FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

not happy with my pork butt Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexryan913

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07 14 5:49 am    Post subject: not happy with my pork butt Help Reply with quote

Yesterday i smoked a pork butt on my reverse flow. I keep the temp between 190 and 250 stayin around 220 for most of the day. I smoked a butt yesterday for 9 hours. I kept meet on till it reached internal temp of 205 to 210. At least that is what my maverick said. I wrapped for last two hours. I use lump charcoal and oak and mesquite and apple chunks for heat. I had it running nice blue smoke all day. I let rest before i pulled it and it didnt fall apart it almost seemed grisselly. It had a good ring but not much smoke flavor. I have never been happy with my pulled pork. Or the smoke flavor im getting in general. Am i just getting used to it. Also any tips on the pulled pork would be appreciated. Thanks
toymaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09 14 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see several things that might be wrong. How much did the pork butt weigh? It sounds like it didn't cook long enough. It sounds like your thermometer might be off. You need to check it in boiling water. I don't think you are cooking it at a high enough temp. 250 to 275 would be better. You will never get it to 205 cooking at 190. You should be able to wiggle the bone when it is done. Can't help you with the smoke flavor (don't know your smoker). Get an instant read thermometer and verify what your Mav is saying. Your probe may be touching a bone or a grate. My .02 hope it helps
Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe - Baby
Backwoods Party - Victoria
Weber Smokey Joe - Gretchen

USMC - Semper Fi
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
thunder92

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24 16 5:25 am    Post subject: agreed Reply with quote

Check your thermometer. Go more off the feel of the meat than the temperature though. It should progressively get easier to put a probe in it. Once it just slides in easily Its done. Usually around 190 to 195 to me but again the probe test or the bone wiggle is the key. If it goes past that I'd think it would start to loose moisture and dry out.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24 16 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't tell you what my finish temps are, because I do not measure temps.
When the meat is starting to fall apart, it is done
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25 16 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are tending the pit all day you wont taste the smoke flavor, that has been my experience.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: