FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weber Kettle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 11:04 pm    Post subject: Weber Kettle Reply with quote

I have decided to add a Weber Kettle to the cook arsenal. I am looking at the 22.5" one. I see they come in a wide variety of styles from the very basic to very fancy like with the cart and the gas igniter etc. So what would you guys suggest? I was at HD this weekend and the basic 22.5 kettle was only around $80, while the one with cart and all the bells and whistles was around $299.
UDS
Weber Performer
texanx5
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 08 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those Weber's I'd like the Ranch Kettle to add to my bbq rig for those days I need a grill. As far as which model it all depends on what you are going to do with it how often you relocate it etc... I'm one that thinks plan and simplistic is often best. I doubt you can go wrong with any of them however.

old Smokey
WSM a.k.a. Weber Smokey Mountain
Stumps Smoker (custom mobile unit with a Stretch and sw42x6 offset)
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 08 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get one get the one touch gold 22 1/2". The ash catcher basket is worth the money.
Big Tom
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 08 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what JimH says.

The "gold" model is not as readily availble at the HD or big volume discount dealers.
SmokeyBear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 08 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my kettle much more than I use my BGE.

If memory serves, the one with the cart is the Performer. I think it has a gas burner in it for lighting charcoal, but check Weber's site to be sure.
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
Weber Smokey Joe Silver
Weber Q 120
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 08 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeyBear wrote:
I use my kettle much more than I use my BGE.

If memory serves, the one with the cart is the Performer. I think it has a gas burner in it for lighting charcoal, but check Weber's site to be sure.

That is true. I own one and use it at least twice a week year-round. In addition to the propane lighter, it has two charcoal baskets that fit neatly on either side of an aluminum pan (generic that you get in quantity at Costco or the like). The storage basket underneath is handy too, as are the hinged grill grates that allow you to add more coal without removing the grill (nice when you're slow-roasting or smoking).

I bought cheaper grills several times over many years before I finally spent the coin on the Weber. Been using it for close to three years now and it'll be with me for many more.

On suggestion I would advise is that if you buy the Performer, go ahead and pop for the fitted vinyl cover to go with it. It's specially fitted for the grill and is worth the money, IMO.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 08 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
If you get one get the one touch gold 22 1/2". The ash catcher basket is worth the money.

I agree + thats the one I have.

I like it because its light weight + portable .

Mike Lawry.
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 08 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated. I plan on heading to Omaha this weekend to see who has the best deals and hopefully get a grill bought. I will post some pics. Thanks again.
UDS
Weber Performer
gpalasz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27 08 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the kettle. I bought my first silver 22.5 about 6 months ago, then bought a blue OTG 2 months after that. The ash catcher is a great bonus. I wanted the performer, but already had a kettle so space was limited. Kettle turns out the best chicken, the kettles well...simply ROCK! You will not be disappointed at all.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28 08 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 kettles and they all see usage from time to time. Keep an eye on Craigslist. The kettles are on there all the time, usually in the $50 range for the basic one-touch...

James.
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 08 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's hard to beat the ole Weber kettle.

I've given up gas grilling altogether and I am the owner of a Holland.....haven't fired it up in 3 years.

Competition:
Backwoods Party (2)
Stumps Elite 6
Weber One-Touch Gold 26.5"

Home:
Weber Kettle
Backwoods Party
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 08 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber has a pricing structure much like Bose...no discounting allowed or they jerk your authorized dealer status.

If you can find one used you might be able to get a deal, but if you're buying new, it's pretty much going to be $300 for a Performer no matter where you go.
Michael B
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06 08 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Performer model at the dump a few years ago, replaced the scraper mechanism, used it for a couple years and then gave it to someone else to use when I picked up a Patio Classic.

If you’re going to buy one, the Performer model is definitely worth the extra $$$.
superslomo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 08 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the performer, and while it's only been with us for a month or so since we moved to our new place with a backyard (finally), I love the thing.

The gas igniter is really fantastic, and while I could have certainly lived without it, it means we use the grill way more often. You can be ready to cook over lump in about ten minutes...

The reason I wanted it to begin with was the side table, coal bin (not a lot of room in our place to keep big bags of charcoal...) and ash catcher. The thermometer in the lid is a nice touch as well, but if you know what you're doing I guess you probably wouldn't need that.

You can get large propane cylinders to fit on it, but I've used the same little camping gas canister almost a dozen times now with no problems to report.

The only concern I have is how much maintenance/clean-up the gas jet will require, hopefully little as it's small and simple in design.

Any kind of weber kettle has been durable and dependable in the past for me, this one is pretty much the Cadillac of Webers Very Happy
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 01 08 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a Weber. It's so well built that when I'm done cooking I can shut all the vents and have charcoal leftover for next time.
CABREWFAN
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 02 08 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my two cents.........I've been using my basic 22 1/2 inch Weber for 12 years now.....complete with old wooden handle and everything. I still use it at least once a week. Two years ago, I bought a Ranch Kettle which is worth every last penny. I had 15 tri-tips on that baby for a Christmas party and they turned out great. A kettle is extremely versatile - I've had great results grilling and smoking/slow cooking alike. Enjoy!
superslomo

PostPosted: Wed May 07 08 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little frustrated at the moment... using a nearly new Weber Performer, and a piece of lump charcoal caught in the vent, and bent one of the bottom one-touch vent blades. Now, no more than two months in I need to get replacement parts.

I'm surprised that it took so little to bust the ventilation parts... I noticed when getting ready to do some indirect cooking that it wasn't going to be easy to keep the temp down.
CABREWFAN
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 08 08 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm surprised that it took so little to bust the ventilation parts... I noticed when getting ready to do some indirect cooking that it wasn't going to be easy to keep the temp down

Not sure what to tell you about the busted ventilation parts. That sucks.....If you still have the receipt or registered your grill on their site, Weber might send you the parts for free. As far as the temp on indirect cooking, try starting with fewer coals and adding more as necessary. I rarely cook indirect with lump charcoal because it burns hot and fast. I get better results with briquets. Good luck with getting her fixed!
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 08 08 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a vent kit from Weber for my performer last week. I agree its a bummer that your vent damper broke so easily. Replacement parts were $9.99 and I got it 3 days later.

I would call weber and explain your situation, they may even send you 1 blade for free, otherwise its only 10 bucks plus shipping for the kit. I got 3 blades the washers/wingnut assembly, the bar to move the damper, and some extra hubcaps and mics. parts that do not even go to my performer came in the kit (but they were nice to have the spare parts for my other weber's, especially the hubcaps so i don't have to use a pair of vice grips anymore.)

Last edited by r6abusa on Wed Jun 25 08 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
KenP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 08 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a Weber. It's so well built that when I'm done cooking I can shut all the vents and have charcoal leftover for next time.
X2 I've got the Performer and think it's great. Very versatile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: