. The reason I was thinking the OP is a neat idea is I have a cool (cold) spot in the corner of our basement that the wife and I have been debating about what to do with. Wood stove, fireplace, Alien's heat bench thingy, etc. Having a cooker down there is another option. We've been tossing around ideas to see if anything sticks. I'd like a fireplace with a rotisserie big enough for a whole hog, but that's not gonna happen Laughing WOMEN! Laughing Laughing

woodpelletpits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
k.a.m - My feelings weren't hurt at all. Sorry if I came across like that. I guess working 7 days a week lately made me sound like a jerk. The reason I was thinking the OP is a neat idea is I have a cool (cold) spot in the corner of our basement that the wife and I have been debating about what to do with. Wood stove, fireplace, Alien's heat bench thingy, etc. Having a cooker down there is another option. We've been tossing around ideas to see if anything sticks. I'd like a fireplace with a rotisserie big enough for a whole hog, but that's not gonna happen Laughing WOMEN! Laughing Laughing

why not a pizza oven by brick and cement
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 14 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
There's an old saying - 'Those who stand around saying it won't work are usually the one's watching the one who is doing it'.

Bugs, I'm 100% with you on the idea that creative thinking should be encouraged, not stifled. I myself love to do something that others nay say. With that being said I have to disagree with this indoor cooker concept. I'm doing this (disagreeing) because I like you (see note #1) and the rest of the gang here. Think about the risk vs. the gain. CO is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is a silent deadly killer.

Think about the logistics of getting a fire started, attaching extended chimneys, removing the chimney and putting your meat on the grate, reattaching the chimney, checking the meat, and so on. All while the exhaust from the coals is going 100% into the room. There's a big difference doing this in a contained room with no relief air, vs. being outside in open atmosphere. I guess I could go on and on but if you don't believe me then ask a firefighter buddy what he thinks about the idea.

Note 1: This doesn't mean we're going to be taking showers until the wee hours of the morning. Quote: Clint Eastwood as Gunnery Sergeant Highway in Heartbreak Ridge.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04 14 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knocking your idea, but is stepping outside to peek at it
really that big of a deal? I smoke all winter it the cold & snow.
My UDS & WSM both do great in the cold. Very Happy

As for keeping an eye on it, maybe a remote thermometer
with a high & low temp alarm?

And if you are worried about the cold and wind, it seems that
some insulation & a wind break would be cheaper & safer than
having a charcoal cooker indoors.

I personally think a wood stove setup is one thing, but taking
the lid off of a UDS is another.

While I respect your idea & creative thinking, if I did it, I would
end up spending hundreds of dollars on a hood & vent system,
proper exhaust, fire extinguishers, etc.

For me personally it would not be worth it. Plus the fact that I
enjoy running outside to check it, then running back into the
shop to hover by the wood stove.
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
BroncoScott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04 14 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beertooth, it's not that big of a deal to check on it outside. I've never smoked in winter with temps in the 10's or 20's. I was just asking if anyone had done it, or what reasons not to. Which is what I got, and thank everyone. So it's not a big deal. Just having a conversation, if you will, with like minded individuals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: