FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about rub and pork shoulder...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexasRob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 14 9:39 am    Post subject: Question about rub and pork shoulder... Reply with quote

Hello All...I'm a newbie to the world of smoking meats. Moved to Texas in September from New England and got the BBQ/Smoking bug big time. Here is my question...I made my first pork shoulder a few weekends ago. I started with using some yellow mustard then added a rub that I found online. I then put the shoulder in the frig overnight. When I got it the next morning I was a bit shocked that the rub really didn't stick to the shoulder, it broke down and I ended up with a little pool of my rub in the Tupperware I was using, with which in turn didn't give me a great bark when it was done. I guess I was expecting the rub to stick better to the meat, like when I do ribs...the rub never seems to break down on ribs. Can some explain to me why the rub on the shoulder broke down and didn't stick to the meat, like it does on ribs? What should I do next time or can someone provide a rub that sticks. Again I'm a newbie at smoking...so I'd appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks in advance!

-Rob
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 14 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've never used a mustard slather.

I use a light layer of cooking oil (easy from a spray can), then I apply the rub. I pat the rub in with my hands after sprinkling it on.With a light slather and a generous dusting, little sticks to my fingers.

Then I refrigerate overnight or an extra day, depending on what's happening with weather etc.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 14 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the mustard for some hot dogs. Very Happy I've never had rub not adhere to my shoulders or butts but here's what I do. If the meat is overly wet when it comes out of the Cryovac then I'll pat it down with paper towels. Some folks will rinse off the meat, some won't, but that's a discussion for another day. None the less make sure the meat is fairly dry. Now, I do something similar to what Necron is doing but I will use olive oil as the "glue" to hold the rub.

I'm not sure why your rub didn't stick... maybe it was too flaky??? Try a different rub or make up one. There's thousands of rub recipes out there.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 14 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use or not use the mustard, I do use it but I generally slather, rub, and put pretty much straight away.

Once you take it out of the fridge after an overnight, just give it another layer of rub and away you go.

I still work here!
danhwright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26 14 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time I used mustard but I stopped and never went back. No idea why your rub was pooled in your tub, but as others said, use a light (I use a very light coating) coating of oil and put the rub on. You should be good to go.
Petunia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11 14 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mustard isn't your issue, it's prepping ahead of time then sitting in the fridge that's the problem. Personally, I'm a huge fan of doing a slather of ballpark mustard then the rub. Helps more of the rub stick and makes for a crispier, tastier bark, IMO. Point is, it's slather, sprinkle, then smoker in that order. No detours to the fridge. Enjoy!
The Sweetest Meat in South Jersey
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 14 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I do it another way.

I've tried mustard, oil, woo sauce, etc. and now all I do is pull the meat out of the package, trim as required, and apply rub. I do this while the pit is coming up to temp.
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18 14 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say dont blame the mustard, overnight the salt in the rub drew the moisture out of the meat and dissolved the sugar in it into the puddle as it melted, I rub about an hour for putting on the cooker.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: