FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few pit building questions. All help is appreciated!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherman79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 8:08 am    Post subject: A few pit building questions. All help is appreciated!! Reply with quote

First off let me say that although this is my first post, I've been following the forum for about 3 years now. Many days when I needed a break from studying in law school this was my escape! I've looked at KAM's builds countless times and have been a fan of other amazing builds on here. I've honed my craft on UDS's but I've always wanted my own competition smoker/catering rig. I now have one in the making!

I'm rehabbing/building a smoker. The smoking chamber is 5ft long 36 inches in diameter. The firebox is 27x24x27. Now to the questions!

1. With a bit of a wider diameter is there anything I need to consider drafting wise?

2. Tuning plates! What width should I go with, and how many?

3. What are your opinions on offset vs hybrid? I used to be sold on reverse flow but I've read where KAM said that a properly tuned offset can't be beaten. I don't envision it costing me too much more, but is the hybrid setup worth it?

4. I want this to be an even temped competition beast, any tips are greatly appreciated! The build starts this weekend!!!

Last edited by Sherman79 on Wed Aug 13 14 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

Please make pictures no longer than 650px on the longest side!

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

Then read this one too! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Greasyfingers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 9:08 am    Post subject: smoker Reply with quote

1./ The heat and smoke will take the path of least resistance. I would make sure all your gaps are well sealed so no cold air can sneak in.
2./ Depends what the steel yard has on special Smile I would personally buy a 6 meter length of 150mm x 6mm (6"x 1/4" for those of you who have not ventured out to the real world).
Then cut enough to span nearly the length of the cooking chamber.
3./ It doesn't take much to weld a smoke stack on each end and would be worth it for your your own experimental curiosity and gives you something to talk about while drinking and BBQing.
Thats just my 2 cents though.
Sherman79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Welcome to the forums.

Please make pictures no longer than 650px on the longest side!

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

Then read this one too! Wink Laughing Wink

Thanks got it fixed!
Sherman79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: smoker Reply with quote

Greasyfingers wrote:
1./ The heat and smoke will take the path of least resistance. I would make sure all your gaps are well sealed so no cold air can sneak in.
2./ Depends what the steel yard has on special Smile I would personally buy a 6 meter length of 150mm x 6mm (6"x 1/4" for those of you who have not ventured out to the real world).
Then cut enough to span nearly the length of the cooking chamber.
3./ It doesn't take much to weld a smoke stack on each end and would be worth it for your your own experimental curiosity and gives you something to talk about while drinking and BBQing.
Thats just my 2 cents though.

Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring Very Happy I look forward to following your build and the progress.

Hybrid All The Way

Personally, I dont think I would build a smoker and not use tuning plates. With a little practice and a few cooks under my belt, I got my X2 build cooking within 5 to 8 degrees across the grates. Hard to go wrong there IMHO. Kevin will be along with his thoughts, but I would think 6 - 6" tuning plates would be in order for that cooker size. I would run 2 stacks as well, I personally contribute my dual stacks in why my cooker burns along like she does and I also think two stacks just make for a nicer look on a cooker, specially one the size your building. I would double check all your openings with the pit calculator and make sure your sealed good. From the picture it looks like the intake is kinda small for the size of the firebox and chamber, but that might just be how it looks in the pic.

Good luck with the build and keep the pics coming.

JM2CW
Sherman79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
Welcome to the Ring Very Happy I look forward to following your build and the progress.

Hybrid All The Way

Personally, I dont think I would build a smoker and not use tuning plates. With a little practice and a few cooks under my belt, I got my X2 build cooking within 5 to 8 degrees across the grates. Hard to go wrong there IMHO. Kevin will be along with his thoughts, but I would think 6 - 6" tuning plates would be in order for that cooker size. I would run 2 stacks as well, I personally contribute my dual stacks in why my cooker burns along like she does and I also think two stacks just make for a nicer look on a cooker, specially one the size your building. I would double check all your openings with the pit calculator and make sure your sealed good. From the picture it looks like the intake is kinda small for the size of the firebox and chamber, but that might just be how it looks in the pic.

JM2CW

Really appreciate the feedback! I'm worried about the intake, it's only 6 inches in diameter. I'm assuming there is a 6 inch hole there. Would you suggest adding a smaller rectangle intake underneath it?

I'm really leaning towards the dual stacks, thanks for your input!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Sherman79, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker project. Smile
I prefer cooking with tuning plates, I also have the option to cook with reverse flow if I choose although I never go there. Both work well and in the end the choice will be yours. Wink
If you decide to go with tuning plates the ideal set up in my opinion is 4.5" to 6" below your grate I prefer 6". ( I live in the real world so if anyone needs this in metric convert it!!!)
As far as plate width I would lean more towards 7" or 8" wide plates because of the 60" wide opening, this will reduce the amount of plates needed.
According to your chamber and firebox size you need a firebox to cooker chamber opening of 140 Sq. in. You also need right at 53 Sq. in. of intake, going with a full 6" hole you will need two.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Sherman79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Welcome to the ring Sherman79, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker project. Smile
I prefer cooking with tuning plates, I also have the option to cook with reverse flow if I choose although I never go there. Both work well and in the end the choice will be yours. Wink
If you decide to go with tuning plates the ideal set up in my opinion is 4.5" to 6" below your grate I prefer 6". ( I live in the real world so if anyone needs this in metric convert it!!!)
As far as plate width I would lean more towards 7" or 8" wide plates because of the 60" wide opening, this will reduce the amount of plates needed.
According to your chamber and firebox size you need a firebox to cooker chamber opening of 140 Sq. in. You also need right at 53 Sq. in. of intake, going with a full 6" hole you will need two.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Really appreciate the feedback! I just got back from the welder. I took all of the advice and I'm going with a hybrid. 8 inch tuning plates, 6 inches from the grate. I also made the change to two intakes. I'll be posting the finished product as soon as I get Ms. Piggy home!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman79, I am looking forward to seeing some updates on your cooker project. Very Happy
I sure hope your welder understands the U.S measurement system. I would hate for him to get confused. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
Sherman79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Sherman79, I am looking forward to seeing some updates on your cooker project. Very Happy
I sure hope your welder understands the U.S measurement system. I would hate for him to get confused. Wink

lol I actually made a joke about the metric measurements, and I just got a blank stare!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman79 wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

lol I actually made a joke about the metric measurements, and I just got a blank stare!

Well if he needs help tell him to feel free to get a hold of me. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 14 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought at looking at your cooker (cool project!) is that the firebox seems to be mounted really high. With the hot air entering that high up, it would seem to me that your cooking grate would have to be really high.

I can see how convenient it was for the fabricator to set the box on that big plate and then weld it on.

seattlepitboss
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 14 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss wrote:
My first thought at looking at your cooker (cool project!) is that the firebox seems to be mounted really high. With the hot air entering that high up, it would seem to me that your cooking grate would have to be really high.

I can see how convenient it was for the fabricator to set the box on that big plate and then weld it on.

seattlepitboss

Actually the grate does not have to be high at all.
The placement of the firebox may work quite well for an upward draft set up like a Jambo.
I see a lot of potential here, the guy that welded that firebox on may of had the same idea.Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20 14 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Quote:

Actually the grate does not have to be high at all.
The placement of the firebox may work quite well for an upward draft set up like a Jambo.
I see a lot of potential here, the guy that welded that firebox on may of had the same idea. Very Happy

Another spot on answer by the k.a.m. D Man.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21 14 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:

Hybrid All The Way

JM2CW

+1 on the hybrid and tuning plates. A full time RF locks you in. There are at times you may want different heat zones, other times not. Tuning plates are just as they imply, you can tune to where you want your cooker to run.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22 14 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cooker. Big, too Laughing Looking forward to seeing it done and in action.

'The real world' - That would be funny if it wasn't such an asinine comment.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Sherman79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 14 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you all cut off (baffle) the smoke stacks to switch from reverse flow to conventional?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 14 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman79 wrote:
How do you all cut off (baffle) the smoke stacks to switch from reverse flow to conventional?

Adjustable stack cap. Some running the hybrids have been know to run both partial, depending on the desired effect.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 14 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman79 wrote:

As Mike mentioned just have dampers on your exhausts.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: