FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stir fry no. 50 or so on the disc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25 14 10:22 am    Post subject: stir fry no. 50 or so on the disc Reply with quote

I'm sorry. This post won't contain pictures. It's just that I feel like I've been cooking with my discada long enough now so that I'm actually kind of getting good at it, so I thought I'd post a few pointers.

First off, I prep *everything* ahead of time. I put meat in a bowl, harder longer-cooking vegetables all in one colander, and softer vegetables, tofu etc. in another colander. I have a bench by my cooking area and I lay things out. First up is the oil. Next the meat. Third the hard vegs, then the soft. Then any sauce, and finally a 4-cup measure about half full of water.

I have a big olive can (maybe 6 or 7 gallons) rectangular, metal, with a round hole on top. I keep my wok spoons and brush in there, out of the rain (seems to be always raining in Seattle, oh, well, don't have to shovel it).

I start by heating the wok for several minutes. I hold the palm of my hand a half inch or so above the center of the pan to gauge the heat. It takes awhile to heat my disc (24" dia, 1/4" thick) but once she's hot, she stays hot. Lots of heat capacity. That's why we use 'em, right?

Then the oil. Swoosh it around a bit, then the meat. For general stir frys or yakisoba (what we do most often) I am usually using chicken breast cubed about 1/2" while still half frozen, lots easier to cut that way. I keep it moving and pull it back into the bowl just a few seconds after it's all white. It keeps cooking in the bowl a little.

Then a little water, and a quick swipe with the wok brush. More oil, then veggie 1 then veggie 2 then the sauce. When it's all done I holler for help and she comes out with a huge stainless bowl and together we scoop out the food, leaving the pan empty, with food residue, still hot, still on the burner. She goes inside.

Then I shut off the gas, pick up the disc, and take it over and set it down on the edge of the concrete by the grass. Then I add about half the water, which instantly boils and flashes into steam. I scrub 'er down pretty good, flinging the dirty water into the grass with the wok brush. Then the remainder of the water. A few swipes, then I stand it up and whisk out everything else. That's all the cleaning the pan takes. The wok spoons go inside with dinner, and get washed with the dishes. The wok brush I don't wash, just put it back in the can for next time.

Hope this little diatribe helps someone.

seattlepitboss
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25 14 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same sort of thing with my wok on the disco rig. Set the meeze, cook in order of meat, hard veggies, soft veggies, sauce, remove and clean. Do this about twice a week. Stir-fry for lunch, BBQ chix or ribs for dinner (for me, family gets more variety).
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25 14 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks seattlepitboss! That's how I cleanup my disk and cast iron skillets, by deglazing. Got to be careful so that you don't flash yourself with steam. Wink
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26 14 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
Thanks seattlepitboss! That's how I cleanup my disk and cast iron skillets, by deglazing. Got to be careful so that you don't flash yourself with steam. Wink
Really good info for those in need but maybe add don't forget to wipe with oil / pam, etc before putting away...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: