FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pork butt on offset smoker?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backyard Q

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02 14 9:51 am    Post subject: Pork butt on offset smoker? Reply with quote

Alright guys just wondering how the guys with offsets handle the long smoke of a pork butt? I have been trying to get a handle on the perfect pulled pork, how ever I can't seem to get it cooked in time to eat at a normal time. I know wrapping will make process go much quicker but am wounded how guys manage to cook them all the way without foil? On Sunday I did a 8.5 lbs butt on the pit at 5:30 am at 240* and I had to foil it at like 5:45 pm because everyone wanted to chew my arm off. Is this normal?(it was done around 6:30)
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02 14 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per pound of meat cut cooked low & slow. This is not a hard & fast rule, as I've had some cuts take almost 2 hours per pound sometimes, and others take as little as 40 minutes per pound sometimes.

The two 8 lb. pork butts I cooked on my offset yesterday took about 10.5 hours, but my pit was running between 250°F and 300°F most of the cook as I was adjusting to some hot-burning lump.

You may want to check out the Hot & Fast sub-forum here if you want something speedy.

Here's a H&F example, just not on an offset (but could be done on an offset).

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64900
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02 14 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 3 minute per lb saving in time for every 25° above 250°.

So if your normal cooking time, (and it must be your timing, not anyone else's), is 1 hour 15 minutes / lb at 250 then at 300° you are gaining 6 minutes / lb at 350° you gained 12 minutes and at 375° you are down to an hour / lb.

Doesn't sound like much of a difference but your cook time with foil was 1:30 / lb, now cook at 350° and take off over 12 minutes, you are now at 1 hour 18 minutes / lb and if you had started at 5:30 am you'd have been done in 11 hours and 1 minutes, you would be eating by 5:00 pm.

Cook hotter or work out your start time at 1:30 / lb for your weight then allow the warm up time for the cooker too, that can be another 90 minutes or so!

I still work here!
crb478
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02 14 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it falls right back to its done when its done. I don't foil until it is done and then wrap in towels and cooler until time to eat if it comes off early. I believe that if your off set is sealed up tightly you will have more consistent results, as air leaks do not give true temps. That being said I usually try to get 10 - 12 lb pork butts and start early. On average I allow at least 12 hrs for the cook with a 2-3 hour fudge factor untill dinner. I cook between 225-250 in the winter and 250 - 275 in the summer, which is where the smoker seems to want to run. I have pulled butts in as little as 8 hours and had some in the same cook go for over 12. Its really up to the pig.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02 14 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with everything crb478 said.

A pork butt or shoulder is a very forgiving hunk of meat. If you're running behind schedule then you can crank up the temp a bit to get on with the show. I seriously doubt anyone will notice a difference in quality.

I tried to decipher what SoEzzy said but it was making my head hurt. Laughing
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very patient and hate getting up early. A few years ago I found a recipe on kick ass barbbq that says to smoke at 350. Butt is done in 5 hrs and I can't tell much difference. Been doing it that way since.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts and briskets on the offset were the reason I got a WSM Laughing . But seriously, just crank up the heat a bit (275-300) and you'll get done quicker. Butts don't seem to care about higher temps.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
I tried to decipher what SoEzzy said but it was making my head hurt. Laughing

OK here's the simplified version.

1) Cook it at the same temperature for the longer applicable time for your cooker, or;

2) Cook it hotter for a shorter time, (that you will base on your cooker), or;

3) Tell them it's "done when it's done", (and play another round of Chinese telephone)! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same things along the lines of what everyone else is saying. bump those temps up. to be honest, I usually foil my butts. It usually ends up getting pulled, cooled and vac sealed as I'm only cooking for 2 people. If I have 4 butts on and 1 is for serving that night, I start that one way earlier and let it ride without foil, but foil the other 3. by time the other 3 are done, rested and pulled, the 4th butt (no foil, first on the pit) is ready to come off.

I have not personally noticed a whole lot of difference between cooking at 225-250 or 275-300. either way for me is fine. If you have a deadline, do the 1.5hrs/lb math and go from there. if it finishes early, you can always hold in a cooler for a couple of hours no problem.

As always, pork butt is plenty fatty to baste itself. no need to open the lid to spray, mot, sop IMHO. just my .02

Modified ECB
UDS
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: is the 240° the gauge temp or are you using a thermometer at grate level near where the butt is cooking? You may be cooking at a much lower temp than you think.
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
CajunMarineBBK
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start my cooks at midnight the night before. I am fortunate with my cooker it holds temp for about six hours on a load of lump. So it allows me to get around five to six hours of sleep. Get up check add some lump and go back to bed for an hour or two.
AndrewT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaughtyNurse wrote:
Also: is the 240° the gauge temp or are you using a thermometer at grate level near where the butt is cooking? You may be cooking at a much lower temp than you think.

+1 on this. I used a couple of oven thermometers and an infrared thermo gun to confirm that my grates run 20-25 degrees hotter than the gauge. Best of luck
Backyard Q

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 14 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temp reading is from my bbq guru clipped to the cooking grate which has been tested in boiling water. I have not tried loading it full of charcoal because I normally burn 95% wood
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: