FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jimmy Dean clones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 07 11:32 am    Post subject: Jimmy Dean clones Reply with quote

Did a search at the KCBS site and found this, looks like a keeper. Here it is as i found it............

Top Secret Recipes
version of
Jimmy Dean
Breakfast Sausage

Before he became America's sausage king, Jimmy Dean was known for crooning the country hit "Big Bad John." That song came out in 1962 and sold over 8 million copies. His singing success launched a television career on ABC with "The Jimmy Dean Show" where Roy Clark, Patsy Cline and Roger Miller got their big breaks. The TV exposure led to acting roles for Jimmy, as a regular on "Daniel Boone" and in feature films including his debut in the James Bond flick "Diamonds are Forever." Knowing that a show business career is an unpredictable one, Jimmy socked his money away in hog-farming investments. In 1968, the Jimmy Dean Meat Company developed a special recipe to transform those piggies into the sausage that is now a household name. Today the company is part of the Sara Lee Corporation, but Jimmy is still chairman of the board of his division, and he still appears on TV in commercials for the brand, even at the age of 70.
This clone recipe recreates three varieties of the famous roll sausage that you form into patties and cook in a skillet. Use ground pork found at the supermarket (make it lean pork, if you like), or grind some up yourself if you have a meat grinder laying around for some good old-fashioned fun.

Sage
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. Makes 1 pound of sausage.
Rubit
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 07 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds great. Jimmy Dean hot is my favorite brand. I have in the past tried to grind my own sausage but a butt just doen't have enough fat. The next time I trim the fat off butts before they go on the cooker, I will save the fat to add to another butt to grind another batch and use this recipe.
Tank smoker wood burner
Tank Charcoal grill
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23 07 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can`t say if these recipes are really that close to the original but our British friends are having trouble finding ground sausage tubes for fatties and someone asked so i found these.
I thought about buying some plain unseasoned ground pork and tring them.
If you try em first post back a "like em or leave em" Wink
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25 07 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a hankering for some scotch eggs this morning & bought some unseasoned ground pork for sausage. Mixed up a pound each of the sage and hot.... must say it wasnt too bad, not to bad at all.
Will try these clones next time for for some fatties for sure. I like the hot the best, not too spicey or hot, pretty good really.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25 07 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this KSBS site you talk about??? I have been looking for it but can't find...

Thanks, Marv
smokemaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25 07 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some others:

Breakfast Sausage

2 pounds pork butt, diced into small pieces
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped sage leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine diced pork (along with fat) with remaining ingredients and chill for 1 hour. Run all through a meat grinder; form into patties and pan fry over medium-low heat until cooked through. Use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.

COUNTRY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
1 pound ground pork
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/ 2 tsp. dried leaf thyme
1/ 4 tsp. dried leaf sage
1 tsp. salt
1/ 2 tsp. ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight for flavors to blend. Shape into 6 patties. Cook in lightly greased skillet over medium heat about 15 minutes or until browned on both sides and centers are no longer pink, turning occasionally. After cooking, may be frozen for later use.

Diane's Home Cookin 4.8 Chapter: Heirlooms

Dad's Breakfast Sausage
=======================
2 # fresh coarse grd pork ( use a good shoulder butt cut , not too lean )
2- 3 Teaspoons rubbed sage
Pinch -1/4 tsp. of dried thyme, marjoram & rosemary
1 Teaspoon dried parsley
1 Teaspoon each salt & fresh grd
pepper

Dad Lynch's Sausage Recipes:
============================
Polish:
5 # coarse ground pork shoulder butt( get smallest one possible, meat will
be more tender)
2 toes garlic , minced fine
1-1/4 Tablespoons Canning salt
tbsp. Marjoram
tbsp. Coarse grd black pepper
3/4 Teaspoon Fine black pepper
c. Warm water
Mix well, let sit in refrig a few hrs or overnight-mix again & stuff into
casings.
. Italian sausage: 5 # coarse grd pork shoulder butt 1 tsp. Pepper 2 tbsp.
Canning salt 1 rounded tbsp. Fennel seed tsp. Crushed red pepper c.
grated parm or Romano cheese 1-2 toes garlic, minced 1 c warm water or red
wine-

Combine & let sit in cooler 5-6 hrs-mix again -form into patties or stuff
into casings.

SAUSAGE - BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
Serves 16

3 pounds fresh pork shoulder, trimmed well
1 small onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons dried sage, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried savory, crumbled
2 teaspoons salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoons milk

Cooking Directions
Trim pork of all fat; cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Freeze pork for 30 minutes. In meat grinder or food processor, grind pork and then grind pork again with onion and garlic. In large bowl, mix seasonings into pork mixture. Stir in milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Cover and chill for one hour.

Form into 16 patties, cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours to marry flavors. Use within two days or wrap in air-tight paper and freeze.

To cook, over medium-high heat on griddle or in skillet, cook sausages until browned and cooked through.

Serving Suggestions
Making sausage from fresh pork allows cooks to choose the cuts they want. Many lean pork cuts work well for sausage, including trimmed boneless shoulder, trimmed loin or sirloin or even tenderloin. Making your own sausage also allows the cook to control the seasonings and added salt. Or even omitting salt altogether.

"Beauty Follows Smoke"
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25 07 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go Marv
http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/
His bunch is mostly comp cooks and a other cater`s but there a bit of a touchy bunch not like the fellows at the ring. Unless ya got credential ya won`t be to well accepted. Back yarders get pushed to the back yard so to speak and if your new to BBQ well....... Comp cooks and the like.
I am here on the smoke ring cause i didn`t like it there. Newbe`s get shuned. I`ll prolly get slack for saying these things but i didn`t get a real warm welcome there.
I do like to use there search for looking up recipes, cook times, used pits etc.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26 07 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

That is not the site I was looking for. The one I was looking for was the one where you guys get the 'FAMOUS' recipes.

Thanks,

Marv
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26 07 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reread my post and it kinda looks like i was bashing comp cooks, i didnt mean it to look that way its just some of the people dont have too much patience with newbes.
Anyway there is a search feature on the right hand site of that pay marv it says "BBQ Search" you`ll have to sign up to use it but here it is.....
http://www.bbqsearch.com/
If its the recipe clones your talking about that is where i find most all of them. Otherwise i google them too.
Or there is these...
http://www.bbq-porch.org/recipes/
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/7003/rubs/bbqrubs.html
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19 07 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy there are a lot of pirates out there; this is copied from my post letter for letter, space for space. It's just missing a space bar at the bottom.

http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1093&mforum=smokinjim
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19 07 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:
Boy there are a lot of pirates out there; this is copied from my post letter for letter, space for space. It's just missing a space bar at the bottom.

Pirates?? Rolling Eyes

Could be he got the recipes from the same site you got them from, seein' as how you probably just copied and pasted them too. Does that make you a pirate too?? Ghraaaaaaarrr matey! Laughing
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19 07 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:

Are you just bored or what like i said on a post farther up i stole it from this site....
http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19 07 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ya have to do is go to that web sites search page and type in the word "clone" and most likely you will find a "clone" recipe.
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20 07 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
WBOGGS wrote:

Pirates?? Rolling Eyes

Could be he got the recipes from the same site you got them from, seein' as how you probably just copied and pasted them too. Does that make you a pirate too?? Ghraaaaaaarrr matey! Laughing

I didn't get it from any forum; I assembled that page with the exact spacing you see here and posted it as I described. What a coincidence that someone else would have made all the exact same spacing decisions I did? I don't care how many places you saw it; I'm just commenting on how fast copies are spread around.

You guys sure are cocked ready to kill at the slightest disturbance aren't you? For a bunch that are totally innocent you sure react like you're defending yourselves. Embarassed

LIGHTEN UP!!
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20 07 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:
LIGHTEN UP!!

That's hilarious....considering it's coming from the heaviest troll around. Wink
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20 07 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
WBOGGS wrote:
LIGHTEN UP!!

That's hilarious....considering it's coming from the heaviest troll around. Wink

We're on a roll Mike...that's TWO where we are in agreement on Laughing Laughing Wink
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20 07 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBOGGS wrote:
allsmokenofire wrote:
WBOGGS wrote:

Pirates?? Rolling Eyes

I didn't get it from any forum; I assembled that page with the exact spacing you see here and posted it as I described. What a coincidence that someone else would have made all the exact same spacing decisions I did? I don't care how many places you saw it; I'm just commenting on how fast copies are spread around.

You guys sure are cocked ready to kill at the slightest disturbance aren't you? For a bunch that are totally innocent you sure react like you're defending yourselves. Embarassed

LIGHTEN UP!!

Well concidering some of your posts from the past its a little tuff to understand you. Rolling Eyes
From what i understand recipes are ment to be shared and if i happen across one that i think people might like or are asking about i`ll post it here. I really don`t give a hoot who`s it is. If the auther posts there name or "handle" with there recipe i`ll give credit where credit is do.
But not all do that so............
BackYardNik
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/recipex/msg0914254528786.html

Look halfway down the page. Posted in 2005

I'm just sayin'
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BackYardNik wrote:
Ahem:

I'm just sayin'

LOL...sweet!!! Cool

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down. Wink

Ms. Boggs is just a troll who slips off the meds every now and again...shows up, and starts spewin' chit about anything and everything. She's been run off just about every BBQ forum I know of...at least any that get any traffic or have anything to offer. A good flush and she goes right back down the drain. Wink Laughing Laughing
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 07 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
BackYardNik wrote:
Ahem:

I'm just sayin'

LOL...sweet!!! Cool

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down. Wink

Ms. Boggs is just a troll who slips off the meds every now and again...shows up, and starts spewin' chit about anything and everything. She's been run off just about every BBQ forum I know of...at least any that get any traffic or have anything to offer. A good flush and she goes right back down the drain. Wink Laughing Laughing

Ok then... Very Happy
Originally posted by topsecretrecipes.com, copied and reposted by hundreds and enjoyed by all.
Thanks guys that really clears it all up. Now we can move on and enjoy sharing recipes and learning what we like and dislike. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: