FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATE: Bacon in the fridge, finished W/Pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21 13 3:32 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Bacon in the fridge, finished W/Pics Reply with quote

Bought 10lbs of belly the other day. Was happy to see it came in 2 5lb pieces. Decided on Harry's maple bacon for my 1st go. Each piece of belly got 3.75 tbs of salt and home made maple sugar along with a level tsp of cure #1. Rubbed them down and into 2 gal freezer bags. Each bag then got approx 3/4 cup of real maple syrup. Put it all together the 17th and gonna smoke the 27th in the Bradley. Thinking some apple will do the trick.

My 1 ? Is how long you guys going with the cold smoke on the maple variety?

Modified ECB
UDS

Last edited by Rinngrizz on Wed Jan 01 14 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21 13 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to go 10-11 hours, with very heavy smoke.

Not black nasty putrid smoke, just a thick good smelling smoke, and for my maple bacon, I use maple wood, not really for any special flavor, just because it gives me a monster coal bed that last forever.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22 13 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry. I was hoping to do about 10hrs. I have read other posts of some smoking for 16+ and wasn't exactly looking forward to having to sit at home and do nothing all day because I was smoking bacon. Nor did I want to get up early to put it on during my only days off for the next 3-4 months. Sleep is becoming a premium this time of year.

Here's my "proof" pictures for those that require them haha

Raw belly pieces

Rubbed down and covered in syrup ready for the fridge

Modified ECB
UDS
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01 14 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Smoked it up on the 27 with 8hrs of apple. Had to cut it down from my planned 10hrs because of a holiday party but it turned out great. here are some pictures.

Smoker all set up. It got to a scorching 42 F that day so running the puck burner alone took me to and kept me at 106F in the cabinet.

Finished Piece of belly.

Another piece squared off and ready to slice. Bought a cheap slicer as a backup for my mechanical slicer. Was glad I did as the mechanical one was not big enough to accommodate a piece of belly. Gonna have to figure something out for next time on that.

Fry test.

Overall it turned out good. I learned a lot and will def make more in the future. There are some things I want to do different.

1) find meatier bellies. I used some frozen boxed bellies from a retailer here in town. I was not impressed with the yield I got out of them. I know they should be fatty, but nearly 50% of the 10lbs of belly was unusable.

2) thinking about getting a tube smoker to fill with pellets. The smoke flavor on this wasn't bad or anything, I just want a way to keep the temp way down regardless of the temp.

3) figure out a way to use my mechanical slicer. The knife worked ok. but when u are cutting that many slices, a slicer sure would be nice.

4) get slabs COLD COLD COLD before slicing. I rested them in the fridge for 2 days before slicing so they were stiff, but by time I got to the end of the slab they were starting to warm up. They cut MUCH easier when cold.

Modified ECB
UDS
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01 14 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, might have to look into smoking my own bacon. just to say i have and see how it turns out.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01 14 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyD wrote:
hmmm, might have to look into smoking my own bacon. just to say i have and see how it turns out.

That pretty much where it started for me. we don't eat a ton of bacon as the wife doesn't care for it all that much, but she gave this stuff raving reviews last night so looks like I'm making more now. Honey bacon next!

Modified ECB
UDS
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01 14 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do care about how meaty the bacon is, but if you make a mistake and buy fatty bacon, make it the way you would the bacon bacon, and then render out the bacon fat, slowly on low heat.

The rendered bacon fat can be used for lots of other cooking, and it will have great flavor.

Once the fat has rendered you get some crackling scraps, I like to share them with the kids and the dogs, they are crispy little bits of goodness.

I still work here!
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01 14 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
I do care about how meaty the bacon is, but if you make a mistake and buy fatty bacon, make it the way you would the bacon bacon, and then render out the bacon fat, slowly on low heat.

The rendered bacon fat can be used for lots of other cooking, and it will have great flavor.

Once the fat has rendered you get some crackling scraps, I like to share them with the kids and the dogs, they are crispy little bits of goodness.

exactly what I was thinking. Saved and vaccume sealed some trimmings to render out some lard.

Modified ECB
UDS
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01 14 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to share them with the kids and the dogs

LOL same bowl
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01 14 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't bother the dogs, then the kids are normally OK with it! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
laserdoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Bradley just like yours. I went ahead and got a cold smoke adaptor for it off amazon for about 75 bucks. I also have one of those amaze pellet smokers. It fit right into the box and am able to close the door. I don't attach the puck burner but instead took a piece of cardboard and duck taped it over the hole. My cabinet never heats up now. I use the same cold smoker when I'm doing cheese. It was well worth the $$$. Pellets are so much cheaper than those pucks!!!. With this adaptor I wonder if I will ever use that puck burner with the high price Bradley pucks ever again
laserdoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Bradley just like yours. I went ahead and got a cold smoke adaptor for it off amazon for about 75 bucks. I also have one of those amaze pellet smokers. It fit right into the box and am able to close the door. I don't attach the puck burner but instead took a piece of cardboard and duck taped it over the hole. My cabinet never heats up now. I use the same cold smoker when I'm doing cheese. It was well worth the $$$. Pellets are so much cheaper than those pucks!!!. With this adaptor I wonder if I will ever use that puck burner with the high price Bradley pucks ever again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: