FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CrazyD's BBQ Pit Trailer Build - ON THE ROAD!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 10:36 am    Post subject: CrazyD's BBQ Pit Trailer Build - ON THE ROAD!!!! Reply with quote

I currently have a 24x48 lonestargrillz trailer pit that i added my pitmaker safe to and now im wanting bigger. Im also wanting a better trailer and storage. Best thing to do i figure was to start fresh. So i sold the offset and am doing just that.

Its gonna be a 24x66 with an insulated firebox build like a jambo because i wanted the firebox on the trailer and not hanging off the back. Just personal preference. Gonna add my safe to the trailer and build a storage box with stainless top and a small sink at the front. Itll have a single 3500lb axle but i may up the springs before im done. We'll see how it sits and tows after im done. Bought some 2x3 rectangle tubing and got started this weekend.

Huge thanks to K.A.M. for alm the help with the many questions ive had and will have in the future haha.

Sorry about the cluttered shop and pics. I have limited work space and taking pics with my phone.

Last edited by CrazyD on Thu Apr 03 14 11:05 am; edited 3 times in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CrazyD

Welcome to the forums.

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking work on the trailer so far. Since you are using tubing, consider running a pull line inside during the build and you can run your wiring through the frame when finished. No messy hangers, no wiring to get snagged up by brush should you encounter it, clean look. JM2CW. Looking forward to seeing it finished out.
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the pic size, i uploaded them from my phone and didn't know they would be so big and have no way of checking that from my phone so i'll start uploading just from my computer.

thanks, yea i'm definitly thinking of running the wiring inside the tubing. just need to lay it all out so i know where i need to add holes. if not i'll run a piece of conduit on the inside so protect the wiring and hide it as much as possible. definitly not going to leave it just hanging or bare. my biggest want for this build is a neat and clean look.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17 13 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work CrazyD I like it. Very Happy The pics look much better than on my phone I can see them. Very Happy I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17 13 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i got the wheels cleaned up this afternoon. No pics, they are just simple chevy wheel steel wheels i have beauty rings for that i sanded down and repainted.

Hopefully ill get off work early enough tmro to get by the steel yard to get another stick of tubing.
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19 13 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I got by the steel yard and picked up another stick of 2x3 tubing to finish bracing the trailer. its all tacked together and ready for me to start welding it together solid.

one question I have though is should I add bracing between the cross bracing going in the direction of tongue to rear. the last cross brace will have bracing between it and the rear of the trailer for the firebox and my safe to mount too. but what about the rest of the trailer. I'm pretty sure with the cook chamber being mounted to each cross brace from firebox to front of trailer that should tie the whole trailer together solid but figured I'd ask anyways.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19 13 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyD, very nice work so far I like it. Very Happy In my opinion there is no need in tying the braces together forward and aft unless said brace plays a role in supporting a piece of the cookers.

Hybrid Cooker
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19 13 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cook chamber will have a piece of 2x3 tubing going from cross brace to bottom of cook chamber. Itll basically play the role of a "stud" that the cook chamber will sit one. The firebox will have tubing under all four sides.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19 13 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your build is looking good. I look forward to following the build. As k.a.m. mentioned, no need for the bracing forward to back. Using tubing, your trailer will be plenty stout on its own.
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19 13 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks! Hopefully I'll have it sitting on tires by weekends end.
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20 13 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the trailer welded up on everything but top welds. got the trailer off the table and on the ground. I got the rear level and checked the front and TADA! its level too. sweet so that means the flat and no bow or twist. also checked it for square and its square everywhere I measured. i'm pretty stoked about it seeing its my first trailer build haha. axle bolted right up with no binding or anything. so far so good. i'll finish up welding the top pieces of everything and gonna get tires on me wheels and get them on it tomorrow as well. then its on to start on the pit and firebox.

CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21 13 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! got me some new tires for the wheels today and got them on the trailer. almost time to start in on the smoker woohoo!

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21 13 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks darn fine to me. Very Happy keep it up
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27 13 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the trailer out of the garage and started on the portion where I'm adding the pitmaker safe to it. added a 2x3 tubing brace and then 2 pieces of 2x2 angle that the safe actually mounts too. I made it so the safe bolts on that way I can remove it when its time to paint everything and in the event I sell it someday the safe will stay with me. had to add some weight to the front for ballast for now until I get the storage box and sink added to balance everything out. then its on to the offset build.

TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29 13 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its coming along nicely! Look forward to seeing more progress Smile
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i got the wheels and tires mounted and on it that im going to be using. I have 9" fenders but im thinking i might have to go wider since im running a wider tire then usual trailer tires. I wanted a wider look. Hopefully ill get started on the firebox this week.
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can ya'll take a look at this and let me know what ya'll think? These are the sizes im looking at going with.

The firebox will be 2" insulated on all sides.

I was wanting to go a little longer on the exhaust stack then what it calls for but not sure how much longer i can go before it starts effecting the draft efficiency.

Link to calculator
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyD, your trailer is looking very nice. The safe looks right at home up there. Very Happy
Your numbers look like a good fit to me. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31 13 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. Thanks! I definitly like the way I mounted it on this new trailer compared to how it was mounted before.

Here are some shots of the wheels/tires i'm using with the 9" fenders. still debating on trying to find a 10" fender maybe. These are the fenders off the old trailer so thats why they are dirty. They are also just clamped in place to see how they will fit and function. I wont weld them on till pretty much last so I'm not having to work around them during the build.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: