FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot and Fast Shoulders and Breast...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 14 7:32 am    Post subject: Hot and Fast Shoulders and Breast... Reply with quote

Yeah...I know- Sounds a Bit Off Color But Y'all Know That I Would NEVER Post ANYTHING off color Here. Shocked Laughing

Had a Couple of 8 Lb. Store Bought Shoulders, Non-Enhanced
and a Freebie Turkey Breast That My Wife Scored around Easter, 2014.

Seen One-Seen 'Em All,I Guess but I just wanted to Sorta'
Chronicle How This "Hot and Fast" Cook Went For us Here.

First and Foremost, Thanks to Big Jake for His Great Youtube Video on How He Went About His...Thanks, Big Jake! Cool Wink

I Cooked Mine a Bit Different than Big Jake's as an Experiment and Because I Was Balls-Assed Racing Against the Proverbial Weekend Clock to Get These hunks o' meat Done! Shocked Laughing

The Shoulders-Trimmed,Rubbed and Wrapped Overnight...

Turkey Breast After 8 Hour Brine in Smokin' Okies' Holiday
Turkey Brine, Rinsed ,Dried in 'Fridge Over Night and Rubbed With EVOO to Enhance Skin Crispiness While in the Smoker.

'Fridge Smoker Temps Much Higher Than We Normally Cook
Grub in It...

Turkey Breast Out First- One Hour and about 20 Minutes at
350 ' F - Internal Temp- 170'F...Skin Crispy as Desired. Wink

Wasn't So Concerned About The Turkey Breast as I Was About the Shoulders...Concern Was Centered on Internal Breakdown of Fats, Tissue, etc. in such a short cooking period at elevated temps...Went Like This-

First Shoulder Out after 4-1/2 Hours @ 350'F Cooker temp-
205 Internal...

Second Shoulder went another 45 Minutes Until We pulled It @ 200' F. ...

And The Sequence of Operations as We All Know..

Number Two...

A Pan Full of What We Set Out For...

Gotta' Be Honest Here-( Shocked Laughing ) Was a Labor to Get Some Of This Meat Apart But I Pulled It While it Was VERY HOT! Mad Sauced it All Before I Vacuumed Packed It Into 10 oz. Bags. Was Tender But NOT what I Usually Produce @ 250-275'F for Probably 8-11 Hours. (Small Shoulders.)

Don't Think I will Attempt This in This Manner Again But All in All ..

"Y'all Get Back From the Labor of Cooking What Y'all Put Into The Cook." Wink

That's How It Went Down...Thanks 'fer Peekin' in Here! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 14 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all looks good to me Tony.

Every now and then I cook shoulders hot and fast, usually because I don't want to start really early. Embarassed

If you have the time it helps to wrap them up tight in foil and let them rest a couple hours in a cooler. That makes it easier to pull the meat, well it has for me anyways.

By the way the turkey looks great. I have thought of doing a test turkey to see how it goes, before Thanksgiving Very Happy
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 14 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the turkey looking great, I'm still working towards crispier skin on my smoked turkeys. My smoked chicken has crispy skin but turkey is a WIP for me.

I haven't done a H&F pork butt yet and based on your experience I'll have to be really pressed for time like you were to give it a try.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 14 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, the bird looks awesome and can't say the pork looks shabby either. I'd face plant in either one of those. Nice job!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06 14 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful color on both the breast and shoulders Tony. The pulled pork looks mighty tasty. Nicely done my Man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 14 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whall wrote:
It all looks good to me Tony.

Every now and then I cook shoulders hot and fast, usually because I don't want to start really early. Embarassed

If you have the time it helps to wrap them up tight in foil and let them rest a couple hours in a cooler. That makes it easier to pull the meat, well it has for me anyways.

By the way the turkey looks great. I have thought of doing a test turkey to see how it goes, before Thanksgiving Very Happy

Thanks, whall- Appreciate Your Input ... I NEVER cook Hot and Fast and Most Likely, Won't Again! Laughing Wink

This was largely an experiment based on Big Jake's Video and Constraints based on My Fughed -Up Week-end Time
Schedule. Laughing I ALWAYS rest my Pork butts/ shoulders after removing from the cooker before pulling...Wasn't the case this time but I CAN'T say the Grub Was Bad! Wink

Thanks Robert...Higher Temps in the Smoke Worked for Me this time as for Crisp Skin. Wink

Mikey...Time Will Tell as We Froze the Pulled Porkright away but we are being called to the table for Sliced Smoked Turked/Gravy,etc. Wink

Thanks Kevin...I'm as Old School as You When It comes to Bein' Set In My Ways( Actually - More Than a few Years!)
Be That as It May- I'll Stick to My Tried and True Methods,
Works 'Fer Me Every Time...(Almost! Shocked Laughing )

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
TheSA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 14 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Tony! I'm new to the site and already loving it!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 14 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I all too often finding myself NEEDING to do hot n fast vending some of the big gig's we do [ that or sell out, not a good option in my financial world Wink ] I wrap them around 170° and have great results! Yes, wrapping loses the crunch of the bark, but when its gotta get done / go, its gotta go! A guy could un-wrap for the last bit of a cook to crunch it back up if needed, I dont. The flavor and texture works out just fine, and most folks at festivals dont know what good bark is all about anyhow...same goes with brisket " whats with the line of fat".... Sad .....Sad to see what the word of crock pots have done to ruin a great BBQ sammich tradition! Crying or Very sad I try to keep a good crunchy butt and brisket for those "in the know" - but those too just gotta go out the window as sales mandate Smile
The vast majority of my food truck and 'raunt "competition" cook their pork in a crock, slathers it in SBR [ at best] , and calls it BBQ..Most, if not all around here smoke 1 day a week and reheat in a steamer Sad ...We are a blessed bunch to be able to get / make the "good stuff", which CAN come "hot n fast"!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09 14 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.03 (inflation and all Laughing ) - That Turkey breast looks outstanding! The PP...Well, JMHO but I don't see much of a smoke ring on it, and it doesn't look all that juicy (maybe it's the pic?). I haven't tried 350 yet (maybe someday), but I always do my butts @ 275 and it seems to shave a couple hours off the cook time of the big ones (11-12lb) vs 225. Thanks for posting the results. Gives me something to think about as to whether I want to try H&F on a butt. I've done ribs @ 350+ using a local product called Tenda Rub and they came out great.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09 14 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
My $.03 (inflation and all Laughing ) - That Turkey breast looks outstanding! The PP...Well, JMHO but I don't see much of a smoke ring on it, and it doesn't look all that juicy (maybe it's the pic?). I haven't tried 350 yet (maybe someday), but I always do my butts @ 275 and it seems to shave a couple hours off the cook time of the big ones (11-12lb) vs 225. Thanks for posting the results. Gives me something to think about as to whether I want to try H&F on a butt. I've done ribs @ 350+ using a local product called Tenda Rub and they came out great.

Hey, Bugs Cool ...As I had previously Indicated- Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing - This Was largely an Experiment. Wink

The First Four pics were Taken Outdoors in natural light and Reflect True Colors as the Shoulder s and Turkey Breast
Came Out of the 'Fridge Cooker.

The Remainder of the pics were under Fluorescent Light Indoors and did NOT do the Shoulders justice. Mad Laughing

They were far from dry and the smoke Ring penetration was Probably 1/4" ...Good from My Point of view. Wink

I'll Stick to "Tried and True" @ 225F - 275F...Hasen't Failed Me Yet! Wink

Thanks Again, Jeff! Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 14 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good tony...have not done a H&F yet but i like the chit chat others bring just in case I have to some day... Question I would have is ...would it be better to start slow and finish hot...or start hot and finish slow, which would render better and still shave time.
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12 14 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: