FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masterbuilt electric as a holding cabinet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11 13 3:38 am    Post subject: Masterbuilt electric as a holding cabinet Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a 40 in masterbuilt electric "smoker" for use as a holding/proofing cabinet.I have a couple of Cambros but they have their limitations. I'm pretty sure the inside dimensions will allow me to use chafing pans inside. and I like being able to set the temp.
Has anyone used one of these for that purpose? Goods, Bads?
Don Baer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12 13 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
I know a coupla guys using em for their primary smoker and the only complaint they had was the temp control was tough to get a handle on. Kinda hit and miss. That said one of em came up with a slick design for a PID and that seems to have solved the problem. Let me know if you want info on the PID.
Don Baer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12 13 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected they did not have the 40 they has the cheaper version. I see that the 40 has a built in controller.
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12 13 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine worked great till it got stolen.
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13 13 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2nd generation of the 40's -- the 1st generation had the control display on the top towards the back. It gets in the way when you want to set a rack on top of the smoker. The 2nd generation has the control display towards the front and it is recessed down -- so it won't block the top to set a rack there.

But I had issues with mine when I first got it last December. After contacting Masterbuilt, I later found out they had a production hold as they worked out some production issues -- the insulation they sprayed into the frame was shrinking back and exposing the wiring, causing the controls to stop working (this was the issue I had). After a couple of months, I finally got notifed from Masterbuilt they were shipping me another unit (minus the door and the inside racks -- I was supposed to transfer these things from my first unit). I had to cut the power cord and one of the data plates off the back and send back to Masterbuilt when I started the warranty replacement process. The new unit arrived but it had an issue with the leveling screw - it would not come out in order to put the side piece on. I had to cut the power cord and data plate off this unit and just send a pic in showing that I had done that. They finally shipped out another complete unit. I've done 3-4 cooks on it and so far I have not had any issues. My dad, brother and friend all have the 1st generation of the 40 and they have had no problems at all. I would not recommend the 30 as it is way too small. I'm able to fit a whole disposable pan in the 40 if I bend the ends up in order to fit -- otherwise it is just a tad too narrow.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: