FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ Catering Planner!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering Stickys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawyer's BBQ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy,

Thank you for such a valuable tool!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 08 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend Smoker and Sawyer's BBQ you're welcome! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20 08 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest versions 3.06.xls and 3.06CA.xls are now available, http://www.bbq-review.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10 the first for those with only one tax to worry about the second for the Canadians with GST and PST to think on.

Changes to Chicken breasts, thighs, drum sticks, wings and tenders, now calculates from Tyson sizes in their 7lb packs.
Breasts 12 in 7lb.
Thighs 16 in 7lb.
Drum Sticks 21 in 7lb.
Wings 24 in 7lb.
Chicken Tenders 13 portions, (2 tenders / portion) / 2.5 lb bag.

I still work here!
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 09 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy, I don't get it. Why does the portion size decrease as the number of meats or sides go up?

seattlepitboss
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 09 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because most folks that serve multiple meats don't serve full portions of every meat as guests just can't eat it all, so the more meats you add, the less you cook in total, but you'll find your clients and guests are still happy with what you turn up with.

The same happens on the sides too!

If you want to serve a particular weight / portion, and multiple meats, just enter 1 into the number of meats, then all the figures are set to straight portion control, without using the algorithm that reduces the amounts!

I still work here!
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 09 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK., I get it .. you've got some algorithm that reduces portion sizes as you increase the number of portions. I'd like to suggest that the output weight of sides or meats in ounces be rounded to the nearest integer, which is easily done with the Excel function ROUND(<expression>,0).

Another question, this a lot less analytical. If I wanted to figure pulled chuck roll would the figures from shoulder clod be approximately correct? I'm talking chuck roll smoked to 165 then foiled and cooked to 195, then rested and pulled.

seattlepitboss
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 09 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss wrote:
OK., I get it .. you've got some algorithm that reduces portion sizes as you increase the number of portions. I'd like to suggest that the output weight of sides or meats in ounces be rounded to the nearest integer, which is easily done with the Excel function ROUND(<expression>,0).

If I worked with ROUND there would be no difference between 2.51 Oz and 3.49 Oz, then you end up with more confusion not less IMO!

seattlepitboss wrote:
Another question, this a lot less analytical. If I wanted to figure pulled chuck roll would the figures from shoulder clod be approximately correct? I'm talking chuck roll smoked to 165 then foiled and cooked to 195, then rested and pulled.

seattlepitboss

I'd say you'll be within 5%, but you're better off taking the figures from an experimental cook as your pit and technique may produce different results than mine, you can adjust the yields in Gray, so that it fits your methods.

e.g. Pulled pork I know some folks get 45% as they clean everything out, and others that end up with 60%, I get 55% on average, and that's why it was used an my input figure, but if it doesn't work for you as it's low or high, you can change it.

Then when you use the planner the next time all your figures will come out correct for you.

I have a copy on my computer that I keep up to date with the latest prices I pay for items, so I can offer as close to reality as I can if asked about a price.

I still work here!
maya2blue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 09 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and many thanks!

I have just today found the catering planner V306 and love it!

A couple of questions....

Is v306 the latest version? If there is a new version, where would I find it?
Instructions?? If there are some instructions where would I go to get them?

Many many thanks for a very useful tool!

Harve Thorn
Fayetteville, AR
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 09 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Harve!

v3.06 is the most current or v3.06CA if you are in Canada and need the twin tax system.

The instructions are on the top of the planner, if you want more detail, read through this thread from the beginning, or post the questions here, PM or email me, I'll answer as soon as I can!

I still work here!
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy,

what would/should I use to figure Tri-Tip?? I am using the most current version and I just don't see it on here.

Thanks!
BBQ_Bachelor
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29 09 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awesome sheet. Great for a newbie like me!!

Thanks SoEzzy
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29 09 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

I still work here!
Gunner69
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26 10 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy,

Just D/L 3.06 and all I can say is... KICK ASS (can I use that word?) ... This thing is going to be a Godsend.. The wife and I were trying to figure out a 80 person wedding just the other night and we weren't even close.. I plugged the apporopriate cost numbers in based on my last cook and shazzam instant cost analysis...

My only suggestion would be is there a way that you can put a generic field in the Sauces category so that I could input the cost of making my own sauce in there as well?
DEDSR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10 10 1:32 am    Post subject: program. Reply with quote

SoEzzy,
Thank you so much for the program. I am starting another catering business, this time BBQ and was going to do something similar and then I found this. Thanks again
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10 10 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner69 wrote:
My only suggestion would be is there a way that you can put a generic field in the Sauces category so that I could input the cost of making my own sauce in there as well?

As the planner is based on Sam's Club and Costco prices, I'll be happy to add your sauce line... as soon as your sauce is available in my local stores! Wink Laughing Wink

DEDSR wrote:
SoEzzy,
Thank you so much for the program. I am starting another catering business, this time BBQ and was going to do something similar and then I found this. Thanks again

You're welcome, I hope you find it useful starting out as some others have done, it also allows you to change yields and profits to fit in with your own needs or techniques, ask questions if you need to here or in PM's or emails. Wink

I still work here!
subcooling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to make sure I understand this before I make a huge mistake. I entered my info into the spreadsheet to see if I have bought enough meat for my event (church event, not a paid gig) I am expecting about 70 people and will be cooking brisket, boston butts, ribs and chicken. The spreadsheet estimated the following uncooked weights:
pork butt - 29lbs
brisket - 25lbs
chicken - 18 whole birds
ribs - 35 racks

That can't be right......can it? It says cooked weight would be about 76.37lbs for the pork, brisket and chicken not counting the ribs. I think I am using or interpreting the data incorrectly.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enter the number of meats or did you leave the meat at 1?

Sounds to me like you left meat numbers at 1.

I'm sending this from my phone and that makes things slow, I don't have the spread sheet with me, I'll be in front of a normal computer in about an hour or a little over.

I still work here!
subcooling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set the # people at 70, # of meats at 4, and left the servings per lb at 3.

I left the "yield" at the default settings; 50% for boston butt, 60% for brisket, 80% for ribs and 75% for chicken.

Maybe I am seeing it right and I'm shocked at how much more I might need. Gawd I hope not. Still though over a pound per person seams high.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subcooling wrote:
I set the # people at 70, # of meats at 4, and left the servings per lb at 3.

I left the "yield" at the default settings; 50% for boston butt, 60% for brisket, 80% for ribs and 75% for chicken.

Maybe I am seeing it right and I'm shocked at how much more I might need. Gawd I hope not. Still though over a pound per person seams high.

What you have to remember is that you were actually asking for 3 servings per lb that would be 4 x 5.33 or 21+ Oz, and the sliding algorithm has 13.31 Oz per plate which is less than the 16 Oz for the lb or 3.33 Oz per portion of each meat on the plate.

Pulled pork = 29.12 lb uncooked = 14.56 lb cooked.
Brisket = 24.27 = 14.56 lb cooked.
Chicken 1/4rd = 18 but if you 8 cut them only 9.
Ribs if 1/2 rack is 35, but if you go to line 25 and input 2 or 3 bones you'll get 12 or 18 racks. much more reasonable for 70 guests.

Hope that helps?

If you don't want to do that many meats, or you don't want to start with portions that large, if you go with 4 servings per lb and 4 meats you'll actually be serving 2.71 Oz of each meat per portion and only putting 10.86 Oz on each plate.

I still work here!
subcooling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06 10 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got'cha now. I reset my inputs for 4 meats, @ 4 servings per pound which I think will work for my crowd of kids and adults. actually I think that 4 meats X 1/4 lb per meat, per peson is a pretty generious portion for just about any crowd. Thanks for the help, but it does mean that I need a little more chicken and another pork butt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering Stickys All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: