FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what it the best welding equipment to use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10 13 4:02 am    Post subject: what it the best welding equipment to use Reply with quote

I want to build my first BBQ pit out of an used propane tank (250 gal). What type of welder should I use and are there plans out that give sizes for doors, stack, trailer, etc. Any other info will be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Stormin
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10 13 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plans out there if you want to pay for someone else's idea of how to make a smoker.

Depending on whether you want an Offset, Reverse Flow or a Hybrid, you will have different configurations of rf plate, tuning plates, or a combination of the two.

Then you have left hand end or right hand end firebox, and doors on the end or on the side, warming box above the fire box or on the other end?

Lift up or barn door openings on the cooking chamber.

Look through the builds in the cooker section, run the Math on the Pit Calculator, pick out the bits you like and want to incorporate in your build and ask questions.

You've come to the right place! Wink

I still work here!
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10 13 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: what it the best welding equipment to use Reply with quote

stormin wrote:
I want to build my first BBQ pit out of an used propane tank (250 gal). What type of welder should I use
Stormin

Stormin, there are many welders and many different methods of welding; if this is your first time welding anything and if this is the only thing you're going to be welding, it might be better to look at a smaller machine, like a 110V wire feeder. Get one that has the gas attachment already installed. These will run around $500. I am partial to Miller and Hobart (Miller offshoot), but the Lincoln is a good machine too. I have seen the Harbor Freight welders, never used one, but for the low amount of $$ you would spend on the name brand machines to me is low enough to not bother with the HF stuff.

I have a Hobart Handler 140, and it'll do everything I need to do around the house. I use C25 gas, which is 25% carbon and 75% Argon, the optimal choice for welding solid core wire.

Hope this helps.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11 13 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormin, there really is no need to waste money on plans when you have an entire library of knowledge right here. Wink
As far as welders go for a build your size I would say a 140 at the least I would prefer a 180 though. On heavier metals you will need to do multiple passes with the 140 and may even tax the duty cycle a time or two. I also do not recommend trying to put a trailer together with a 140 unless you are qualified to do so.
On a side note I weld stick only but for a beginner wire feeds are much easier to handle.

Hybrid Cooker
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11 13 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with k.a.m. on his points. If you are going to go wire feed, with a 250 gallon size cooker, you will most definitely want at least a 180 machine, or higher.

I purchased a Lincoln 180 (220V machine) and I taxed the duty cycle more that once on my build, but at least you can make most welds in a single pass. I think you would not be happy with a little 110 machine on a build that big and thick.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
DUMMY QUE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12 13 3:09 pm    Post subject: LICOLN LICOLN LICOLN Reply with quote

a 140 amp. lincoln wire feeder will work just fine for your needs i have used them in a constuction seting (IRONWORK) they worked just fine mine has gas attachments i would sugest .035 wire dia. whith 211 wire licoln has very good manuals a little practise you will be in good shape
Blazer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18 13 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use C25 gas, which is 25% carbon and 75% Argon, the optimal choice for welding solid core wire.

I respectfully disagree, 95,5 or 98,2 welds much better ,hotter with no cold lap. And if I were welding with a 110 machine I would want all the heat I could get. Very Happy
mopar440_6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20 13 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Millermatic 210 MIG and a Miller AEAD-200LE engine driven stick welder. The MIG is fast and easy but if I'm doing any real heavy work, I fire up the stick welder. As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of Miller equipment but I can't say anything bad about Lincoln, Hobart or ESAB (HF is another story entirely). Here are my thoughts on your situation:

-If you have access to 220V power, get a 220V welder. You will be much happier in the long run. It sounds like your build is going to be pretty heavy duty and I don't think a 110V welder is going to keep up so you will likely end up very frustrated.

-If you get a wire-feed welder make sure it is already equipped to run shielding gas and I would suggest at least a 180 sized machine, if not a 200-210 size machine. A good quality MIG will be the easiest to learn and the most versatile option.

-Though the learning curve will be a bit longer, a good old 220V buzzbox (Miller Thunderbolt or Lincoln "tombstone) stick welder can be had very inexpensively. A stick welder will likely be able to weld much thicker material than a comparable wire feed. Make sure it will do both AC and DC welding.

-Inverter welders, though expensive, use tons less electricity and are usually much, much smaller and more portable than their transformer based counterparts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: