FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SYSCO brisket floating between $3.76 and $3.92

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillieB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09 14 11:30 pm    Post subject: SYSCO brisket floating between $3.76 and $3.92 Reply with quote

True, Certified Angus Beef Brand choice but for the love of God how damn long is it gonna bounce around near $4? Bumped our sandwich price 20% with no complaints, bulk price up 17% but that doesn't come close to recovering our increase. Wouldn't mind as much if wgts didn't range from 7 lbs to 17 lbs, lately most have been 9 to 12...what a waste of smoker space. Throw in the increase in fat cap and I'm trying real hard to find a reason not to hit WalMart and get the EXCEL packers in the 12 lb. range @ $2.98 lb. If I'm stuck using small briskets, I may as well be paying $1 lb. less for them. Currently going thru 240 lbs. a week, not much compared to some but enough to mean $240 a wk savings.
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10 14 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cattle
The slaughter poll for the week ending 07/12/2014 came in at an average response of 604,952 head. If realized, it remains lower than last year, to the tune of 5.62%. The story remains the record setting prices being paid for live animals.

Compound low cattle #'s with the fact that Arby's is using 5% of daily cattle kill in briskets!!!

Swine
The slaughter poll for the week ending 7/12/14 resulted in an average industry participant response of 1,894,000 head. If realized it will be 7 percent below last year. This is normally a week used to catch up from down days on the week of the 4th, however this year PED virus has not allowed for the option to run large numbers like we have seen in the past.

Hopefully by the fall of 2015 we'll see some price relief.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10 14 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And pork is at or near $2/LB, Spares over $2/LB

We are getting it from all sides this year.

I would look to a meat specialty/commodities purveyor in your area. I'm getting prime grade brisket at less cost than choice grade from the big S, and nice monster sized briskets too.

if you're moving more than a ton a week, places will be wanting your biz and take care of you better than "S" will
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11 14 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kroger is charging that for select grade briskets here ($3.69).
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11 14 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tell your rep to bring you a deal or you will be going to Walmart for your briskets. I know I stocked up as much as I could with $1.97/lb choice briskets from Walmart when I had a chance a couple of weeks ago.
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12 14 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beef prices are reported daily, as are pork and poultry items. Prices based on FOB a packing house.

As an example (excerpt):
Product: Lbs: Price range Avg. $
Brisket, deckle-off, bnls 109,983 316.44 354.00 326.08
Brisket, point/off, bnls 3,964 577.72 597.00 585.14

The avg. deckle off is $3.2608 Point off $5.8514 as of July 11th. Add to these figures packer margin and logistics increases the price.
Source: http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_xb403.txt

Food service companies occasionally make some good buys and pass it on to clients. Large retail stores can make good buys and offer cheaper product, or sell a 'loss item' like brisket at $1.97 to draw in clients in hopes of selling other items.

Here's the pork report from yesterday: http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_pk602.txt

Keep up with wholesale prices it provides awareness to debate prices with suppliers
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22 14 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When freezer stocks are low it generally means prices will not decline quickly unless consumers back off.

Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014
US Frozen Meat/Poultry Stocks Seen Little Changed on Month, -14% on Year

--Pork in US freezers end June projected 8.3% below previous month, 6.7% below year-ago

--Beef stocks for June 30 seen 1.3% below May, 22.3% less than a year ago

--Chicken in storage expected 1% less on month, 11.2% below year ago

--Turkey in freezers predicted up 9.8% from previous month, 17.7% below last year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: