FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Build- UDS Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMax27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 11:32 pm    Post subject: 1st Build- UDS Smoker Reply with quote

Hey ya'll, new to the forum and new to BBQing, unless burnt hamburgers and hotdogs count!

Anyway, have a question about the drum: the drum I have has an orange/red coating, is this considered a lining or possibly just paint? The barrel's tag says it was used for apple juice concentrate. The paint or whatever it is came off pretty easily with a wire brush attachment on my drill.

Thanks, and I look forward to busting out some good Q!
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a liner to me. Burn it out and the wire brush it. Or just get it sandblasted (my fav method). Don't forget pics of ur build too! Looking forward tobseeing some cooks from u!

Modified ECB
UDS
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to get something sandblasted - are there places you can bring it to, to get it done? or was that a comment for those that own sandblasting equipment?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukoff wrote:
to get something sandblasted - are there places you can bring it to, to get it done? or was that a comment for those that own sandblasting equipment?

yukoff, yes there are commercial paint company's that sand blast. The company my son works for does all my blasting for me.

Hybrid Cooker
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks!
4xAggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of professional sandblasting, how much does that usually cost?

Say for an offset trailer pit (but a little smaller--say 125 to 150 gallon cooker)?

I'm trying to plan/evaluate budget stuff for my pit down the road.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4xAggie, with no canopy figure 500.00 to 1000.00. That will get you in the ball park.

Hybrid Cooker
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukoff wrote:

This is what google shows. https://www.google.com/search?q=newcastlw+wa+sandblasting&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Hope it helps. Cost could run 20-50 bucks but if u put a cost on ur time, wire brushes, and grinding disks it's worth it to me. Plus u know u have good clean steel. That's worth the cost alone for me.

Modified ECB
UDS
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4xAggie, you mentioned a bit smaller than k.a.m.s monsters. This went for around $350 on site blast, no paint

And my current blaster / painter does both on this size backyarder for around $225

Not that k.a.m.s estimate needed verification as it was spot on, just good to know what other blasters are doing, seems pretty stable in these neck-o-the-woods.
Apologies for hijacking your thread TMax27
TMax27

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24 13 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, gone one day and a total hi-jacking occurs Shocked

I'm gonna check out getting this thing sandblasted. Like was mentioned, if add up my time, consumables, and most likely a new drill or grinder, I imagine I'd be in the $75 range getting the barrel down to bare metal. If I can get it sandblasted for $40-50, I'll be money, but most importantly time ahead.

I'll be sure to post pics once I get going good on the UDS.
Johnnyroastbeef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 13 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMax27 wrote:
LOL, gone one day and a total hi-jacking occurs Shocked

I'm gonna check out getting this thing sandblasted. Like was mentioned, if add up my time, consumables, and most likely a new drill or grinder, I imagine I'd be in the $75 range getting the barrel down to bare metal. If I can get it sandblasted for $40-50, I'll be money, but most importantly time ahead.

I'll be sure to post pics once I get going good on the UDS.

I'm not sure where you're located but you can find used, unlined steel drums for around 20 bucks near me in Philadelphia. Just thought i'd mention it before you invested money into sandblasting that liner out. Best of luck.
Franklin7x57

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26 13 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 drums sandblasted for $65. I started out with lined drums, if you can get unlined drums that's the way to go. If not, sandblast it, I burnt, sanded, burnt, sanded over and over again. I spent more on disk etc. and sucked in more crap in my lungs and still wasn't satisfied with the results.

I love mine now, got 2 butts on as I type. Sandblast it!!
TMax27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30 13 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: checked two places locally to have the barrel sandblasted. One place wouldn't do it, but did refer me to the 2nd place. The 2nd place would do it for an $80/hr one hour minimum, but thought it would take 1.5 hours. He also said he thought it would really thin out the metal.

With that being said, I'm in search of a unlined barrel. I won't have time to actually work on the smoker for another two weeks, so hopefully in that time I'll be able to source a local barrel. I've found a barrel supplier 80 miles down the interstate, but then I'd still be out time and gas, plus the cost of the barrel.

My goal is to build the smoker (minus thermometers) for $100. I'm at $93 so far: barrel, grates, paint, nuts & bolts, pipe nipples, ball valve, etc. The only thing left to get for the smoker itself is a piece of expanded metal for the charcoal basket. It looks like I'm gonna miss the $100 goal by a little bit, but that's OK, but don't want to get too far above that, because I'd like to buy quality thermometers, which is from my understanding, just as important as anything else when quality BBQ is concerned.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30 13 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to WalMart get a Turkey Fryer thermometer $4.95 with a 12" probe, with a little work and some scrap metal you can balance it below grate level to measure your temps.

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30 13 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Go to WalMart get a Turkey Fryer thermometer $4.95 with a 12" probe, with a little work and some scrap metal you can balance it below grate level to measure your temps.

^^^^^^^^^^^
That is all you need. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
TMax27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30 13 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4.95 Turkey Thermometer sounds good to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: