FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24x40 Offset Build (First Cook Pics)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 2:34 am    Post subject: 24x40 Offset Build (First Cook Pics) Reply with quote

Hey all,

Well, I've been lurking here for a few weeks now - taking notes, reading A LOT of threads/discussions on techniques, designs, common gotchas, etc. I've learned a tremendous amount from this community so a BIG thanks in advance. Lots of knowledge floating around this forum.

A little bit about myself – I got my first smoker about 8 years ago. It was a Smokey Hollow propane burner like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Smoke-Hollow-30-in-Vertical-Propane-Gas-Smoker-30164G/203223806
It served its purpose in that I learned a little bit about smoking and managed to get some tasty ribs, pork butts, chickens and turkeys out of it. Earlier this spring, the paper-thin sheet metal finally rusted through and I decided it was time to upgrade, in a big way. Smile I support my habits as an IT Director for a professional services firm, but I grew up working in my father’s welding and fabrication shop. He had me welding beads on scrap plate when I was 5 yrs old. I started talking with my dad about my new project and the first order of business was scoring a nice piece of pipe for the CC. We found a piece of pipe 24” OD with a 3/8” wall. It was a drop from a water drain my dad made for a lake years ago. It’s just been laying in his pasture waiting to be turned into something useful.

A little rust and paint. Nothing a little sand blasting won’t take care of…

Nothing on the inside except a little rust

The pipe will be cut and headed to be sand blasted this week and my steel order should be delivered later today.

The following pics are my drawings made using Google’s Sketchup (awesome tool and FREE!).

Building an insulated FB out of 1/4” plate. Insulating with 1” mineral wool purchased from McMaster Carr. Main reason for insulating is for safety. I’ve got two little boys running around. If they happen to come into contact with the FB, they’ll probably get burned, but least this way, they shouldn’t leave any skin behind.

Rotating damper and steering handle on the bottom of the chimney:

Adding a propane assist log starter to the back of the firebox about 1.5” above the wood grate. Also, I'm creating a small inset (maybe 1/4") to seal the FB door by adding a band of 1/2" x 1/2" square stock around the insulation pocket

Tuning plates

Throat

Gas assist log lighter made from 3/8 black pipe and 1.5” x 1/4” tubing. NOTE: I’ve read the posts RE the dangers of propane log lighters in these cookers. Also saw the post of the guy that had to have pig skin sewn onto his arm from his finger tips to his elbow. This will only be used to light the logs and will be disconnected from the pit once the logs are burning. If anyone has any thoughts/insights on this, my design, etc. please chime in.

Fabrication will begin next Monday and I hope to be completed within a week (we’ll see). I live 10 hrs from the shop so I need to jump on it and gitt’r done. I’ll continue to post pics of my progress throughout the week.

Question RE Design: How important is it to preheat your sticks during a cook? If I wasn’t going to have an insulated FB, I’d just set the sticks on top of the FB to let them warm up. If it’s not necessary, not a big deal. If it is, does anyone have any thoughts on how I could provide for this? I live in the Houston TX area, so cold weather cooking is not really a problem.

Oh yeah, here are the numbers for my cooker:
LINK!

Last edited by gibby on Thu Nov 22 18 11:42 am; edited 15 times in total
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on well set-up rigs, preheating really helps, not so much a question of climate as getting wood to the gaseous state. Short answer is you should have room in your FB to preheat some sticks. Good luck with your build...
gibby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jess. Good to know. I'm looking forward to the build. I hadn't considered preheating them in the FB itself b/c I was afraid they might smolder and put off some dirty smoke.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibby looks like you have a well thought out plan Very Happy
You have mastered Google Sketch-up for sure.
I played with it a little and you got me by leaps and bounds...maybe I'll practice a little more Embarassed
Good luck on your build...looking forward to more updates.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs,

I have an insulated firebox o my cooker and I still put sticks on top.......probably doesn't get to hot, but I think the key is using dry wood.......I make sure it catches before I latch the door and I don't have any problems with smoldering wood. I think you will be fine if you pay attention to the quality of your cooking wood.

As mentioned though, you should have plenty of wood to pre heat inside the firebox if necessary.

All the best,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
gibby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel delivery came today. Ain't that new plate purdy? Smile

My Pop and 97 yr old Grandpa went ahead and cut the pipe to length, so they can run it over to the be media blasted tomorrow AM. Looking forward to three generations working on this project next week!! Grandpa wants paid in Q...I can do that!!

Got a nice clean cut on the pipe. We're planning on welding on the end caps first before cutting out lid. I think I've seen it done both ways on other posts, but I think it would be better to get the ends welded up before cutting the lid as I'd get less movement on the pipe/lid. If the veterans have a strong opinion one way or the other, please speak up. This is my first build, so I'm sure to have some surprises. BTW, the pipe wall is 3/8". Does that mean that it has less chance of moving or that I'll have more trouble getting it back to where it's supposed be? Smile

Stay tuned...more to come!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibby, that is a nice cut on the pipe. Very Happy Getting the pipe cleaned up first is always nice I do it when I can.
I normally put my ends on and have the chamber on legs before the door cut but that is just me. If the pipe is gonna move it is gonna move it really wont matter what you use to cut it with if it is stressed. I do take precautions to help reduce the heat stress from my torch. Here is a pic showing the arrows left behind to cool before cutting all the way out. This door actually moved in instead of springing out.

I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
AndrewT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice design and looks like you're off to a good start! If it were mine, I'd probably leave the top of the firebox uninsulated and carry the shelf all the way to the end. That way you can slide your bean pot or whatever on and off the heat...it'd probably be better for preheating logs as well. Either way, I can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck!
gibby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08 13 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed, KAM, AndrewT! Hope to get the pipe back from the mediablasting tomorrow.
chaney1320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09 13 10:57 am    Post subject: Generation project !! Reply with quote

3 generations on this should have all problems covered !! Lol can't wait to see more pics !!
gibby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10 13 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaney1320, I hope you're right! Laughing

Got my CC pipe back from the sandblasters yesterday and was very happy with how well it cleaned up!

Before:

After:

Picked up the last of my shopping list yesterday. Bought a couple of quarts of Rustoleum High Temp Black Satin paint. Disappointed that I couldn't find any flat back in quarts or pints. There's no way I'm rattle canning the entire pit. Hopefully the satin won't have too much sheen for me. I prefer the flat black look. Also picked up a couple of 3/8" black pipe fittings for my log starter. Plan to weld those together, then weld them into my FB.

Finally, I found some stainless lock nuts for my 3" Tel-Tru therms for $3 as opposed to the nut from Tru-Tel which was $7.41 ea. w/ $9.50 shipping!! I'm not cheap, but I'm not stupid either.

Thought I'd share a pic of my casters also. I bought them online from http://www.steelcasterstore.com. These are 5" dia 2" wide 1000lb casters. I bought 2 rigids and 2 swivel locks w/ shipping for $111.

The real work begins on Monday and I plan to post progress every night next week to document my build. Stay tuned.

PS - Do I win a free brisket for not having crossed SoEzzy with pic sizes > 650 pixels? Laughing
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10 13 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibby, doesn't your therms have 1/2" NPT threads if so why not just use a 1/2" coupling cut in two and weld it to the door.

Hybrid Cooker
deere green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10 13 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibby wrote:

PS - Do I win a free brisket for not having crossed SoEzzy with pic sizes > 650 pixels? Laughing

only been around the forum for a few weeks here but remember that dude that thought it was safe to live with the bears and they did the documentary on discovery channel? ya pretty sure that dude got killed by the bears so tread lightly. Shocked Laughing
gibby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10 13 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M. - That's what I had planned to do originally. I took the new therms to both Lowes and Home Depot to pick up a couple of fittings and I could only screw the threads in half way, at most. I tried several fittings from both stores. I bought the BQ300's w/ 2.5" stems. There is a small groove on the therm stem closest to the threads. The instructions say that groove needs to be inside the pit for it to register temps accurately. So, with 3/8" wall pipe and the issue with the tapered threads on the fittings I though it would be best to use the lock nut to make sure the groove made it fully into the CC. Wanted to be safer than sorry.
tcoop4899

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11 13 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice on the nuts.I learned the hard way. I welded collars on for my tru-tels. During my seasoning burn they were reading way under temp. Had to cut the collars off and start over using nuts.

low and slow the only way to go
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11 13 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcoop4899 wrote:
Good choice on the nuts.I learned the hard way. I welded collars on for my tru-tels. During my seasoning burn they were reading way under temp. Had to cut the collars off and start over using nuts.

I used 6" stems on my chamber door and 4" on my grill and warmers.

Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11 13 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Picked up the last of my shopping list yesterday"
Won't be the last one till your cooking on her Wink Laughing
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12 13 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:

Yeah.............he's right. Shocked

Gibby, I'm loving the three generation build. Very Happy Pay attention to Grandpa, you don't get that old by being stupid. Laughing

Keep the pics coming, that is a build I wish I could do. Cool
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12 13 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:

And then you will find something else to add. I am adding to mine this weekend and I finished it last year. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
gibby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13 13 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!!! Day 1 has come and gone and I got a lot accomplished today. Started out by getting the ends capped on my pipe.
Turned out pretty good, but I think they may have puckered in a bit. Hopefully, this won't cause me too many issues.

Next up was the FB. I began laying out my cuts on the 4x8 sheets of 1/4" plate making way for the plasma cutter. A lot less work to clean up than using the torch (at least when I'm using it that is)

Haven't arc welded for probably 15 yrs...kinda like riding a bike

My dad picked this Lincoln 300 up for $1700 a couple of years ago. It was a steal!! Runs so smooth and loves to chew through rods.

First box braced and welded inside and out.

Didn't get a pic of it, but both boxes are finished. Tomorrow, I will cut the throat in the back of both boxes as well as the hole for my log starter. Hopefully by lunch I'll be ready to install the insulation and weld the two boxes together.

Last piece of work done today was my first effort at the log starter nozzle. I think I might need to adjust the size of the orifice, make it a bit smaller. I'll like to have a solid blue (and a tad smaller) flame.

Me and Pop after a long first day (finished at 10:00).

So the only regret of the day...I wish I hadn't overlapped the joints on the two boxes as much as I did. I could have welded up the gaps, done much less grinding and have a little nicer radius on the corners. Oh well, its still going to turn out nice.

That's it for day 1. Day 2 starts in just a few hours!! Stay tuned!

Last edited by gibby on Wed Aug 14 13 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: