FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote Thermometer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick's Kitchen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08 13 10:01 am    Post subject: Remote Thermometer Reply with quote

Hello all,
Long time, first time, looking forward to member status, at the moment I am asking for advice on which remote thermometer has provided you with dependable service.
I see many Maverick, and of course Taylor, does it matter? I have been using a Taylor in years past but not remote.
Thoughts?
BTW Thanks for all the hours of entertainment over the years.
Peace,
Patrick
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08 13 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that's the question.
Maverick has poor range and ain't very durable.
EAT BACON
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08 13 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a great track record with my Maverick ET-732. This model also has great range, and user-configurable alarms for high meat temp., high pit temp, and low pit temp.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718

I don't recommend closing the lid of any smoker, especially smokers with 0.25 inch or greater wall thickness, on any brand's temperature probe leads. Some folks have had problems with this.

I have no experience with Taylor remote thermometers for smokers.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08 13 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not that big of a apple supporter but, my girlfriend gave me a IGrill last year for christmass. It has a 200 ft bluetooth range i have not taken a tape mesure to find out how far it is good for but it has no problem reaching in the house. It has alarms that you can set a range on i have it set to my smoker and goes off at 225 for a low and goes off if it gets over 275. The second probe i will set to the temp that i am looking for on the meat that i am cooking. It also has timers that can be set up to run also. So say you are cooking ribs and want to do the 321 it will go off at each time. One of the features that i really like is that it will graf the temps for you so if you want to see your temp swings and how your meat is heating up you can. You can run if off any android phone or iphone or i pad that has blue tooth
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08 13 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron 99 wrote:
I have had a great track record with my Maverick ET-732. This model also has great range, and user-configurable alarms for high meat temp., high pit temp, and low pit temp.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm

That's a newer model than the one I have. Mine will reach inside the pouch, about 20 ft from the smoker.
EAT BACON
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09 13 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Maverick ET 73 and an iGrill, I like the Maverick better. It has a dedicated remote instead of switching between apps on my phone.
The biggest thing is, probes are NOT waterproof. Take care of your probes.
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09 13 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two ET-73's I prefer them over the new 732 model. my reception is at least 90' from back of property to inside my home. The new IGrills and the like are blue tooth once you lose reception you have to reconnect. The reception is terrible, my son-in-law has one and it sits in the box and the mavericks get used.
My oldest Et-73 is going on six years now, I have only replaced the probes once in that time for that unit.

Hybrid Cooker
Patrick's Kitchen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16 13 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Thank you for taking the time to post your thorough and insightful comments. I really appreciate it. As a restaurant owner for 6+ years, I know the nuances matter.
App on phone...very cool, gotta love the Bluetooth, but there is that connectivity thing...I am gonna buy the old school wired, heck, maybe someone will get me one for Christmas being as I am so hard to buy anything for. ("stop giving me crap for Christmas").
As far as shutting the lid on the lead (say that five times fast), what about running it out the smokestack?
The graphing feature on the Igrill is something I would really love since I need to leave the beast unattended for longer than we all like. Seems like a luxury that I will do without for now....732 here I come...thanks for the link.
As an aside, if someone works for a company they are endorsing, do they have to disclose that?
I will get around to some sort of witty photo and quote I am sure...in the meantime, for the record, I cooked on a brinkmann offset for the last, gosh, 15 years at least by stuffing foil and using muffler tape, and all sorts of weird wood/charcoal arrangements in pans and cans ....still no burnout, it sits in the weather and looks like s***...eventually I bought a propane assist from afterburner, and darned if it didn't improve the quality of my life.(no, I don't work for them). I can tell you more about it if anyone is interested.
I cook about 80# of butts a week regardless of weather, we live in central Indiana...and at times 160# a week. My lovely and charming wife conspired with me to buy me a Tejas 2442 and I am learning to cook with all wood...
With hindsight it is not as "hands-off" as I was hoping...the firebox is a 25"x25" with a propane starter (la-te-da), and I am trying to do all wood so the minion method is tough. If you load it up with wood and choke it down, it eventually gets too hot. Yep! Already blistered some paint on the firebox...couldn't believe it!
Again, thank you very much for being the core of the group who is having fun helping each other. Peace, Patrick
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17 13 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked for any instrumentation or controls company, but I have fairly in-depth industrial experience using such. Maverick was not a brand I ever used professionally.

You may want to order long lead probes for your remote therm if you're routing the leads through the exhaust on your pit. Then you can keep the transmitter away from the heat as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET732-Replacement-Chamber-Probe/dp/B006XLWL7K
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19 13 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you buy, don't ever use a therm with probe wires on a grill. Always use them on a smoker. The heat on a grill is much hotter than a smoker and it damages the cables. It takes several uses on a grill to make the probe die but die it will. I don't think it matters what brand you buy as far as the cables go. Maverick has some high temperature probes that are better but I still wouldn't use them on a grill. I have a Maverick ET-73 that I have used for years and went through quite a few probes before I finally stopped using them on a grill. I use a Thermapen on my grill now.

George
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20 13 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, you mentioned you like to see the graph for unattended cooks? Have you looked at Stoker? It's a lot more cost and techno geek than the Maverick but it has lots of great features. Using a free program on the internet (StokerLog), I can graph the pit temp and as many meat temps as I have probes for -- the temp probes are proprietary so you can't just buy any probe to work. I use a wireless router out by the smoker to connect the Stoker box to and I pick up that signal on my laptop in the house to graph out the entire cook. It's cool to actually see the stall on a brisket or how the temp will start to climb faster after wrapping.

Just thought I'd toss my $.02 in...

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
SigSauerNY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01 13 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the wifi bbq guru model
Bark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13 13 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a Thermoworks product. They have several to choose from. They are extremely durable, accurate, and well made. Certainly worth the money. If you sign up for their email specials, you can find great deals.

A buddy of mine just got a Guru. The cooks on it are great. I am intrigued.

Hook 'em Horns

Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20 13 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Maverick and although I can usually make it work it's a real POS. Worst feature by far is the abysmal off/on switch. Utter crap. Then the damn thing makes noise! Also, every time you use it you have to set a temperature just to keep some stupid alarm from going off. I would way rather buy a simple robust remote thermometer which would have ONE FUNCTION: display the temperature. I want ZERO other features.

metalmagpie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: