FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vending Trailer Floor plan / Updated 02-07-2015

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmack83

PostPosted: Fri May 23 14 1:23 am    Post subject: Vending Trailer Floor plan / Updated 02-07-2015 Reply with quote

After almost 6 years lurking and making very few posts on this forum I (we, wife and I) have decided to pursue vending and catering on a more permanent basis. If anyone who has a few minutes could point to me a link where they have posted their trailer plans or layout it would be greatly appreciated. As of now, I am looking at a 24 ft freedom trailer with a 7 or 8 ft porch area for my cookers. We need to have a stove in order to be able make our sauce and sides, and also plenty of cold storage. Trailer will have tandem 5200 lb axles with a 3600 lb dry weight and that should leave me enough weight to put just about whatever we need in the trailer. We have budgeted a double door commercial refer, 36" 6 burner stove - oven with 6' hood system. A LP steam table as well as a used CVAP holding cabinet. We will have two smokers on the rear with each having 4 racks at 8 sq ft per rack. My main concern at this point is location of equipment and vending window. is any of this overkill? What have y'all done that worked, and what would you change if you had a chance to do it over? The menu will be kept as simple as our customers will allow. For now; Pulled Pork, Ribs & sliced brisket, beans, slaw, mac n cheese, collards on most any day. We may experiment with pulled chicken. also plan on having Ice tea (need ice maker), and one dessert offering as well. (We may alternate the ribs & brisket out)

Last edited by tmack83 on Sun Feb 08 15 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Red Barn BBQ

PostPosted: Fri May 23 14 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds very similar to what I'm planning besides the porch on the rear...my trailer is 7x14 and we're putting a 40lb fryer, 30" stovetop w/oven, 6' hood, 36" prep table w/refrig, and of course the 3 compartment sink w/drainboards and hand wash station...I've drawn it up a couple of different ways, but anyway you slice it, it's tight in there...

good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this one to see what comes of it
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 23 14 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Red Barn Door pointed out you will need a 3 compartment sink with a separate hand washing sink . You also need hot water heater, fresh water and waste water tanks. Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
tmack83

PostPosted: Sat May 24 14 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed to mention the sinks. I was told by the HD that if we were to include any vegetable washing, that would be yet another sink!! ie wash tomatoes, cabbage, or any other vegetable or fruit that is going be washed as part of the prep, it requires an additional sink...
tmack83

PostPosted: Mon May 26 14 9:52 pm    Post subject: pic of cad drawing Reply with quote

A co worker put my ideas in a cad drawing. Since the two cabinet smokers on the rear weigh in at 1000 lbs each, i put all the other equipment before the 5200 lb axles. So, those of you that vend or have in the past, what about this set up needs to change? the vending window is not labeled, but is to the right of the propane steam table. not listed is a 6' hood over the oven with fire suppression. Genset and propane tanks will be on extended tongue. Porch windows will be 4' long instead of the 6'6" drawn. Ceiling height is 7'6". Sink package includes 6 gal water heater.

tmack83

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 14 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been busy since my last post. Ordered the trailer from a Freedom dealer, 7k axles, vee nose, partition wall, water package with triple bottom sink, hand wash sink, vegetable sink, hood package, vend window and lift up flaps on all 3 sides of the rear smoke house. I added a 2 door commercial fridge, Metro C5 holding cabinet, Vulcan 6 burner stove, prep table, shelving and i am waiting on my steam table; using chafing dishes for now. I also went ahead and spent the$ for fire suppession. I also custom built a gravity fed cabinet smoker (actually 2 in one frame) and bolted it to the frame in the rear Smoke room. Been vending 2 weeks now and having a blast!!!

Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 14 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks VERY nice! How 'bout some pics of the smokers and interior!!
I just picked up my 2nd Freedom Trailer 2 weeks ago, am building it out myself, always looking to steal an idea or 3 Shocked Wink Very Happy
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
FreebirdTPark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05 14 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking trailer. If you don't mind my asking, What dealer did you go through? Were you satisfied with their service? I am trying to save my pennies, and thinking about taking the plunge.
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 14 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice trailer....would love to see inside pictures.
tmack83

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17 14 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to take some inside pictures soon. It seems as soon as we clean up one mess we make another. We have been very busy vending & catering and will be busy right up till Christmas Eve.
tmack83

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08 15 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to taking a few inside pictures. I raised the Fridge and the holding cabinet to sit right over the axle. 8 ft head room came in real handy for that.

]

[/URL]

[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/tmack83/media/IMG_2633_zps01ce952d.jpg.html]

The smoker is just behind the double doors in the partion wall. I built the smoker last summer after I retired. It is a gravity fed double cabinet smoker. it is two independent smokers built in one frame.

[/URL]
Reignman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09 15 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great looking trailer setup! Are you still going to get a steam table or are the chafers working out fine as-is?

Do you have a generator to power everything If so, what size are you using?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm looking to get into vending this year and am working through some logistics myself.

Cheers!
tmack83

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to use the electric chafing dishes for now.
The generator is a Kubota GL 11000 Diesel Generator
jon407

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16 15 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tmac-
i'm getting ready to retire from a profession and company that I've been with for 39 years and have been planning to move to a bbq food truck for my next career. I've been doing a lot of homework but what I'd really like to know, if it's not too personal a question, approximately what did it cost you, "soup to nuts" to get your trailer going? please feel free to pm me with the info if that makes it easier. Thanks for your help.

jon
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 15 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon407 wrote:
Hi tmac-
i'm getting ready to retire from a profession and company that I've been with for 39 years and have been planning to move to a bbq food truck for my next career. I've been doing a lot of homework but what I'd really like to know, if it's not too personal a question, approximately what did it cost you, "soup to nuts" to get your trailer going? please feel free to pm me with the info if that makes it easier. Thanks for your help.

jon

That nice trailer and equipment.... i`d guess in the mid 30`s. LOL (am i close?)
BBQ into retirement is getting popular. That`s my plan as of right now. Although i do vending on weekends now i`d like to just quit my day job and get to it. But after almost 30 years in the auto body field its kinda tuff to just walk away.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 15 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon407 wrote:
Hi tmac-

jon

NOT to bust your bubble or question your abilities - but I HIGHLY recommend a "set it and forget it" type smoker! It seems LOTS of guy's do this as "retirement income" only to come to the realization that BBQ is twice the work, for [ sometimes FAR] less than half the pay of a "real" job.....LOL....Lots of used equipment out there cheap from these failed ventures! Watch craigslist etc. The list of used equipped trailers is getting longer all the time!
When I "retired" [ thanks to the economy ] from construction, I thought BBQ would be easier on my bad back and knee's....WRONG! Invest in some REALLY good floor mats and shoes!! Laws changing from city to city, county, town etc. is almost as much work to keep up with as the BBQ itself....Food inspectors can be worse than building inspectors, and fee's alone can break ones bank! Dont get me going on fee's from peddlers licensing to county to state add on's....and a commissary....OK, I'll stop....lol
I sincerely wish you well on your venture, NOT trying to be a downer here...But MOST here will tell you they really didnt know what they were getting into!! Shocked Smile
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Reignman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 15 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tmack, that is a nice layout! Just wondering, are you vending as a one-man show? or do you have helpers?

If doing it yourself, how do you find it and roughly how many customers are you serving each day?

I'm getting my location setup and am planning to start out with just me at the helm and wondering if I'm "crazy". Smile

Cheers.
akbarbecue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 15 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mr. Tony's comments. We purchased a used enclosed trailer, stripped it out, & added back what I wanted in it. I went with the CTO Hickory smoker for the ease of use. Set it & almost forget about it! At least I can sleep at night. That's about all! When in operation, lots of hours spent from early morning to late nights. I cook everything from scratch other than our buns. Regulations do change from state to state & town to town. Here in Alaska we are required to have 5 sinks, 6 if your washing veggies. Luckily I have a super inspector that I get along with great. Listen to them, work with them & normally you will have no problems. They are just trying to keep your customers safe as you should be too! Cost - We've got probably 30 - 40 thousand invested (turnkey) excluding the truck needed to pull the weight. I have to say I actually miss the operation during the winter months & by the end of summer, I'm glad to see winter arrive. It is a lot of work but to see our customers come back year after year, just puts a smile on your face. Oh & by the way for you guys out there, this is a totally ran women operation. Yes guys, women do BBQ too!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 15 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh & by the way for you guys out there, this is a totally ran women operation. Yes guys, women do BBQ too!

We've had several Woman BBQ'ers post here over the years! Just hard to tell when the screen name or icon doesnt reflect one's chromosome makeup Wink
I've seen many women "run" BBQ operations in our travels! and that "Diva Q" from Canadia seems to do a pretty good job at it too Wink
I dont believe anyone means to exclude the fairer of the sexes in their posts!! I sometimes post "Guy's n Gal's" but often just type "guys" etc....the term "Guy's" can be Gals in my book!
In my 2 rig's, were ALL known as "bitches"....LOL....Window bitch, dish bitch....heck, I'm the "pit bitch"....Bitch being -" slave to whats gotta be done", not a sexually oriented statement....just sayin'!
Just hired another female yesterday and explained this to her....She thought it was great! Her dream is to someday own a grilled cheese truck....Hopeful she can monitor pit temps and feed logs - so I can take more naps! I dont think Mrs Tony would like hearing "she can sure handle a load of meat at 2am"....but time will tell....LOL!!
Sorry to get so off track here Tmack, NICE RIG!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: