FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80 Gallon Vertical Tank: Update 5/8/2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08 14 6:35 am    Post subject: 80 Gallon Vertical Tank: Update 5/8/2016 Reply with quote

So, I picked up this here tank from another member in the classifieds. It's around 80 gallon and the cylinder part is just a smidge larger than a 55 gallon drum

Here's my concept drawing. What is not shown but is considered is...

(1) Angled legs and casters to roll this bad boy around.
(2) Ash pan sitting on top of the fire brick
(3) Heat stack between the firebox and the tank
(4) A heat deflector plate
(5) The door cutout and cooking grates
(6) An exhaust stack

An idea of where the cooking grates will go. Trying to make use of the existing bungs for temperature probe placement.

I got all my firebox plate steel cut up. This is the door frame.

The back view of the door frame

The door placed in the frame. The door will be recessed but not as much as you see. When I get some stove gasket behind it, it will elevate it a bit.

Got the heat stack welded in the firebox top plate. I may adjust the length of the stack after I can see how far it protrudes into the tank.

How it would look from inside the firebox. The firebox top plate and the heat stack cutout.

The tank flipped upside down and the cutout for the heat stack going into the tank.

The tank flipped upside down mounted to the top plate. Note the plated bolts are temporary until I can get some black bolts from the big boy fastener store.

The fitting of the heat stack into the tank. This is still looking at it upside down.

That's the progress to date and quite enough for one posting. I hope to get some more updates after the next weekend. Comments and constructive criticism all appreciated. Very Happy

Last edited by Smokin Mike on Mon May 09 16 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Greasyfingers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 14 11:02 pm    Post subject: Stable Reply with quote

Looking at your design my only comment would be the stability.

When you open the door and pull a rack out it maybe close to tipping over?

I think it would be a bitch to move and if you attach wheels it will only exacerbate the problem.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 14 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check out the heavy-duty bullet smoker Brinnie made a while back.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19147

I think a heat & smoke diffuser like k.a.m. puts in his UDS's would be a great addition (seeing it's in your list of items under consideration).
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 14 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. I'll be interested in seeing how it cooks.
EAT BACON
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 14 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greasyfingers wrote:
Looking at your design my only comment would be the stability.

When you open the door and pull a rack out it maybe close to tipping over?

I think it would be a bitch to move and if you attach wheels it will only exacerbate the problem.

I am planning on kicking out some 2 x 2 x 1/4" tubing at about 15° from the bottom corners of the firebox to a set of 6" castors. I need to elevate the whole thing a bit to get the cooker at working level so that works out to my advantage. The spread on the wheel pattern should take care of the tipping possibility. The firebox lowers the center of gravity since it outweighs the cooker by quite a bit. If that doesn't work then plan B is weld some cantilever supports under the firebox so that the wheels stick out enough to stabilize the unit. There won't be any sliding racks but rather a circular grate that sits on some rollers so I can spin them around... kind of like a lazy Susan. I got to have wheels on this or it would be a bitch to move around. Thanks for the input! See my summary below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the link Necron. My diffuser is planned to be a curved disk like we're using for disco cooking. It could be a water pan if need be but primarily I'm intending on using it for a grease catch. I may plumb it to the outside of the cooker with a valve on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
biker.chef, I'm looking forward to the first cook as well. I'm trying to take the principles of a UDS and apply them here with a few enhancements. I keep hearing about all these long burn times and tight temperature control you guys get in with a UDS. I'm hoping I can enjoy some of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This project could be considered an R&D effort with a little trial and error here and there. I got a few ideas that I'm going to spring forward and we'll see if they work or not. If something doesn't work then that's what they make cutting wheels and jig saws for. Laughing

Thanks guys!
davefan360

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 14 9:56 am    Post subject: move it like a dolly Reply with quote

Another idea for moving it is put 2 locked casters on the back, and 2 legs on the front. And then a foot whole on the back and a handle on top to move it around. This will work well on grass and concrete.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 14 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: move it like a dolly Reply with quote

davefan360 wrote:
Another idea for moving it is put 2 locked casters on the back, and 2 legs on the front. And then a foot whole on the back and a handle on top to move it around. This will work well on grass and concrete.

Thanks for the idea Dave. I'm not sure I want to tilt this thing back to roll it around but until I get it fabricated I won't know the dynamics of it. Your idea may work but I'll have to wait to see. I'm guesstimating that it will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 lbs. I've got some 6" polyurethane castors on order and that will get me started. I'm pretty sure those castors won't work well out in the yard but I mostly cook in the driveway anyway.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 9:24 pm    Post subject: 80 Gallon Vertical Build - Weekend Update Reply with quote

Here's the update from this past weekend. I was chomping at the bit to continue on so I knocked off a couple of hours early on Friday.

Got the firebox tacked up and ready for welding. I did a test fit of the firebrick and the top of the firebox. I'm going to leave the top off until I completely finish everything that needs to be done on the inside. That leaves me with another access point if I need to get to something. I also got the air intake holes drilled out.

Got the rails in for the charcoal basket and took a look at the air intake valves and piping.

Here's an elevation view of the air intake system. I believe I'm going to shorten the 1" nipples to bring them back towards the sides of the charcoal basket.

Got the firebox welded and ground down to look pretty. Rolling Eyes I ran out of steel so the charcoal basket is partially done. The basket will hold about a cubic foot of material if it's naked, a little less with some partitions in there to control the burn. I got the ash pan assembled also. I'm going to put some handles on that for easy removal.

That's all for now. Looks like we got rain moving in for a couple of days so it will be later in the week before I can get back to it.
dhal22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20 14 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work here. Any updates?

David
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21 14 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhal22 wrote:
Great work here. Any updates?

David

Thanks Dave! Actually I just finished loading up some more pictures.

I don't feel like I got a lot done this Easter weekend. Friday was cold, overcast, and just gloomy. My heart wasn't into it so I passed on that day. Saturday it rained most of the day. Today, Sunday, I put in some hours but it was mostly detail work and that goes painfully slow. What's the saying??? The devil is in the details?

So here's a picture of the air intake nipples cut back a couple of inches. Also a couple of rails laying on the left and right sides of the firebrick. It's 3/4" angle that keeps the ash pan centered. They aren't attached to anything and are just laying in there.

I finished framing the charcoal basket and got some of the mesh in there. I'm making some channels that will mount on the right and left of the basket and allow some panels to slide in there to partition the charcoal. If you've seen the dividers in some of the charcoal baskets then that's what I'm doing. I also got some handles fabbed up and mounted.

Here's a birds eye view of the charcoal basket. The handles act as a stop and keep the basket centered in the firebox.

Front view of the basket and the ash pan with a handle mounted on it for easy removal.

I installed the gasketing around the perimeter of the door frame. Next thing on the agenda is to install the door hinges and the latch. I hope to do that next weekend in addition to finishing the charcoal basket. And if all that gets done then I can weld the top onto the firebox.

That's all for now.
Justapod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21 14 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Smokin Mike.
dhal22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22 14 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work and photos. Thanks

David
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22 14 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Justapod.

Thanks David.

I hope to get this firebox wrapped up here soon so I can move on the business end. Smile
EARZ85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 14 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good keep on keepin on!!!!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 14 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EARZ85 wrote:
Lookin good keep on keepin on!!!!

Thank you EARZ85! I'm "keepin on" as much as I can but that pesky thing called a job and honey do's keeps getting in the way. Laughing

So I did make some more progress over the weekend. I finished the charcoal basket and got my "maze" partitions constructed. I can't believe how much time it took to get those buggers done.

Got the firebox door latch mostly done. I'm waiting on a spring handle and some weldable bullet hinges to come in and then I can call the door complete. Should be done by the next update.

I welded on the top to the firebox. So here's a funny story; It's on 180° backwards. Despite how careful I marked everything and it's orientation I somehow managed to screw up. You'll have to look at the next picture but because there was nothing perfectly circular about the lower shroud and the mounting lugs on the tank were not in a square formation then the tank had to sit on the top of the firebox in a certain orientation. So instead of looking at the "pretty" side of the tank I was looking at the vertical seam as I stood at the firebox door. Sheesh!!! Crying or Very sad

I set everything on cinderblocks because they represented the same height as the castors. More about that in a minute but if you look close you can see where I lopped off the mounting lugs, spun the tank around, and welded them back on. That seemed to be the easiest solution to my dilemma per the f-up described above. The tank is not centered as well as it should have been but I'll probably be the only one that notices.

Ok, back to the test fit. I'm here to tell you that despite what looks good on paper and what looks good imagining things as you dangle a tape measure in front of your nose, there's nothing like looking at the real thing. In my case the real thing is about 6" too high. Laughing This is not a problem though. I'll make some brackets to attach to the side of the firebox, dropping the castors, and get the height I need leaving about 1-1/2" clearance under the fire box.

I was asked earlier about stability. I don't think that's going to be a problem because the firebox is pretty darn heavy. Yeah, I could tackle the tank and knock it over if I really wanted to but for all practical purposes I think it's going to be alright. When I get the castors mounted in a spread it'll be more better or as we say, "mo bettah".

So the next step is to finish the firebox door with the hinges and spring handle and then layout the opening in the tank for the cooker access door. I'll probably spend a lot of time on that because there's no room for f-ups.

That's it for now.

Last edited by Smokin Mike on Mon Apr 28 14 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
buddy'sbbq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28 14 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the looks of this cooker. Its coming out awesome. I wonder if its possible to build a bigger firebox and have two different vertical tanks that would be bad azz.
fiddlertx4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 14 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice work! this is going to be super efficient.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 14 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy'sbbq wrote:
I love the looks of this cooker. Its coming out awesome. I wonder if its possible to build a bigger firebox and have two different vertical tanks that would be bad azz.

Thank you buddy'sbbq. I suppose anything is possible but let's get this one done first and make sure she works before we go off and make twins. Laughing

fiddlertx4 wrote:
very nice work! this is going to be super efficient.

Thanks you fiddlertx4. That's what I'm hoping for but it is a lot of metal that's got to get warmed up before we throw any meat on. I believe some kind of propane warmer / weed burner might be in order but we'll tackle that later after the burn in.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking set up Exclamation
your maze looks great.
Are you going to insulate between the firebox and chamber or go for radiant heat to warm the bottom of chamber?
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
Nice looking set up Exclamation
your maze looks great.
Are you going to insulate between the firebox and chamber or go for radiant heat to warm the bottom of chamber?

Thanks Maniac! I'm not planning on any insulation. The heat stack from the firebox inserts into the bottom of the tank and I'm going to weld it in permanently. I'm pretty sure the bottom of the tank will be seeing plenty of heat. I suppose I could wrap some insulation around the exposed heat stack I reckon. I will also have a heat deflector in the bottom of the tank to keep the lower cooking grates from receiving a blast of hot air and hopefully disperse the heat to help even things out. It's all one big mad scientist experiment. Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: