FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atomic Buffalo Turds:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjash13
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15 05 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the habaneros... I have a habanero hot sauce from Belize, with a carrot base, and you can taste the fruitiness of the habaneros, just before the explosion of pain... actually, it is not Dave's Insanity sauce hot, but pretty warm....
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15 05 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
It mingles really well with the mango and banana cream cheese!

Yeah and so does the sweetness of the mango and compliment the tartness of sulphuric acid but i wont be trying that one either any time soon.
LIAR #100
RKB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16 05 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to try about any new pepper I come across, but I cannot stand habaneros, I don't mind the heat but to me they taste like s#@$ and pass that taste on to whatever they are dumped in.
I wish serranos grew bigger, with their great taste, I think they'd make awesome ABT's. Too small to mess with though (at least, around here they are, anyway).
Bill
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will be make my first batch of ABTs this weekend for the ball games...some be a lot of fun..
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some chopped Hawaiin peppers that were growing in my father-in-laws backyard.......WHOA HOT HOT HOT. They are really small, so they wouldn't work for ABT's, but I put one in with the ABT's mixture.....if you like HOT this would work to heat it up! They actually taste good, untill the heat hits Twisted Evil
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 05 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some of these last night! I went to costco to get the peppers and all they had was some sweet peppers so I bought some and then went to another store and got some Jalepenoes. They actually came out really good! I used Costcos maple bacon and the lil smokies they carry. MmmmMMmm good!
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20 05 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm i was thinking.....
how about Smoked Turkey Turds. Use up some leftover turkey if there is any this time around. What do ya think fellas ? This be a good way to use up some of the leftovers.
thunderbyte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21 05 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my first batch of ABT's yesterday. I wanted to make these as a test run for thanksgiving. Some in my family wouldnt like the heat of jalepenoes, so I used two types of peppers. I used smaller jalepenoes and also tried some anaheims which would be milder. I removed the stems and all the membranes and seeds. I filled with cream cheese and 1/2 of a little smokie split length wise. I then wrapped with a whole piece of thin bacon and ran a toothpick through.

I have a smokin tex 1400. I smoked the ABT's at 225 for 2 1/2 hours with about 2 ounces of hickory.

The bacon became crispy except on the very bottom where they layed in the small disposable foil pan. The anaheim pepper ABT's were tasty, but not spicey. The peppers were similar to those that would be cooked with stuffed green peppers.

The jalepenoes ABT's were exactly the same. No heat. I like heat in my food, but these honestly had none, which was verified by my boys. Maybe I should have left some membrane in them. I will try that next time. I will also use the whole smokie next time, not half.

The main reason for this post is that anyone that wants to make ABT's but needs to make them not spicey can. Anaheim peppers worked great with no heat, and even the jalepenoes were tasty but no heat.

Next batch will have some membrane to leave the heat in.

I also made some pig candy. That stuff ROCKS!

Len
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 05 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thunderbyte
I will try the Anaheim peppers. Some of my family dont like hot foods but love the other ingredience in the ABT`s. I`ll see if any local stores carry them. Thanks for the tip.
Hmmm "pig candy" good stuff huh. Razz Easy and messy but good.
Happy Holidays.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 05 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Thanks thunderbyte
I will try the Anaheim peppers. Some of my family dont like hot foods but love the other ingredience in the ABT`s. I`ll see if any local stores carry them. Thanks for the tip.
Hmmm "pig candy" good stuff huh. :P Easy and messy but good.
Happy Holidays.

Here ya go Jeff.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1041
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 05 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderbyte wrote:

The jalepenoes ABT's were exactly the same. No heat. I like heat in my food, but these honestly had none, which was verified by my boys. Maybe I should have left some membrane in them. I will try that next time. I will also use the whole smokie next time, not half.

Next batch will have some membrane to leave the heat in.

Len

I have found that the Jalepenoes are not spicey lately. Last season when I did ABT's they were half spicey and half very mild. This season they were all mild.....Another shopper said he had noticed the same thing. Maybe there is a conspiracy theory to help figure this out?? Twisted Evil kidding, but I agree that leaving some of the seeds and membrane in might help increase the heat.

I will have to check and see if I used Anahiem peppers, not sure but they did taste very good.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 05 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think grocers are mixing the milder TAM Jalapenos with regular Japs.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 05 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like russion roulett. You eat a couple mild ones really careful, then you stuff a hot one in you mouth and the alarm sounds. Wish I could find a vendor that had all medium. I'll try the farmers market next year. They should be more consistent.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 05 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya want some heat in the ABT try adding some cayenne pepper to the filling mixture. I find that works real good to add some heat.
LIAR #100
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 05 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with roxy. A little cayenne will put the A back in your ABTs.

Doc
RKB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02 05 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that these will freeze well, at least for a month or so. I made a batch a while back and before I could finish eating them I had to leave town on a semi-emergency so I just foil-wrapped 'em and chucked 'em into the freezer. I got them out today, thawed then reheated in a 375 deg oven - nearly as good as 'fresh from the smoke'.
Bill
tucciim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21 06 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grow your own jalenpeno's. they are super easy to grow and produce like crazy. obviously the bigger the pot the better and in ground is best. if your jalepeno plant isn't making hot enough jalepeno's go ahead nad gret a habenaro plant and put him next to it. they'll cross pollenate to the extent that your jalepeno's wil be HOOOOOOOOTTTTT.

i found out this past summer it works for bell peppers too but not nearly as hot. turns a normal bell into a bit less then a jalepeno, like an anaheim (or hatch as alien calls it).

gonna give these ABT's a try in the next week or two.
Rocky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21 06 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to some ABT's I smoked in my Big Drum Smokers. I had some filling left over, so I bought a couple dozen poblanos and made some BIG ABT's. I like to melt white mexican cheese over the poblanos or use a nice Ranchero sauce. Mmmmm. Cool

400 ABT's

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Rocky%27s+BBQ&AID=2592241

Poblano ABT's

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Rocky%27s+BBQ&AID=2740192

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22 06 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious Rocky
Do you have a BIG family? Laughing
I have been following your progress with these smokers for a while and have browzed through your pictures from conception to cook. If i might ask, what the heck do you do with all that food?
I posted this thread a while back after i stumbled upon the wonder of ABT`s (good stuff) Do you know where these thing (ABT)originated? Who started this craze? Prolly at a comp huh?
Rocky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22 06 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

I have a big GE 29.1 cubic foot chest freezer and a FoodSaver vacuum machine. 2 of the best investments I've ever made. The freezer keeps everything at 20 below zero.

What we don't eat, I freeze for a rainy day. Also have alot of hungry friends, sisters, brothers, neighbors, nephews etc. Very Happy

I don't have any idea where ABT's originated. People have been stuffing jalapenos for many, many years and frying or baking them. It was only a matter of time before they tried them in a smoker.

I am also a firm believer in the barter system. You would be surprised how often you can trade good BBQ for other goods or services. Wink

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: