FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Did Everyone Jump OFF The BBQ Bandwagon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 11:45 am    Post subject: So Did Everyone Jump OFF The BBQ Bandwagon? Reply with quote

When I first discovered this site, it was jumping with activity. Now, I see tumbleweeds in the forums and threads with cobwebs on them. Has BBQ hit it's plateau and then lost it's mystique? The catering section is a veritable ghost town now! It used to be a hotbox Shocked of excitement (both good and bad).

I first discovered this forum in 2007 when my next door neighbor moved, and abandoned his Char-Broil Silver offset - you know, the good ones before they started to make the cheaper quality ones. It was "Love at first cook", so to speak.

BBQ is still BBQ, no matter what the media hype has done to it. My excuse? The only reason I haven't posted in 2.5 years is because I didn't have access to a computer (long story).

So, if anyone can fill me in on what I've missed, or am missing, I would appreciate it. Garry and SoEzzy have put a LOT of work into this website, and it's a shame to think it was only for a passing fad.

Thanks,
Phil
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still here Chef. Very Happy
Nice to see you drop in. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. So, any insight(s) on why the board has slowed down so much?
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the "Throw-down" forum, and the last post was 8 months ago!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a lot of us older posters get in that if you have seen one Butt you have seen em all mode. The newer members do not post as many cooks as we all did back in the day for sure. Another item that has changed is the popularity of Face Book and the ease of creating pages.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The throw downs got to serious with a lot of folks carrying it into other forums. it took the fun right out of them Chef.

Hybrid Cooker
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's somewhat understandable, but you just can't get the one-to-one-ness (is that a real phrase ? Very Happy ) on Facebook that you can get here. Trust me, I'm a friggin' Facebook addict! Then again, on the other hand, if the "old time" posters are still somewhat active here, then we can at least discuss/learn some of the finer aspects of BBQ. I think we all now know that BBQ doesn't have to be at exactly 225 F. 226 is okay, too. Wink Very Happy Razz

Anyways, thanks for posting what is (or isn't) going on for me. I really appreciate it.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you back CrazyChef,

I think Life happened to many people here. I know I don't get to cook or post as much as I used to.

As far as the Catering section, Marv retired so that quieted things down. Also a few of the old guard stopped posting due to negativity and such. They still lurk, but don't post. Or at least that is my understanding.

It is also winter and I feel like that is always a slow time around here.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think since it's been so cold lately a lot of folks aren't cooking outside right now. I still cook a lot but like Kevin says how many pics of PP ya wanna see? Except for seeing a new guys first successful cook! That's always awesome to see and hear about. Maybe an ebb and flow kinda thing too.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m still here.... i just don't post too often cause frankly i just don't eat much BBQ anymore. I started doing catering and concessions and after a weekend of that it don't really excite me much any more. Rolling Eyes
I`d bet i don't eat but maybe six bones of ribs a year. Cooked so much pork butts i`m sick of it let alone eat it. Don't get me wrong i love cooking BBQ & talking BBQ to anyone who will stand still long enough to here it.
BBQ is a big part of my life but it has taken a different angle these days. Why just today i called another smokering member & we talked about.... you guessed it "BBQ" not so much as to what of it we eat but ways to improve sales, what to sell & why etc...
And well yes the "drama" got to be a bit too much on the forums and the "big bad bear" puts a cap on it right away now a days so its not fun to watch anymore. (Just Kidding Soeasy)Wink

There still here just not too active that's all.
sblanchard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... some of us here are still game. I don't post much except to ask questions and learn because I have an insane job, a wife with an insane job, and two little kids who are mostly insane... but this site is nourishment for my soul. (Here it is Friday night and my 4yrold is in the throws of gnarly nightmares- I could be texting the shrink or the Dr. but here I am...) My wife is grateful that I look at this p*rn rather than the other. I live in a place where smoke is normal, meat is crucial, and there's no such thing as a natural gas line to the house. You folks who are experts and post here and maintain the site are providing a service bigger than you may imagine. It's an affirmation of a way of life forgotten by much of our vast society... wood, heat, flavor, time. I work with 150 teenagers every day, and in the private places of their overstimulated brains they are wondering if the values expressed here still exist... fortunately, I can steer them to places like this website and say, "yep, check these guys out..."

cheers, happy Friday, and thanks for for the site. -s
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyChef Welcome back Very Happy

I check just about every day and look at my post since last visit and found about an average 30 ish posts...soezzy could give you the real time numbers. I read just about every one...info is still great. And I like when there is a good back and forth discussion on any thing...you get to see many views on the subject. Love the guys and girls that take the time to post step by step cooks,builds,success,flops,happy sad times. Makes for a better smokering family Very Happy Life does get in the way...but there is always time for family Wink
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also winter over most of the country.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I believe a lot of us older posters get in that if you have seen one Butt you have seen em all mode. The newer members do not post as many cooks as we all did back in the day for sure. Another item that has changed is the popularity of Face Book and the ease of creating pages.

Well Put, Thank You Kevin! Cool

I Second That Wink

Welcome Back, Phil...Stick Around, It Gets Real Good at Times!
Shocked Wink Laughing

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, you all have valid points. I was just wondering what happened. One point of disagreement - winter has never been a "deal breaker" for most of us. Look at Louie (is he still around?). Sometimes a troublemaker, but always entertaining. I'm back in Massachusetts and have every intention of Q'ing this winter.

As far as pics and such - yeah, there's just so many times you can post "Looks great!", or "Send some up here!", etc., until it just gets old. Not to float my own boat - and many of us have heard this - but "It's the best I've ever had!" gets to be commonplace after a while. Not that we don't appreciate the compliments, we're just used to it, that's all.

On Facebook, I'm friends with SoEzzy, BBQMAN, Roxy, Cody and a few others - as well as many other BBQ folks (both professional and "backyard" cooks).

Eating BBQ - well, I really don't eat it as much as I used to. After cooking hundreds - and in some cases thousands - of pounds of various types of BBQ, eating it just loses some of it's appeal. But I still have a passion for cooking it, experimenting with new sauces, as well as introducing people to real BBQ. On the rare occasions that I do eat it, I really do enjoy it. I went to a couple of places in Texas in November. BTW, not everyone in Texas makes great BBQ. Shocked

Anyways, thank you guys for giving me a little insight as to what I've missed.

Phil
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil c wrote:
This question & this answer seems to come up every winter. As others have said we have lost several "old timers" but if you look at the member numbers this is still a great forum with a lot of diversity.
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
phil c wrote:
This question & this answer seems to come up every winter. As others have said we have lost several "old timers" but if you look at the member numbers this is still a great forum with a lot of diversity.

Agreed! I do have a packer on the stickburner as we type, but most folks forget about cooking outside once the temp dips below 50 degrees.
A lot of folks could be like me as well, I took a break from the whole internet thing for several months just to "get my mind right"
Anyway, still great folks and great info here! I'll hang around.
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Chef. We are still queing in the south. I ain't letting no stinking cold weather keep me out of the race.I just haven't posted any pics of me doing it in a while. Or maybe i have i can't remember......lol This is a great site and one that i check daily.
I am working 12 hours a day and every Friday (until we close the plant) and trying to put together a vending/competition trailer in my spare time. The comp season is right around the corner and our jobs are supposed to be history February 14 so the clock is ticking here down south. I hope to make a living doing the cue and maybe snag a trophy or 2 on the Comp side. Good to see you again. Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still here but this winter has been absolutely brutal so far....and my old bones can't
take the cold like they used too....but were all still here.Glad to see you dropping in for a visit Chef. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11 14 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you CrazyChef. I was wondering about you last week, no s--t. I was remembering your humor and missed it.

Yea, I don't post as much as before for several of the reasons already stated. I still smoke as much as ever just don't post it. I mean how many times can you guys look at my butt! Shocked Our friend catfish (whitey) got a job that takes him away all over the globe he is not around to give us a hard time. He pops in every now and then. A number of the old timers are still here but more in a lurker mode than active participant. Hope all is well, brother.

--Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: