FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Little Trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grillbillybbq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14 13 4:01 am    Post subject: My Little Trailer Reply with quote

I have been doing the low and slow thing for a long time now and just recently decided to buy a trailer and start doing competitions. My wife decided that the trailer was too expensive to be just a toy for competitions so we decided to finish it and get it H.D. approved and try farmers markets and vending. I built the trailer from just a shell with nothing in it, now it has four sinks with running hot and cold water and everything needed to be H.D. approved.

Anyway I'm needing some unique recipes to serve using pulled pork. I'm in the Canadian prairies where this BBQ thing is just starting to catch on so the traditional recipes are very new to this area and may or may not be well received. I serve pulled pork without a finishing sauce just the smoke and rub then let the customer finish it with Apple Butter sauce or a BBQ sauce. I have tried introducing the Carolina style sauces and some like it and some don't, so I have a sauce bar every other market for people to try. For this reason I do not finish the pulled pork with a sauce, I do have a coleslaw on the side which when I tell the customer, normally the sandwich is served with it on top of the pork, they comment "WHAT ARE YOU NUTS!". Then they try it, now I have return customers who eat nearby the trailer and tell everyone "It's not a true pulled pork sandwich until you put the coleslaw on top! That's how they do it in the South!" Smile so there learning. Anyway any pulled pork recipes you would like to spread to Canada will be appreciated.

I also have attached a picture of our trailer at our first market. I will put more pictures on the photo bucket as soon as I find time. Enjoy

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y449/grillbillybbq/IMG_0856_zpsaeb0df40.jpg
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14 13 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lookin rig!
I personally do the same with pork - just smoke it with your rub, let people decide if it even needs sauce!
I put out my original cola based red sauce, a sweet, a tangy, a hot, a stupid hot, a mustard, a mango mustard, a vinegar, jalapeno ketchup, ketchup, mustard and pickle relish..... far too many choices actually, but now everyone has their favorite!
We do what I call a "Redneck Taco"..meat, beans, slaw, nacho cheese, onions and japs on a 10" tort, we also do a jumbo hotdog wrapped in bacon on a custom hoagie, with the same stuff on it [ including some pulled pork] for a couple bucks more...
BTW, store your clamshells upside down to keep bugs and dust out etc....will make your inspector happy!
Wish you well on the Canadian Prairie!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21 13 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rig, In our experience, keep it real and they will come.
spiff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21 13 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rig. I personally don't care for the coleslaw on a pulled pork sandwich either. Probably makes me weird. Smile Keep those sauces on the side and let the meat do the talking for you. Try experimenting with different rubs. I go between a sweet rub and a spicy rub all the time for my pulled pork and ribs. Another thing I like to do is make some pulled pork with a spicy rub and mix it with your standard baked mac and cheese.

Man, I'm getting hungry... Smile
Saving my pennies for a Diamond Plate Pit
BullDogBarbq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26 13 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just started doing that with are pulled at some of are big events, and has gone over great Laughing Laughing
grillbillybbq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 15 3:18 am    Post subject: Some pictures of our vending! Reply with quote

Have been busy this year vending small venues and catering parties so have been neglecting these posts a little bit. This is just a part time business for me and my family to help ease the costs of competitions but this year we had an interesting couple of events. We were asked to bring our trailer and food to feed people during Dog River Days, now many of you would not be aware of this event as its very local. But some may have heard of a TV show call "Corner Gas" with Brent Butt (ya I know, it is his real name!) it's a Canadian made show and very popular here. Anyway this year they made a feature length movie "Corner Gas The Movie" and they held a festival (Dog River Days) to shoot the ending credits using local people in the crowd. GrillBilly was invited as I said, and we went all out I created a special menu just for this event. The menu is in the pictures and I added some "movie lines" to a few items as if the characters may or may not have said them haha in the movie. Brent Butt the writer and star of Corner Gas heard of this menu and at the end of the day came to our trailer to see it and autograph it for us along with Fred Ewanuick. It was a big day for GrillBilly BBQ and one my family will never forget, check out the few pictures I have and thanks for reading Happy Q'ing everyone!

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/grillbillybbq/library/Vending%20Trailer
Bubba's BBQ Shack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 15 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do nt sauce and put coleslaw on the side as well. Serve good Q and they will come
Prairie Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 15 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That menu is fantastic, nice job!
JR Enterprises 23-60 pit
Traeger 200, Lil Tex, Memphis Pro, Yoder YS640
WSMs, UDS
FEC-100 x2, Primo oval XL
Weber 22" kettle & smokey joe
grillbillybbq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 15 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob! I learn from the best, thanks for all the tips and advice over the years!
macattack756

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12 15 8:50 am    Post subject: pp ideas Reply with quote

Try redneck sundaes. Clear solo type cup with pp,beans, and slaw on top.put a dusting of rub and drizzle bbq sauce on top of the slaw. People love those! Also pp nachos. chips,cheese,pp and peppers if they want, a huge seller!
Reignman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19 15 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so awesome that you got Brent Butt to sign the menu...now all you need is Red Green! Smile As a fellow Canuck, its great to see Q being enjoyed up here.

Just curious about your setup, do you smoke everything offsite and then serve at the location you are at? What size is your trailer?

I'm looking to get into vending this year here in rural Ontario and am trying to figure out if I should go the trailer route or have some kind of roadside shack. So any insights you have would be appreciated.

Cheers.
grillbillybbq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Reignman it was pretty cool to get the autographs, a once in a life time thing I'm thinking.

As for my little set up I do a combination of both on site cooking and offsite, it all depends on the event. The one day deals I always so off site but time it so that it is in the trailer and hot held until we arrive. This way I ensure that the food is as fresh as possible, then we pull the pork on site and place in a steam table warmer to serve. I found that pulling the pork on site also adds to the experience for customers as they watch us grab the bone and just shake the meat off into the pan. You hear comments like "Wow did you see that!! it's so tender it falls off the bone!!!"

Also when we cook off site I bring a small WSM mini along and fire it up just for the smell to add to the fun. I also use a Pellet grill for cooking the pulled pork hot dogs on site which also helps "bring em in".

I have a small 12' trailer that I finished myself, it started as only a shell and I filled it with what I thought I would need as well as what the Health Department required. It is on the side of just big enough for vending if you cook off site, I use it for competitions as well, but I found that if I cook and vend on site I almost have to have the meat ready to go on the smoker. It is not big enough to do on site meat prep unless the event starts later and I can arrive early in the day to do on site prep. So if I ever plan on doing onsite cooks on a bigger scale then I would definitely want a bigger trailer. But this trailer is perfect size for what I'm using it for and I can lower the tailgate and add another 9' in length as a cooking deck which I have made a roof for as well.
Reignman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25 15 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir and I wish you nothing but success this year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: