FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another record Father's Day!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Jun 17 2014    Post subject: Another record Father's Day! Reply with quote

Father's Day has always been our busiest day of the year in the restaurant and the week has also been the busiest with the peak of grad party season and the wedding or two. We beat our restaurant sales by over 18%. We didn't have a phone person for the second 1/2 and so we only managed to grab probably less than half the phone orders we may have been able to in the dinner hours. The kitchen was already crushed anyway, so the wait and the rib shortages probably would have kept things close to the same. Essentially the kitchen couldn't have done much more with the food and staff available. Our smokers were filled up with extra meats and I had a hard time keeping up with ribs. I should have started out with another case of spare and we had just enough back to cook, but one came in out of date and we couldn't use it and there was no more to be had on Sunday, we tried, as a result we had spot shortages. We could only cook so far a head because my holding space was being used to staging caterings too. We really got killed with huge call in take out orders early as well. We will make adjustments again next year to keep the trend going. I have a nice big cooler and I still had it packed to the ceiling with the 30 parties we catered over the weekend. I dread June, but the cash flow saved our business in the beginning and has paid for our growth ever since. It rained all weekend and we still made hay.

I worked over 100 hours last week, 4 20s in a row including running the line ALL day Sunday after doing prep most of the night. Took Monday off to do paper work and go fishing with my kids for a couple of hours. Two more weeks of June, July 4th weekend then 4 days off! I haven't had a whole day off since December. Who wants to own a restaurant??? It's 3am Tuesday and it's time to get briskets and spare ribs in for lunch today. Another week at the smoke house. I hope everyone else is doing well.

Oh, it was nice to see Camdentom at Restaurant depot last Thursday, I think it was. He said he is getting through the learning curve and getting control of the controllables. Good to hear!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Jun 17 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats,

Sunday was busy,

Have you tried that source for brisket points yet? I hope to get a few cases of points in this week, I am now blowing through point at a 2-1 ratio over flats due to a few specialty sandwiches that got too popular.
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Jun 18 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats... we took Fathers day off.. and we intend to take Sunday's off too, just need a decent day off. I know it's a busy day but to heck with it!!
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

Louie wrote:
Congrats... we took Fathers day off.. and we intend to take Sunday's off too, just need a decent day off. I know it's a busy day but to heck with it!!

We were closed lunch on Saturdays and all day Sunday at my first restaurant and it was nice, but it was gourmet Italian. With BBQ weekend lunch is popular and Sundays and Fridays pretty much tie for second busiest day. Kinda hard to take that off when there's bills to pay. Mondays off work nice because many things you want to do aren't packed. 60 plus % of the US works in the service industry on evenings and weekends too. Sadly I usually end up working half of Monday anyway while my family sleeps in.
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

I hear ya, there's really no day off when you factor in the cleaning, prep etc..etc.. But Sunday's we just walk away from it or at least try to..
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

Harry Nutczak wrote:
congrats,

Sunday was busy,

Have you tried that source for brisket points yet? I hope to get a few cases of points in this week, I am now blowing through point at a 2-1 ratio over flats due to a few specialty sandwiches that got too popular.

So where can a guy get brisket points around here?

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Jun 19 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
congrats,

Sunday was busy,

So where can a guy get brisket points around here?

Upper lakes foods is my source to product from Creekstone Farms. Nice quality beef!! I will probably be getting 6-10 cases of points weekly this summer. I invented a few specialty sammies to move point, and they overtook flat usage.
I do not cook flats, I only cook whole briskets, and separate at service. But I need to start cooking more point due to current demand for what we are doing with them.
I refuse to doi burnt ends, too much screwing around than I have time or room to play with.
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Jun 24 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why arent you cooking ahead so you have product to serve ALL day instead of running out?

Too much screwing around to make Burnt Ends?
Your customers probably wouldn't know what they were anyways.
Rolling Eyes
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Jun 24 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbq Bubba wrote:
Why arent you cooking ahead so you have product to serve ALL day instead of running out?

Rolling Eyes

I find that a difficult thing to judge, I usually sell out too early but if I cook too much I have leftovers??? Sad Wink
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Jun 25 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbq Bubba wrote:

Too much screwing around to make Burnt Ends?

Rolling Eyes

Yes, too much screwing around. I am not going to separate the points, and cook them again. I need all the room I can get in my pit the way it is now. I am not going to wipe out a rack or two with some sauced-up crap in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: