FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my first offset build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12 14 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks auto5man, its coming along pretty good considering I hadn't welded in 5+ years before this project I guess. Just don't look too close at some of my welds and cuts! I've done it all so far by myself with just an old Lincoln tombstone stick welder, a oxyacetylene cutting torch, a 4" grinder and a cherry picker in my garage.

Hopefully I'll get some more progress pics up later tonight.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ Thank you for the compliment Exclamation
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran out of acetylene pretty early today, so didn't get much done. Nothing worth posting pictures of anyway. Hopefully I'll get some work done this weekend. I appreciate everyone's input so far, thanks
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ wrote:
This setup will put the tuning plates around 4" from the cooking grate.

JLCBBQ, I would weld the deflector in solid.
I use deflectors in my cookers all the time and angle them up to about 20°. I prefer a 6" gap between my plates and grate but 4.5" to 6" will work as well. If you can increase the angle a bit it will help disperse the heat coming up through your plate gaps better.

Hybrid Cooker
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 14 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks k.a.m, I can probably angle that plate down a little more and get my tuning plates down closer to that 6" range. I will play with it this weekend. You said you run your deflectors around 20°, at what point would you call an angle too steep? Just trying to figure out how much room I have to play with
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15 14 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ, I personally do not care for one more than about 30°. 20° is still subtle enough to not restrict the flow. The steeper you go the more restriction you are placing on the flow, the heat enters the chamber and wants to move up only to hit a steep angle and is forced down due to the draft.
These are just my thoughts on the subject. I have seen cookers with much steeper angles that seem to work.

Hybrid Cooker
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25 14 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got some time to work on the pit today. Got the side opposite the fire box fully welded on and got my exhaust stack welded on. Also cleaned up my door counterweight, filled it with scrap steel and sand and capped it. Pretty much just need to get the firebox door and intakes built and make a rack for the firebox and it'll be ready for a test fire.

auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26 14 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress CL. You were knocking your skills there in the beginning, but I have to disagree. Your build looks first rate, nice clean lines and fit!
DPP Clone Build in progress: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65139&start=0
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27 14 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it auto5man, its turning out better than I thought. Some things are a little off here and there, but no big deal.
Made a little more progress today, really wish I had worked on it more in the winter, starting to get pretty hot in the garage. Got my firebox door pretty much built. Just need to put a handle/latch on it and finish the intake. The little firebox grate in the pictures is not what I will be using, but I do plan on putting the actual one at the same height. My intake is going to be a dial type and the opening is 6". What do y'all think, see any potential problems?

JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27 14 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28 14 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' great so far!

It's hard to tell from the pics, so I'll ask. Is your fire grate up high enough to get a cleanout tool under it if you need to do some ash management during an extended cook session?

I used the info you'd been given on this thread regarding the deflector plate to help design my combination deflector / diffuser for the trailer pit I purchased.
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28 14 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fire grate sits up about 6 inches from the bottom, I plan on making some sort of rake to clear ash. Glad the deflector plate info helped you
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 14 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my firebox intake pretty much finished. Its a 6" opening and I capped it with some 3/8" plate wrapped with some 1 1/4"x 1/8" flat bar. It screws in and out on 5/8" threaded rod and a zinc coupling nut. It should work pretty good, what do y'all think? Also, do y'all think I should have my fire grate completely above the intake, or have about 2/3 below and the top 1/3 above?

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 14 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLCBBQ wrote:
Got my firebox intake pretty much finished. Its a 6" opening and I capped it with some 3/8" plate wrapped with some 1 1/4"x 1/8" flat bar. It screws in and out on 5/8" threaded rod and a zinc coupling nut. It should work pretty good, what do y'all think? Also, do y'all think I should have my fire grate completely above the intake, or have about 2/3 below and the top 1/3 above?

I built a wood stove once with the same type of air intake. It worked pretty good but the adjustment was pretty fine... almost had to have a feeler gauge to get it set properly. If I had it to do over again I probably wouldn't but hopefully you'll have a better go at it than I. It's lookin' good man! I like what you've done.
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 14 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just like how it looks, and if it ends up not working good enough it will be easy enough to knock off with a grinder and convert to a sliding intake. I'm sure it'll be fine though. Thanks
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 14 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work on your cooker JLCBBQ I like it. Very Happy I love mechanical weights on cooker doors, the Texas plate on the Sampson post looks cool. Cool I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04 14 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks k.a.m, I'm liking how this beast is turning out. Getting really close to finishing. The Texas plate has been sitting around the house for 15 or 16 years, it was my cutting torch test in my metal fab class in high school. Finally found a use for it! Cool
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04 14 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some good progress today, just have a few little things left, getting really close to firing it up.

Got my firebox handle figured out, turned out good, gives me a nice tight seal.
Put this on the inside of the firebox to give the latch something to seat up against, works pretty good. Vertical welding has never been a strength...

Seals up tight
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04 14 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also got my exhaust cover built.

The handle tucks up under the stack when it is closed. Need to get another spring handle for it.

Got my deflector plate and tuning plate rails put in today, too.

Angled the plate at 20°, this will put about 4.5" between the top of my grate and the top of the tuning plates

Here's how it sits as of now:

Almost there, just need to install my drain in the bottom of the cooking chamber, put a shelf on the front, finish some welding here and there, clean it up with a grinder and paint it.
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06 14 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about pulling the trigger on two 3" Tel-Tru thermometers to install on the left and right hand side of the cooking chamber door. I know having the stem closer to the grate is always better, but I'm leaning towards the 2.5" stems. I worry about a longer stem hitting my food and losing some usable cooking space. I also plan on using some oven thermometers inside and getting a digital maverick for more accurate readings. What do y'all think? Will these be a good enough ball park reference, or will I be wasting my time/money?
Also, the best deal I have found online for two 3" Tel-Trus and the mounting hardware is $85.46, shipped, does this sound reasonable or is there a better place to get them? And is the "mounting hardware" absolutely necessary, or is it something that can be found at the hardware store? Dont mind paying for quality thermos, but 10 bucks for some nuts and washers seems steep.
I know there are cheaper thermos out there that probably work just as good, but I am prone to buyers remorse and I try to stick with American made products if I can. Any advice is appreciated as always. Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: