FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Makin Bacon without.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 9:31 am    Post subject: Makin Bacon without..... Reply with quote

I seem to recall a TV show where the Chef made bacon using boiled Celery water vice the pink cure. I mention that because my son is sensitive to certain chemicals in food so we have to eat as close to 100% organic as possible. Has anyone heard of making bacon without the pink cure? If so, can you share a link or the recipe?

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Makin Bacon without..... Reply with quote

NAVET wrote:
I seem to recall a TV show where the Chef made bacon using boiled Celery water vice the pink cure. I mention that because my son is sensitive to certain chemicals in food so we have to eat as close to 100% organic as possible. Has anyone heard of making bacon without the pink cure? If so, can you share a link or the recipe?

It can be done, but guess what the exact same compound derived from celery that is responsible for changing the molecular structure to that of cured the meat is;
Nitrites/nitrates!
The same active ingredient in curing salt.

Celery, Spinach, and a few other veggies have very high concentrations of nitrites/nitrates in them, so think of it as a different way of using the same active ingredient and making it sound like there are no chemicals used.

This whole "Uncured" craze we've been witnessing is pretty much false, the manufacturers are not listing the active ingredient, they are only listing what they derived that active ingredient from.
Just as manufacturers hide the MSG in their products under names that start with "Hydrolyzed" or 'Kombu Extract" or many of the dozen or so FDA approved ways of deceptively labeling many products to mislead people.

What compounds is your child sensitive to that you need to avoid?
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what Harry said.

Isn't science great? Wink
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me back up a bit.

A while back my wife and I began to think my son had ADHD. He was so full of energy that he was over the top energetic. He had so much excess energy he almost could not listen and do what he was told. I understand that at 5 they are all balls of energy but he was so over the top that it was as if his little brain couldn't do what it was asked because the excess energy was preventing it.

My wife did some research and realized he may be sensitive to the "junk" in some foods. She went organic for two days while I was out of town on business and she said it was like he was a completely different child. I was a bit skeptical but she did it again when I was home and to say I was shocked and amazed is an understatement! The idea of NOT putting him on those meds was overwhelming.

Through the process of elimination, so far we have found the chemical dyes in many foods do it as well as the preservatives. My fear is the pink salt will do the same thing.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAVET wrote:

Through the process of elimination, so far we have found the chemical dyes in many foods do it as well as the preservatives. My fear is the pink salt will do the same thing.

I suppose it would come down to how sensitive he is.

I wouldn't think there would be much dye in the amount of cure you would use to make bacon but if he is hypersensitive to it then any could be to much I suppose.

I would say your best bet would be to purchase the bacon advertised as nitrite free because it would more than likely have been cured with celery juice which would be dye free.
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26 13 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used this or a similar product?

http://www.americanspice.com/no-nitrite-cure-bulk-16-oz/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: