FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chilling then reheating butts.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blkandrust

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17 14 9:57 pm    Post subject: Chilling then reheating butts. Reply with quote

I am 3 days in to my new vending career. I'm pretty excited,but overwhelmed as well. Still trying to figure out the logistics of when to cook and sleep.lol.Any how,I was thinking of cooking several butts at once,wrapping and throwing in an ice bath then refrigerating the butts whole,then throwing on the pit to bring back to 165 then into the hot well for serving. I know some of you freeze after cooking and cooling whole butts,my thinking is that if they were to be used within 3-4 days of cooking seems like freezing then thawing them would be counter intuitive.Your thoughts?
Weber Kettle 22.5"
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 14 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Chilling then reheating butts. Reply with quote

Blkandrust wrote:
I am 3 days in to my new vending career. I'm pretty excited,but overwhelmed as well. Still trying to figure out the logistics of when to cook and sleep.lol.Any how,I was thinking of cooking several butts at once,wrapping and throwing in an ice bath then refrigerating the butts whole,then throwing on the pit to bring back to 165 then into the hot well for serving. I know some of you freeze after cooking and cooling whole butts,my thinking is that if they were to be used within 3-4 days of cooking seems like freezing then thawing them would be counter intuitive.Your thoughts?

You would have to have a lot of ice to cool a lot of butts, we have never tried it, we serve fresh slow smoked meats every event we vend at, even four day events.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Blkandrust

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 14 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chilling then reheating butts. Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
Blkandrust wrote:

You would have to have a lot of ice to cool a lot of butts, we have never tried it, we serve fresh slow smoked meats every event we vend at, even four day events.

Thanks for the reply. I am roadside vending for now.
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Painless
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 14 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do do this all the time both for sliced, chopped and pulled.
It addresses the key issue of scale with BBQ - you got to have a sleep at some point.

My advice: Don't waste your time with ice water etc... Invest in a blast chiller. You can find them used on ebay for a good price, also try Craig's list.

You can cook a butt. Take it from the pit straight into the blast chiller and have it cold and ready for holding until needed in under 90 mins. No risk of being in the danger zone too long and all the moisture etc stays in the meat.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 14 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep a couple things in mind when cooling your butts:
The "danger zone" is 41-140 [ now 135°]...or in this case 140-40...Those butts coming out of the pit as 200° meteorites can rest on a counter [ I use some grate stock, fridge racks propped up off counter etc. for air movement, butts wrapped in foil or panned, wrapped in foil ] until they cool down to 135° by "the code" at which point about any commercial fridge will cool them to below 41° well within 4 hours - just make sure your not heating other foods during the cool down. Next up, said butt's were smoked - a natural way of preserving meat!
I am IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM promoting "bad" or unsafe food handling, only stating the obvious that many overlook, and something NOT promoted in the "regular" section here on the Ring as many are not capable of understanding...LOL!! I AM NOT calling any/ many/ most Ring members morons or anything of the sorts, only that this has come up in that section with ALL KINDS of unfounded paranoia, and said paranoia supported for the simple reason of keeping some from killing themselves, friends and neighbors....and keeping projectile pooping to a minimum!! Embarassed
Placing de-boned [ aids in cooling, opening more meat to cooling] 141°+ butts in a giant zip top [ available at wallyworld ] and placing in cooler full of ice will use a lot of ice, but is a perfectly safe practice and will cost far less than 1 or 3 $k at this point in your vending career! Technically, as a "temporary restaurant" vendor in these parts, one does not need a commissary, so the inspectors love the ice bath concept, and it works! Said commercial fridge [ or freezer ] with blower will easily perform the same task. I remove from hot hold, pull bone, do the wrap thing, do my dishes etc. at end of day - by this time they have cooled considerably so onto top shelf of fridge they go - the right side of my T-49 where the air blasts out the hardest and coldest - not an issue in 4 years of doing so! YMMV, mine does not.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 14 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pull from the smoker, wrap a gazillion times in plastic wrap, foil and ice bath then freeze,I retherm in cook and hold and bring to job in cambro, only if I have a big event that exceeds my smoker capacity. For most of my events I wrap in plastic and toss in a cambro or even ice chests work for me, and pull as needed....
Painless
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 14 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tony here...
I think it comes down to how much quantity you are looking at.
Last sat I cooked well over 250lbs of meat to hold for the following few days. Be damned if im ganna piss around with wrapping and ice etc when my blast chiller can do the job in <60mins.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 14 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a myth that ice will cool foods faster than a constant slow stream of tap water, try that instead, its much faster, more consistent cooling and saves dealing with ice. The constant flow of the tap water flushes the hot water out, while using ice only leaves the food in an environment of slowly warming water thats trying equalize to a temp somewhere between the warming ice water and the hot food, tap water runs at a constant low temp. If you do a lot of re heating, then a blast chiller is a very good option.
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05 14 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice bath. Bath as in large tub or sink filled with ice that is taking a bath in h20 ...I could look that up, but that method is approved here in Hicksville pa...and unless your tap water is glacial , the ice bath method wins.
Cj
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07 15 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are over complicating it.
I agree with Rodinbankok
For vending, I cook all meats ahead of time and chill, or freeze.
I remove the butts from the smoker at 195F, rest, pull, put in large freezer bags and chill in water. That's right, water.
It takes very little water flowing into the cooler to push the warmer water out.

I use my extra large cooler for the water bath.
Put pulled pork in freezer bag, flatten to one inch thickness, and place in water.
It's only a few minutes and the meat is cooled down to ambient temp. I'll be putting bags in one end of the cooler and taking cooled product out of the other end.
Depending on needs, some will be chilled and some frozen.
I spread the bags of meat out, in the fridge, so they cool down faster.
My products get rave reviews.
I sleep when I want to.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: