FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

250 gallon trailer build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09 14 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back to work and made a little more progress.

I'm a little tail heavy at this point, hence the ballast on the tongue. I'll eventually be adding more weight toward the front with a grill among a few other things. I originally wanted to utilize the existing legs on the tank but couldn't figure out a way to get proper clearance on the bottom of the firebox with them.

Thanks k.a.m. As you can see, I've used a lot of your techniques in this build. I guess I'm about ready to start putting the guts in the pit.

As I've stated before, I'm still on the fence on how to flow this thing. I've made the decision to put tuning plates in instead of a permanent RF plate. I like cooking with reverse flow but don't think I want 2 stacks (hybrid). What do you guys think about running reverse flow with tuning plates?

My thinking is, I can stack the plates on the half of the CC closest to the firebox and open them up at the midpoint utilizing only half my pit for smaller cooks, which will be the majority of my cooking (would I lose too much flow to the far end?). For big cooks with the pit full, I can stack the plates full length to the other end and have reverse flow across the whole thing.

Any ideas y'all have would be greatly appreciated. I am continually amazed with the vast knowledge and experience that comes out in this forum. Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 14 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cooker is looking fantastic Flyingj. Very Happy I enjoyed the visit last night and will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16 14 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to start working on the inside of the pit. I chose tuning plates over permanent reverse flow. Haven't decided for sure on going with two stacks or just one for conventional flow. Confused

I struggled with the deflector plate design to give me 6" from the plates to the cooking grate but thanks to k.a.m. and his tireless patience with me, I think I got 'er done. Very Happy. It wound up at 7 degrees.

Next on the to do list is cutting 1/4" tuning plates, building grates and putting in the 6" stack. I'm not looking forward to cutting that hole. Anyone have a tip for marking the teardrop hole for the stack on the top end of the tank where the dome starts?

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16 14 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyingj wrote:
Anyone have a tip for marking the teardrop hole for the stack on the top end of the tank where the dome starts?

See if this helps you any; http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16 14 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smokin Mike. I'm not sure I have ample gray matter to decipher all that but I'll sure look into it. Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16 14 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
Flyingj wrote:
Anyone have a tip for marking the teardrop hole for the stack on the top end of the tank where the dome starts?

See if this helps you any; http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

The rails and deflector came out great Flyingj, that is going to work just fine. Very Happy
Give me a call we can discuss the exhaust hole, it aint that hard. Wink Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16 14 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the deflector plate and rails. Nice work. That was good advice indeed to mount them with the flat on top. Get those welds up top ground smooth and never a bind will occur on your plates.
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17 14 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m: Thank you sir. I'll be in touch to learn an old trick to get that hole cut. Very Happy

Wreckless: Thanks for the complement and as always, your input.
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 14 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a few odds and ends completed on my smoker today.

The first thing I did was fix a way to keep from bumping my head while working inside the cooker.

Here is the 2" drain installed. I haven't decided whether to leave an opening in the decking to access the valve handle, rig up an extension to the side of the trailer like k.a.m did on his build or just reach under.

Remember that hole in the top of the tank that I was wrapped around the axle about early on in the build? Very Happy Well, thanks to the tips from Y'all here on the ring, I got her plugged

Next on the agenda is building grates. I can't express my gratitude enough for the knowledge I have gained by looking back through all the projects on this forum and stealing some excellent techniques. Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Flyingj. Very Happy I like the anti bump thingy, been there done that a few times. Laughing Keep up the fine work I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears you made short work out of that plug, nice job, can't tell it was ever there. Very Happy I hope you ran a small bead on the inside of the cooker on the plug. Just my thinking but an inside weld would add an opposing force to remove any chance of a stress crack somewhere down the road. Again, that's just me. +1 on the head bumper. I have always just relied on being aware of my surroundings when torso deep into a cooker, helmet down, but doesn't always work. Even worse if you have a son or best bud who take great enjoyment of unexpectedly announcing themselves of their visit by banging loudly on the tin walls of your shop. Evil or Very Mad
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24 14 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m and Wreckless: Thanks for keeping up with my build and offering your advice. Very Happy It means a lot as I continue down this path where I continually run into obstacles. Shocked I will have to say this has been a very enjoyable experience and I look forward to the next challenges each time they present themselves. Very Happy
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starting to look a little more like something to cook on rather than something to heat your house with. Very Happy

Now I guess I'm going to have to address cutting the dreaded hole for the stack. Sad k.a.m. , I'll be in touch soon.

Wink
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Brother. Very Happy
Call me anytime. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Asphalt Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 14 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great.
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 14 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks k.a.m. I got the stack in today. Very Happy You were right, it wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be. I'm now in the process of putting the doors on. I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks Asphalt Cowboy!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 14 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you got her in Flyingj. Very Happy I will be watching for more updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6" X 38" stack cut and ready

Hole was cut with a lot less mental anguish than I anticipated

With the biggest part of the welding on the tank finished, I was excited to find that the doors still fit pretty well

1/4" Tuning plates are in. Just need to clean the edges up a bit and maybe put some fancy handles on them. Wink

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Flyingj. Very Happy The exhaust and tuning plates came out Great. Very Happy the doors look like they will not be much of a problem, I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on the stack! Looks right plumb from here. Good idea and/ or advice on the placement. Further out on the bell and you may well have been there a bit longer. The interior and exterior weld also top notch thinking. The tuning plates? Either you are king with a torch or you used mfg'd flats. I use flats, the heck with all that clean up. Smile While some cool looking handles on the plates would look awesome, personally, I use some decent size round bar stock or equivalent. Though the need to adjust plates once I have found what settings I liked is rare, I have at times adjusted during a cook. A beater tab was preferred to adjust / relocate on those occasions. Yah, I know, here comes Kevin to point out the error of my ways Laughing JM2CW anyway. Keep it up, all is looking very nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: