FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow Cooked Beef Sirloin Steak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21 07 4:00 am    Post subject: Slow Cooked Beef Sirloin Steak Reply with quote

Slow Cooked Beef Sirloin Steak

Beef, beef, beef, beef, I love beef. Every now and then the wife brings home steak and wants me to cook it rare. Well, I like my steaks medium rare to medium and have learned to cook it that way, but she doesnít like medium rare steaks. It seems that steaks cooked at a high temperature (like other types of meat) continue to cook on the table while resting. In order for me to pull the steaks to her liking, I have to wait until mine is done. The cure to this dilemma is slow cooked / smoked steaks. She gets the rare texture she likes and I can get the smoky flavor and doneness I like by putting mine on a hotter part of the grates.

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. Cilantro
2 Tbsp. Kansas City Steak Rub ( a mixture of salt, garlic, bell pepper, fennel, and sugar.)
1 Bottle of Garlic Vinaigrette (you will not use all of it)

We start by mixing the dry ingredients together and rubbing on the meat.

Once you have covered the meat, lightly sprinkle with the garlic vinaigrette until well covered.

The vinaigrette will act as a binder for the dry rub and give the meat some extra moisture while cooking. Because we are cooking this at a lower temperature (275 degrees) than normal grilling, the oil in the mix will allow a better transfer of heat to the meat. If you were to cook this without the added oil, it would just take longer to cook and the consistency of the meat would be slightly different.

Place the meat in preheated smoker at 275 degrees and cook until the desired doneness is achieved. For medium rare, it took about 1 hour to cook, flipping once.

As I said, the meat came out just like everyone liked. My wife got the nice pink meat she likes and I got my smoky flavor. You can see how juicy the steak was and you could almost cut it with a fork.

Last edited by Alien BBQ on Wed Feb 21 07 4:28 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21 07 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good...

Not sure where you get your steaks, but I hope you didn't pay rib eye price for that, cause that's not a rib eye. Looks like a sirloin cut to me, but definitely not a rib eye.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21 07 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going by what was on the package. Ended up costing me $3.99 a pound at Sams. I will change the name on your recommendation.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21 07 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Just going by what was on the package. Ended up costing me $3.99 a pound at Sams. I will change the name on your recommendation.

Read my post again to make sure....I didn't recommend anything. Rolling Eyes

Just calling them how I see them, and trying to provide you w/ some info so you don't get taken. Having bought a lot of ribeyes, I can tell you $3.99/lb. is not a ribeye price, so I'm sure the package was just mislabeled.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21 07 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I then bow to your expertise. When it comes to steak, I very rarely buy them myself (my wife does) so I have not paid a lot of attention to what is in the package. Normally when I shop I just ask the guy behind the counter for Delmonicos. If they have them I buy steaks, if they donít, I donít. Beef is fairly cheap here with most steaks running from $1.19 to $5.99 a pound. In fact, I have noticed that it is sometimes cheaper to buy steak and have it ground, than to buy hamburger (which has run up to $3.99 a pound.) Anyway, I figure that you know your meat so if you believe that it is a sirloin, then it probably is. In fact, I have asked the butcher from Albertsons to come and talk about cuts of meat durring the next Pit Master University class.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21 07 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, that is unlike any ribeye I have ever scene before. There is no loin muscle, no fat tip or strap along the back.

Heres a pic of a ribeye on the bone for future reference. Just try to imagine it without the bone.

Damn, that is some fine looking meat.
LIAR #100
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 07 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT'S a ribeye!!!! Shocked

Yummmmmmmmm!
Sa-Mokin 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 07 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Roxy, that more like a small rib ROAST! Beautiful cut for sure!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 07 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aged it myself and I got to say that aint no small roast, that one was a three boner from the fat end. A ribeye is a prime rib minus the fat tip but I like em with that left on as there is some good eating down there.

That was a nice hink of meat, will have to save my money to get another one.
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: