FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labor Day Weekend - Low Country Boil: UPDATED with pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 14 3:09 am    Post subject: Labor Day Weekend - Low Country Boil: UPDATED with pics Reply with quote

Howdy everybody......This year for Labor Day weekend, we are going to do a Low Country Boil. Gonna use either Jeepdad's recipe here:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59571&highlight=low+country+boil

or this one from Jack a long time ago:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38895&highlight=low+country+boil

So, I'm good there.....I have a couple of questions though. We are probably going to do two separate boils, because we have some kiddos eating and some adults who are "spice adverse".... Laughing

I'm curious for those of you who have done this, how to season up a pot for those who don't want spicy? Just Salt, garlic, onion, and lemon? Please let me know.......

Thanks,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer

Last edited by Cat797 on Sun Aug 31 14 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 14 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Ed! Very Happy

Got this from another popular BBQ site:

I'd use a little Old Bay. Also bay leaves, Worstershire Sauce and lemon. For the liquid a mixture of water, cider vinegar and beer or wine works well. If the Old Bay is too spicy, some black pepper corns, paprika, coriander and salt will give a nice flavor. Frankly, the food won't pick up much spice if you go easy on whatever seasoning you use. You could halve the recommended amount of Zatarains and have a pretty good flavor without it being hot. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

PS, one thing to watch out for is the sausage. I did a boil once and got what I believed to be regular smoked sausage, but it was actually the hot variety. The spice leeched out into the cooking liquid and seasoned the whole thing. I believe it was "Georgia Boy" brand. It still wasn't too hot to be edible for most though.
By the way, I also did a low country boil for the rehearsal dinner for our wedding years back. The guest list included quite a few older folks and a bunch of kids, so I was faced with a similar situation regarding heat. I used only Old Bay as a seasoning and just cut back on it. I think I used maybe a third of a cup for an 8 or 10 gallon pot. The food came out seasoned, but not "spiced". I then left a few dishes of Old Bay on the table for those who wanted more. It worked out perfectly. On a funny side note, many of the older guests were of a certain socioeconomic sector that eats from fine china on linen covered tables. Not snobby people, but pretty well off and not exactly accustomed to "down home" cookery. Everyone was milling about chatting and drinking while waiting for the dinner to be served, and here comes the groom with a huge steamer basket full of shrimp, crab, corn, sausage and potatoes, which I unceremoniously dumped in the middle of a newspaper covered table with a shout of "DINNER'S READY!!". The looks were priceless, but I noticed later there were several of the older "high society folks" standing around the table stuffing their faces without benefit of plates or even utensils. They all raved about the food and fun atmosphere, and still talk about it to this day.

Hope this Helps...Looking Forward to Some Reviews! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 14 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!.....Thanks for the advice Tony. On the "no-spice" boil, I had planned on just using some store-bought smoked sausage or the like, just in case of the spiciness....

Glad to hear I can use the regular stuff and back off a little for a good flavor and no spice.

I went today to the fish place to see what I should be using and they had some what they called easy-peel shrimp which are shell on, but deveined for ~$12.50/lb. The crab legs are a killer at $14.95/lb. but I haven't shopped them at Sam's or Costco yet. I'm probably going to add some mussels like Jeepdad did. I love mussels........ Cool

I will take some pics.
Weber 22.5 Performer
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 14 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
Frankly, the food won't pick up much spice if you go easy on whatever seasoning you use. You could halve the recommended amount of Zatarains and have a pretty good flavor without it being hot.

Exactly what I was thinking. A low country boil wouldn't be right without some seasoning.

I tried the Old Bay recipe once and it about knocked me off the chair... and believe me I like spice. So I adjusted it to 1/4 cup per gallon of liquid and everybody, including the kids, enjoyed it. YMMV

http://www.oldbay.com/Recipes/Shrimp/Main-Course/Low-Country-Shrimp-Boil.aspx

ps: Sam's has the two lb. bags of crab legs and 10 lb. boxes, the latter being cheaper per pound. That's where I do my crab leg gettin'

Last edited by Smokin Mike on Tue Aug 26 14 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 14 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Old Bay being not too spicy. It's probably a little late, but Rig Ron's Critter Dust is outstanding for use in boils (Maybe not too late? Call him and find out). It's spicy though. We did a boil Saturday night with some huge (12-15) head-on shrimp for $7/lb. A couple more things - Oranges and Artichokes (quartered) are good things to add. And if you do crab legs, add them at the very end to just heat through or they'll get mushy. Good luck! And PICS!!! Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 14 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we got the LCB done last night and I think it was a success. I ended up doing two separate boils. The only stuff I could find around here was Zattarain's boil in the bag seasoning, the liquid concentrate, and Louisiana Fish Fry seasoning. On the box of Zattarain's, it tells you how much salt to add, so that's all we used on the first batch. I might add, it was pretty tasty......

For the spicy batch, I used the Zattarain's plus the liquid and the Louisiana Fish Fry shrimp and crab boil seasoning. And, since I followed Jeepdad's recipe, I added 5 Serrano peppers. Holy cow this was spicy!!!! It was good though....

Here's the ingredients:

The non-spicy boil all done:

The spicy version:

Done and soaking up the goodness:

Here's what I did. It was enough to easily feed 20-25 people.

2 lbs baby carrots
3 onions
1 head garlic
2 lemons
10 lbs potatoes
1 dozen ears of corn
3 lbs kielbasa
2 lbs andouille
1.5 pounds homemade smoked sausage
5 Serrano peppers
2 lbs mussels
10 lbs shrimp with shell on
4 lbs snow crab legs

I only put the peppers and andouille in the spicy version. Everything else I divided in half for the two boils. What I did was fill the pot with about 3.5 gallons water and start burner. Add seasoning and onions, garlic, lemons, peppers, and carrots. Let come to rolling boil until carrots are al dente. Add potatoes and sausage and return to boil and cook til almost done. Add corn and cook for 5-10 minutes. Add crab legs and mussels and cook for about 5-10 minutes. Add shrimp and boil for about 3 minutes and shut off burner. Drain and serve.

It's important to check seasoning throughout the cook. Eat a carrot, eat a potato, etc. add salt and seasoning as necessary. For the non spicy, I probably used a cup of kosher salt. For the spicy I used a pound of the seasoning plus some salt. It was really pretty easy.......
Weber 22.5 Performer
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 14 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking table Ed. Very Happy Congrats on your boil everything looked delicious. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 14 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it turned out to be a success. Looks pretty tasty too!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 14 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I'll second the Old Bay being not too spicy. It's probably a little late, but Rig Ron's Critter Dust is outstanding for use in boils (Maybe not too late? Call him and find out). It's spicy though. We did a boil Saturday night with some huge (12-15) head-on shrimp for $7/lb. A couple more things - Oranges and Artichokes (quartered) are good things to add. And if you do crab legs, add them at the very end to just heat through or they'll get mushy. Good luck! And PICS!!! Laughing

+1 on Big Ron's Critter Dust albeit a bit late for Ed's boil. I have both Old Bay and Big Ron's spice in my arsenal and use both on things other than just seafood.
Ed...great looking Boil! Very Happy
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 14 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momma-Mia...What a Feast Exclamation

Doesn't look like you missed any ingredients,Ed! Wink Cool

Corn looks like it just came off the stalk...Shrimp,sausages and shellfish all jumpin' out at me...And I haven't had lunch Yet!!!

Laughing Laughing

Nice Job,Brother...Real Nice! What's for Dinner? Laughing Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 14 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding job brother! Everything looks great (except the Miller Lite Laughing Laughing ). Congratulations on a job well done.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 14 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to beat an LCB. Looks dang tasty Cat797!

--jeepdad
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 14 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Cat797, my scuba club is setting setup a crawdad boil for later this month and you gave me some good ideas.

Your boil looks fantastic!!!

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 14 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for compliments guys........

Bugs....The Miller Lite would be for the wife, but the empty box sure made a handy transportation container to get said ingredients to the spot where we boiled!....LOL

I couldn't believe how easy it was, which always makes for a fun time when you can stand around cooking, drinking, and BS'ing. Guess that's why I love BBQ!

Next time, I will have my ducks in a row and order up some Big Ron's 'cause I'm sure it's the bomb-diggity........

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 14 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like y'all had a great time and a great feast!

I haven't had a shrimp or crab or crawfish boil since we left Louisiana for Ohio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: