FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We would like that "Supersized" please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 9:33 am    Post subject: We would like that "Supersized" please! Reply with quote

Was asked to build one of my backyarders by a nice young man from the Houston area. He had some ports for thermo couples and a digi-temp controller box added as well. Really seemed to know what the heck he was doing. Found out mid build as to why. He was also a team member of " Sons O' Beaches" cooking team. His backyarder

Upon smoking up some goodies for his buds and liking the smoker, the team asked if I would build a cooker for them as their's had recently been permanently borrowed aka JACKED! I said "Sure" They then informed me they were looking for an 8 footer however. "Umm,hmm" They then also informed me they wanted .375" wall pipe for the base. 30" dia. as well. The conversation then kinda went " No way!" being a one man op and small shop, prolly beyond my resources. Pride, the thrill of a challenge, and a call to the k.a.m. man resulting in his stating ' Don't be a puss, you can build it" found myself uttering " Ok, Can do" We agreed upon a custom plate roll 30" x 8'. It was delivered by team members late one evening. Even in the dusk it was apparent this was huge. 960LBS of pipe. The following are pics of the build.
Pipe barely made it thru the door

Once inside and on saw horses, the end caps were cut and put into place

Marks for the extended roof were located and round roof removed

Front 4 door frame installed

To be continued...
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanting a bit more clearance, rack to rack, a lead in to the roof was added increasing the height from center to top by another 5".

The smoker was to be mounted on a new 20' x 8' trailer just before blast and paint. The team had decided to put in decking after the build rather than before mounting so it would have to be located on the frame crossmembers. Upon pulling some boards from the trailer and exposing the trailer frame crossmembers, what I had already figured was confirmed. there was no way in hell I was going to get my tongue wt / balance split and hit the crossmembers with standard legs. I went with leg / skid combo using 3/16" x 2" x 3" rect tubing. Stout stuff. She was now off the sawhorses and on firm ground, greatly reducing some of the fear factor of it unintentially doing an unplanned trip to the ground, possibly with me under it? Yah, much better. Smile

It was now time to add the grate rails. Nearing completion of the rails, the team asked about a 4'th rack to add capacity in the case they would be cooking smaller items such as loading it full of ribs. (It will also be used at times for a bit of catering) A 4'th row was added approx. where the door latches would mate up with the door frame so a slightly shorter set of rails were installed with a kind of piggyback set up using existing rails to locate and attach.

To be continued...
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, that thing is freaking awesome!.......Huge, but awesome. Shocked

I really love the way you lay out the doors and I like your rack system there. Whenever I upgrade one of these days, I'm going to do the cabinet style doors.

Cheers,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 14 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is THAT all you did today? It's not even dark yet. Get back to work. A couple more hours and you'll be done. Fire that thing up, I'm getting hungry...Laughing Laughing

J/K! - That's an awesome looking 'Backyarder'! I love that design. Man, you got the metal skills I can only dream about. Now if it was wood, I could knock that out in a couple of days Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 14 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of the cooking grates installed with slide locks on rails.

A few doors built with dual Therms on them and dual action progressive tightening door latch's. Bullet hinges are my preference and in this case the only way the 4 door would work.

While some folks can learn their cooker enough to use door temps only, Sons O' Beaches seems to have it down, I thought some digi -temp controller ports would be nice when / if the team decided to go digital grate temp units anyway. 1 per door.

Some couplings and split plugs do the job.

Doors finished out, it was time to move on to the firebox. Kinda waited until the end of the build as I was running out of room. Adding the FB made it standing room only and crowded at that. I commissioned some one off waterjet cut 4" dia opening dampers to be placed on 3 sides of the FB. Enough to bring her up to temp and allow to shut one down in the case of major wind with no need to relocate cooker.

To be continued...
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 14 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless Can i have fries with that Wink Laughing Wink

As usual looking good...great attention to detail. Will wait for the continuation Cool
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 14 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knew I shoulda payed more attention in shop class .

great looking build awsome talent you have there .
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 14 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gawd Wreckless... that thing is a monster. Go big or go home, right?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 14 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onto the firebox... pretty much my standard build with the end cap of the smoker extending down to serve as the base starting point (back side of fb). Being a one man operation, it allows for building the fb directly onto the cooker rather than separately so no further alignment is needed or the need to try and balance / fixture the box into place for attachment. Alignment is already figured by the end cap. A 45 deg lead in above the fb door s also my standard the idea being that it may help coax / turn the coals heat near the door in the right direction. Not sure of the validity of this thinking as the stack draw would / should be taking care of this but I like the look anyway. The FB door is the same design as the cooker doors, inset into a dual welded (interior and exterior weld) frame. The frame is offset on the bottom to locate flush with the fb bottom plate allowing for easy cleanout, just whisk broom out the ashes once any remaining coals are dead. While some prefer an end load only for refueling, again, my standard, is to include a top load as well. The top load can also be used occasionally as a grill for those that have only the one cooker. Having learned the hard way and as well from some way more experienced Pitmasters, I found that a continuous coal base is just as or more important than the repeatedly fed stick burning base. For this reason, I build and built a firebox basket. It contains a coal base much better than a coal grate. While the top load works well for adding sticks, the basket (with small grab handle) can be pulled almost half way out to restock a good lump base without the dust that would be created by using the top load.

FB done, time to move onto some finishes before mounting her onto the trailer. Due to the size, even with the 8' x 20' trailer, a wrap around smoker mounted prep area was not needed or going to work, a door side only was the preferred way to go so an ample 15" deep prep rack would work. With a decent amount of the rack still under the doors, the remaining amount going beyond the doors was livable, still enabling team members room to pass by. Using 1 1/2" x 1/4" flat for the frame and attached to some rigid mounting areas, the frame easily supports more smoking goodies than could ever be loaded onto it. 3/4 #9 ex metal serves as the countertop and was recessed approx. 1/16" below the top of the frame providing a small retaining lip. Some tool holder hooks were added at convenient points using just enough angle to hold the tools without requiring the services of Houdini to remove them. The prep rack location below the doors was decided using non scientific but rather some much more valuable data. A 16oz. cold one will fit under the doors without any on purpose or accidental removal of the beverage when opening the doors.

To be continued...
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 14 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797, Thank you, she was indeed more than 2 handfuls. The cabinet doors are a lot of work but a handy build when round doors go way awry.
BUGSnBBQ, Thank you. Understood the metal vs wood. I would have the leaning tower of pisa going on in the first few feet using anything built from wood. The longevity is not so good from what I hear on building a smoker tho, I will stick with steel, LOL

Yah Maniac, Thank you, grab some fries, pull up a chair and wait for the finale, not a bad show I think.

Thank you TOOLman!

Smokin Mike, the go big or go home was a coin toss at one time 'till I realized it was at my home. Shocked
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 14 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dummy door seals in place used to set doors in place and hinged. Kinda wastes some good seal material but the only way I can figure to get them set right. The seals are trashed before sending off to blast and paint, yah, damn redundant but what the hey?

doors almost finished

Time for the big day ... getting her up on the trailer for mounting. Without catastrophe. Shocked Lift truck was down so it would be the old fashioned way, if there is one. Hoist her up on there with winch up front and the a-frame hoist in the shop to ease the burden on the winch. Cranked up the trailer jack as far as it would go, added some additional lift via high lift jack to get the load height at the end of the trailer as low as possible. Several hours of winching and she was there.

A few calculations to get the desired tongue weight / trailer balance split and weld / secure her to the trailer. The stacks being to tall to clear the shop door meant an install outside.

Semi-flanged stack caps with control levers in place it was off to blast and paint. Receiving her back from a vey nice paint job, the permanent door seals were installed using Ultra Black high temp permatex and riveted to ease strain on the permatex sealer over time. The 2" Brass ball valve drain installed.

Lastly, after a mid build visit from my Pa, a retired Marine Corps pilot whose first Deployment was Oahu, Hawaii, looking in a bit of awe at the size of the smoker declared "That is ""The Big Kahuna"". I believe the team has adopted the name, kinda goes well with the team name as well.
With a little fab skill, a few fab toys, some good luck and prayers, some fellow Smoke Ringers motivation, and finally, a Great bunch of guys from the "Son O' Beaches" cooking team to work with, the "Big Kahuna" was created!
Further updates as to how she performs may be added later, the first burn in / seasoning went well.
Thanks again for looking, kudos, etc. Too much Fun! Very Happy
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 14 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build, probably one of the best thought out, & executed builds I have seen on the ring...
CarbedNotch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 14 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless: Wow what an amazing grill! You got SKILLZ!!! Cool
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 14 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess, CarbedNotch...Thank you, kudo's always appreciated and as I mentioned many times previously, helps keep it all more like fun than work.

FWIW...forgot to post earlier, for those that may be unfamiliar with a dual stack build or even those that are familiar, yup, she is a hybrid. Running 1/4" x 8" interlock tuning plates atop 1/4" x 1" angle, it can be run conventional using the far side stack and running gaps between the plates to achieve different heat zones or for running a reverse flow setup with all plates butted up to the FB and using the FB end stack. Following is a pic of plates from a backyarder using the same idea.

CarbedNotch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 14 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daang Very Happy
jar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 14 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice . You can definiteley be proud of this . It will make the owners the envy of every comp. they go to.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 14 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

You could have turned it lengthwise and it would have fit a little easier Razz Wink Laughing

I remember some of the first phone calls on this big dog...I think you were called a p^$$y by myself as well Laughing In fact I know you were Laughing Laughing

That thing is a beast Mike but pulled off in true Wreckless style. Congrats on yet another fine build my friend. I still stick to my words when I say you have mad skill brother!
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 14 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You appear to have a good solution to the doors springing on a round unit; just put square doors on it. Since you have 2 smoke stacks, I take it that you can convert from a simple offset to a reverse flow. The smoke stacks seem usually high. Is there a reason for the height?

George
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 14 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
Mike wrote:
Quote:

You could have turned it lengthwise and it would have fit a little easier Razz Wink Laughing !

Shocked Troy, I fail to see how that would have helped. The door is not any taller than it is wide. Turning it lengthwise would not have made any difference. Rolling Eyes
TrailerBuilder wrote:

I remember some of the first phone calls on this big dog...I think you were called a p^$$y by myself as well Laughing In fact I know you were Laughing Laughing

I have been called worse but in this case it may have been just what I needed tho somewhere in there I am pretty sure you were called worse at the time.
TrailerBuilder wrote:

That thing is a beast Mike but pulled off in true Wreckless style. Congrats on yet another fine build my friend. I still stick to my words when I say you have mad skill brother!

Right on Bro! Very Happy Thanks! I'll send you some blueprints for when you build yours, your better half will thank me and surely mention my name in praise when she see's that going on in her garage. K, correction, she may very well mention my name but I guess I can prolly not look forward to the praise part. Cool
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 14 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jar wrote:
Very nice . You can definiteley be proud of this . It will make the owners the envy of every comp. they go to.

Thank You jar!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: