FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for 1st timer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 3:29 am    Post subject: Advice for 1st timer. Reply with quote

I'm going to try making baby backs for my first attempt at BBQing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. First things first, I'll be using my 3 burner gas grill. That's all I've ever used for grilling. I'm hoping to learn on this before going for a true smoker.

I'm going to use a V shaped smoker box under the left grate filled with Mesquite chips. Left burner on medium, center & right burners off. Aiming for 225 degrees. I will use an accurate oven thermometer which I tested in my kitchen oven. A water pan over the center burner, ribs in a rack on right side.

I'm using Pappys Choice rub. its advertised as NO MSG ,50% less salt. Salt is still listed as first ingredient. 180mg of a 1.2g serving so I think its about 15% salt by volume. The wife has BP issues so I don't want it too high for her to enjoy. I'm going to rub them the night before, no oil/mustard. Skin off.

Planning on mopping them with beef stock (maybe some OJ mixed in) every hour for 4 hrs. Half of the ribs will get sauced the last 10 minutes or so. The other half won't, so I can taste the meat/smoke as is.

My questions are Should I soak chips first and should I plan on refilling the box? Its 13"x4"x2".

I think I have all my bases covered, if not let me know.
Looking forward to your replies. Thanks.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nix the chip soaking. You'll just get nasty smoke before they dry out. The best bet is to limit the amount of air that can get to them to avoid flame ups. I'd say after a couple of hours the ribs should have enough smoke so it shouldn't be necessary to refill after that... but that's a judgment call on your part.

The only other suggestion I might add is to not complicate your life too much on the first go at ribs. Get the basics down then go crazy with the mops and sauces and whatnot.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
Nix the chip soaking. You'll just get nasty smoke before they dry out. The best bet is to limit the amount of air that can get to them to avoid flame ups. I'd say after a couple of hours the ribs should have enough smoke so it shouldn't be necessary to refill after that... but that's a judgment call on your part.

The only other suggestion I might add is to not complicate your life too much on the first go at ribs. Get the basics down then go crazy with the mops and sauces and whatnot.

X-2!... Heed The Words of Someone Who's Been There Before. Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Wink
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ What they said ^^^^

And a couple other things - Don't get too concerned with trying to keep your temp exactly @ 225. Anywhere from 225-275 is just fine. Find where your cooker likes to run without fiddling with it and let 'er rip. I wouldn't bother with the mopping on your first try because 'If you're looking, you ain't cooking'. Try to keep the opening and closing of the lid to a bare minimum, because you lose heat every time you open it 'Just for a quick peek to see how it's going'. For your first attempt use the KISS method - Keep It Simple Stupid Laughing . After your ribs come out perfect your first time (which they will!),then you can start playing with your technique and flavors. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Oh yeah...Pictures! We looooves us some pics of food Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you properly collect the grease. I tried the same method. Except turned up the heat to finish them hot at the end. Resulted in a grease fire and flaming ribs.
BlkZrx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use mesquite. It can be a bit overpowering on pork. Hickory or a fruitwood like apple would be a better choice..
Mack24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thsmoker wrote:
Make sure you properly collect the grease. I tried the same method. Except turned up the heat to finish them hot at the end. Resulted in a grease fire and flaming ribs.

I was going to use a disposable aluminum loaf pan set on the grate in the center of the grill for water. I might switch to a shallow and wide water pan under the grate and under the ribs.

As to the wood choice, I also have cherry wood chips. Any recommendation which goes better with pork ? 50/50 perhaps ?
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack24 wrote:
As to the wood choice, I also have cherry wood chips. Any recommendation which goes better with pork ? 50/50 perhaps ?

I'd go with 100% cherry if it was that or mesquite. As BlkZrx pointed out, apple or hickory makes a nice mix also. I don't know how to put this in exact words but the cherry is a very forgiving smoke wood. It imparts a gentle flavor and it's hard to over do it like you can with some other woods.
Jo Jo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 14 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take notes on everything you do. I have a notebook that I keep that has every cook I've done for the past 3 years (home and competitions). By keeping a good log of everything, you learn where you can improve and most importantly, you learn what you are doing RIGHT!! There is a log on here somewhere that you can download and print out.
Deep South GC 48
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12 14 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like said above - fruit wood! It's a lighter smoke.

I like a cherry apple combo.
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: