FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot chocolate for a large crowd.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21 13 9:03 am    Post subject: Hot chocolate for a large crowd. Reply with quote

We are having a party next weekend for between 50-75 people. My wife is wanting to have hot chocolate on hand due to the temps in my area. I am trying to come up with a good idea to make that much and keep it hot. I have had a few people say to use the 5 gallon round "gatorade" type coolers. Others have said use crock pots. I have also thought about one of the large stainless steel coffee makers like restaurants use. I have read that if we are going to use milk we need to keep it above 141 degrees. I don't drink hot chocolate so I am not sure if there is a huge difference between using milk or hot water. There crowd is going to be 50/50 adults and kids so I am not sure the quality will be the most important issue.
Open to suggestions.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21 13 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought would be the big coffee maker. Should hold temps good. Or another idea would be to use an instant mix (like Swiss Miss), just add hot water and whipped cream (from the spray can). That's what we'll do at deer camp occasionally.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21 13 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would scale up the recipe on the side of the Hershey's Cocoa Powder container -- making it in a large stockpot -- and then transfer to a preheated Crockpot to keep it hot for serving.

But I am kinda a purist on hot chocolate tasting like, you know, chocolate rather than just being brown water. Wink
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife agrees with you. She uses Cocoa powder, rather than pre-made hot chocolate mix.

She did a taste test of a bunch of cocoa. I'll ask her which ones she likes best tonight.

I think Droste may be her favorite. Dutch processed. Ghirardelli cocoa is good, too.

I just bought this for her to try. She hasn't tried it yet.

http://sacofoods.com/products/view/premium-cocoa
masoncat1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few coffee pots pumping out nothing but hot water, and a few boxes of hot cocoa mix, with some cups, and spoons is the way I'd go.

Fast.
Easy.
Cheap.
Sufficient.
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant get my inlaws to drink real hot chocolate. Ive tried it enough times to throw my hat in and just give them what they have all grown up on, that brown water as feldon said. I always add extra mix and a dash or two of whipping cream (liquid) to make it rich and creamy. a few shakers of cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg and whipping cream on the side and you can call it "gourmet"

You could always have the packaged stuff premade to the side and make one or two batches of the real stuff with baileys added or off to the side as well for the adults. Baileys and real hot chocolate, Mmm.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my in-laws. They make fun of us because we buy real maple syrup. Rolling Eyes

My wife is currently using Guittiard cocoa. It's o.k.

We've been looking for Callebaut.

http://www.callebaut.com/usen/products/cocoa-products

I just e-mailed my wife to ask again which cocoas she likes best. I know I asked her last night, and she told me. But, heck, we've been married 23 years. Trouble remembering what she says. Very Happy
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just replied to "which cocoas do you like best?"

Droste, Rademacher, Ghiradelli.

Rademacher was the one I couldn't think of this morning.

Smokergreg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rademacher i have seen before. I had almost completly forgotten there was other cocoa's than the fry's (sp?) yellow cardboard tin till this thread. Silly Canada has nothing for selection, getting a brisket is nearly impossible.

As for the callebaut link, i seen they have cocoa butter. I watched a show on how chocolate changed the world and if i remember right the first chocolate beverages made by the natives used cocoa butter. So it could be interesting to use some of that if you can get it and it will make a interesting topic to talk about.

Ive only made it a few times with hot chocolate but adding cayenne pepper gives it a nice addicting hotness when done right(they also did this back in the day). Great for a cold day but i wouldnt serve it for a crowd unless there was a ton of options.

Ps. next time you make chocolate pudding use coconut milk (can) isntead of milk and add a few dashes of cayenne till it leaves a subtle burn on the back of the tounge. youll be licking the bowl by the end.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife uses a Cocoa latte machine most weekday mornings. Rather, I get up and set it up and turn it on while she is getting ready for work so she can just pour a hot chocolate on the way out the door at 6 AM.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Latte-Drink-CM300BK-Basics/dp/B00DSUPZQS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382457285&sr=8-3&keywords=cocoa+latte+drink+maker

The one we are currently using is old and makes quite a lot of noise. won't replace it until it finally quits. She has two more in the basement. One that we bought at the same time as the one she is using. Found another barely used one for free at a yard sale in by parents neighborhood.

Looks like Cocoa latte might not be made any more, but there are equivalent machines.

http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Electrics-HCM700-Series-Chocolate/dp/B008OH4U3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382457331&sr=8-1&keywords=cocoa+latte
masoncat1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24 13 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just set a Keurig out there with a huge variety of cups. They have countless flavors/strengths/brands of coffee, hot cocoa, and a bunch of other drinks as well.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28 13 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was the big party and all went well. I ended up going the cheap route since a majority of the crowd was kids/teenagers. I was at Wal Mart looking through all the different mixes. I was looking at the labels trying to see if any of them had bulk directions. Wal Mart brand (Great Value) had a large container the mixed perfectly with one gallon of milk. I grabbed 3 of those and 3 gallons of milk. I heated the milk on the stove, one gallon at a time and then mixed in the cocoa. Once mixed I dumped it into an electric roaster and kept it hot that way. The crowd drank about 2 gallons and I didn't hear any complaints. It worked out pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: