FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wife's Bday Smokefest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charcoal Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08 13 6:16 pm    Post subject: Wife's Bday Smokefest Reply with quote

Come home Friday afternoon to momma saying"I'm throwing myself a party on Sunday". As usual she's way ahead of me. Fast forward to 5:30 this morning and 9 lbs pork butt is rubbed and smoking for pulled pork sammies. Add two beer can chic's and baked potatoes cooked in coals and grilled veggies. little does she know it's my first time smoking a butt. It's sitting at about 200-225 and gonna cook for 10-12 hrs. If there is something I'm not doing right or any tips feel free to toss them at me
Charcoal Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08 13 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5 1/2 hrs in and sitting at 146 and getting a nice crisp to it. I read on here some spray with apple juice once and hour which I think I'm gonna try. Should smoke be coming out at a good pace all the time ? I added more chips about hour ago and not pouring out like it did earlier this AM.
tcoop4899

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08 13 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By now consedering how long it has been on it doesnt matter how much smoke is coming out the butt has absorbed all the smoke it will take. It should be getting close to the "stall stage" now. That meaning it is going to get somewhere between 140 to 160 and the temp is just gonna set there. Dont worry it will take off again. If you start to run short on time you may want to run your cooker up around the 250-275 range to get it thru the stall and finish cooking. Butts are very forgiving with the higher heat. Take the butt up to bout 195 or the bone pulls out clean. Which ever comes first. Good luck and be patient.

low and slow the only way to go
AndrewT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09 13 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically the smoke should never be "pouring out"; just a wisp of thin blue smoke is the holy grail for best flavor without bitterness. Also, even the smoke ring will not develop any more above 160 degrees or so, the smokiness of the meat will definitely continue to increase. Best of luck!
Charcoal Guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09 13 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nailed it Very Happy Everyone raved about it and especially my wife. Hit 192 and wrapped it in foil,a towel and into the cooler for an hour. Will post pics tomorrow for all to see. Off to bed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: