FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brick Smoker/Multi-Use Build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chornbeck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 4:09 am    Post subject: Brick Smoker/Multi-Use Build Reply with quote

Interested to see if anyone can critique my multi-purpose brick pit design here, and answer a few questions. I've built something close to this in the past using cinder blocks and learned a lot that I want to incorporate into the new design. I'll explain the design, and questions after, please comment if you have any suggestions.... Thanks Smile

Purposes of design:

A. Direct pit-style BBQ, where the logs are burned in the fireplace on the right (which is elevated) and has a rebar/metal cage at about 30" height on which to burn the fire and let the coals drop through to be collected and shoveled into the front door on the left side smoking chamber. This is meant to replicate the burn barrel/direct pit NC-style BBQ.

B. Offset vertical smoker, using a top loading (steel lid) brick firebox, located on the far left of the unit. I've used the Feldon calculator to determine the size of the firebox in relation to the chamber volume, air intake, heat exchange, and chimney size in sq inches(chimney not to scale).

C. Cold smoker (same method as B, less fuel) - any suggestions for modifications that can aid the conversion from method B to C? (basically a way to variably restrict heat exchange while allowing smoke through the gate)

D. Wood grill - rebar/metal cage on right will have bracing to allow insertion of firebricks at 32" height to simulate Argentinian-style/Santa Maria style cooking, with a variable height grill (likely with a wheel)

E. Rotisserie - employed in same manner as D, suspended above unit on right

Questions

1. The firebox intake and heat exchange openings are sized according to the Feldon calculator, what I'm wondering is if the fact that the cook chamber is vertical rather than horizontal matters here. The point is made on the calculator page that a vertical cook chamber will require less of a chimney but it's not made clear to what degree, any ideas?

2. Materials - I've used firebrick for the firebox and floors of the wood grill, smoking chamber, and coal dump. I'll also likely line the insides of the wood grill area with firebrick. Any other suggestions of where I need to use firebrick rather than regular brick and any advice on whether a special (expensive) heat-resistant mortar is needed or I can just use standard-grade mortar?

3. Any obvious issues/design flaws?

Key to images:

Unit is completely enclosed on left with steel lid on top to access grill and door on bottom to feed coals, remove ash
Unit is open on front on right side (enclosed on 3 sides) to allow gathering of coals, access to wood grill

Dark Yellow - Firebrick
Light Yellow - Air Intake/Heat Exchange Openings
Dark Red - Regular Brick
Grey - Rebar/Metal
Dark Blue - Ash/Coal Door
Dotted Black - Grills

Front view:

Top View:

SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make pictures no longer than 650px on the longest side!

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
chornbeck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those seem to be exactly 650 px on the longest side, which would fit in with what you're asking... If you'd like me to change it anyway, let me know...
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are now 650 px as I saved them, resized them, hosted them on my site, and edited your post to show them in your post at the correct size.

Please post any future images no longer than 650px on the longest size.

I still work here!
chornbeck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice of you, sorry wasn't aware of the rule... Anybody have any thoughts on the smoker? I've already started digging the foundation, I really want to get this thing built, I just moved and had to leave my trusty old brick smoker behind...
Jerel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chornbeck,

A few people have built smokers out of blocks, bricks, and rocks. You might use the search to go back and find some of them.
SoEzzy or k.a.m. might even remember some of them.

Wish I could be more help,

Jerel
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chornbeck, as jerel mentioned, there are a few on here that have built fine brick smokers, one I can remember clearly is this one from my good bud chuckied. It may not be quite the same as your plans but some good ideas may be gained from it. Just click on the link below. Good luck. Smile
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39529&highlight=
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22 14 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally for cold smoking applications (I'm assuming you're meaning for curing of sausage or hams), the fire is a ways away from the cook chamber. As in a fire barrel or box with piping plumbed into the cook chamber a few feet away. The piping acts as a heat exchanger as the smoke travels through it. You could also build something like an old smokehouse, but with the heat retention of brick, your fire would be too hot for curing. This is the reason most smoke curing is done in the fall and winter. The cold ambient air will exchange heat faster and easier than a 90 degree day in July or August.

Also, I think your firebox to cook chamber opening will need to be elevated off the ground. Heat and smoke will rise, so your opening will need to be above the fire. Have you thought about how you're going to shovel ash out of the firebox?

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: