FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combo smokers/cookers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mwlovelace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02 14 7:53 am    Post subject: Combo smokers/cookers? Reply with quote

Hello, I was curious if there is a factory made cooker that could give you the best of all worlds? I'm wanting to start up a small catering business on the side. It would be focusing on bbq, but I'd like to have the option of cooking with gas as well at events if needed. I know I could purchase two separate cookers, but was wondering if there was one that covered all my wants.

I would like to have a reverse flow smoker, yet would like to have the option of using direct gas or charcoal as well.

I'm getting into this due to my passion to cook bbq. I've always cooked bbq slow, low, and indirect. I'm concerned about purchasing a gas grill/pig cooker and jeopardizing my taste profile of the bbq.

I've been cooking 4 8lb boston butts on a brinkman smoker with very good success, but need to step it up for larger jobs and demand.

Thank you very much!
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29 14 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminology! I often call whatever I'm smoking meat with "my cooker". I assume you are using the term "smoker" to mean one powered by wood and "cooker" to mean one powered by propane.

The one I built uses both. It has a traditional firebox. Down low in the back there is a hole through which a pipe burner is bolted. That burner blows a propane flame into the firebox. Above that is a fire grate which I put logs on. I can either use the burner to start the wood and then run as a stick burner or I can keep running the burner and just add wood when I want a little extra heat and smoke.

Where to buy one? No idea. I have never once considered buying a meat smoker, since I'm a metalworker and enjoy making the cookers just as much as cooking with them!

seattlepitboss
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29 14 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwlovelace, there are a lot of cookers out there with "gas assist" in the firebox. These are not for maintaining a cookers temperature, they are for lighting logs and that is it. Anyone that tries to run an offset cooker with their gas assist is begging for a severe accident. It isn't a matter of if an explosion will happen it is a matter of when it will happen.
My advice is if you want a cooker that does both look at a rotisserie like a Southern pride, Ole Hickory, or an FEC. Or buy an offset and get some sort of gas cooker with the proper safety equipment in place.
These are just my thoughts I hope it helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: