FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pitmaster IQ or Guru?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 10:19 pm    Post subject: Pitmaster IQ or Guru? Reply with quote

Thoughts?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pitmaster IQ or Guru? Reply with quote

fergolicious wrote:
Thoughts?

Neither. Wink
I prefer to run a cooker on my ability and not rely on gadgets. About as far as I stretch is a digital therm and I really do not need that.

Hybrid Cooker
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an iq 120 but haven't had time this weekend to try it out.

But, as far as k.a.m.'s comments go, I think it's more important to know how to run a smoker on fire alone well before picking up any of these devices unless the cooker is designed to only run on one. Understanding fire management inside and out makes the use of air management systems much more advantageous as you know exactly what you want the unit to do.

...Also, if she poops out on ya, when you know what you're doing its no big deal to go back to working the dampers.
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, please allow me to rephrase. I have very good fire management skills. Cooked on a reverse flow stick burner for about two years with no fan system. I'm moving into a gravity feed cooker and would like to run a fan system. Was wondering about opinions of people that have used these fan systems and their thoughts on them.
djbutter22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a guru for my large Spicewine and the IQue110 for my WSM. If budget doesn't matter, I would go with the Guru. They have lots of options on their setups. I think the fact that vertain Gurus allow you to control multiple pits. And the Wifi option is nice if you're cooking in bad weather.
The IQue110 does what it is supposed to do. I never have a problem with it keeping my WSM steady. The new Iques has a digital readout and is more like the Guru but still a one piece system.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lantern wrote:
But, as far as k.a.m.'s comments go, I think it's more important to know how to run a smoker on fire alone well before picking up any of these devices unless the cooker is designed to only run on one.

Does someone actually build a cooker that requires one of these fan systems to operate? If so I would think that cooker is a poor excuse for a cooker.

Hybrid Cooker
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the IQ110 with my Stumps and it was great,, with a cooker like Stumps it's easier to control with hand valve, but why when you can make life simple with a controller
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time to manage your pit, running on man management is wonderful but if you need to multitask and may be distracted during a cook by so many things during a busy day, then a guru or such is the perfect assistant to keep a steady temp throughout the cook. Just saying we can't always just work the smoker and nurse a cold beverage. So maybe it depends on the circumstances, not just the skills. I have a half dozen Southern Prides to assist with my busy days, but I also have a reverse flow and depending on the situation it can be managed or put in guru mode while I tend to other needs. Nothing better than a reliable assistant to remind you to check on things.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
Nothing better than a reliable assistant to remind you to check on things.

That would be Debbie my wife. More than an assistant she is my competition partner as well. Wink Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24 13 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Auber controller, it works well but will only do one pit. It does have high and low alarms.
As for ATCs in general I agree that one needs to know their pit first, but they do have a place.
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24 13 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
lantern wrote:
But, as far as k.a.m.'s comments go, I think it's more important to know how to run a smoker on fire alone well before picking up any of these devices unless the cooker is designed to only run on one.

Does someone actually build a cooker that requires one of these fan systems to operate? If so I would think that cooker is a poor excuse for a cooker.

LMAO!! Oddly enough Stump made one not too long ago. It was SUPPOSED to run either way, but they quickly found out different. The stump elite I believe it was called. They quickly changed the design though.
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24 13 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the gravity fed smokers, the ATC is really helpful to maintain temp but even more helpful when recovering the pit temp after the door has been open while tending to the meat (which is basically 1 complete side of the smoker). All of the heat dumps out and it takes a little time to recover due the nature of the slow air movement as compared to a stick burner that recovers much faster due to high volume of air moving through the pit.

I have a Stoker on my home built Stump clone. The cook chamber is 2' x 2' x 4' tall. So after having dumped all of the heat, it would take 30 minutes to recover if I just allowed the natural heat to bring it back up to temp (1.5" ball valve doesn't allow lots of air through). But with the Stoker, I can recover in about 5 minutes and then I'm rock steady at my target temp.

I cooked with a team that used a regular stick burner. I was curious about temp swing and recovery time. I used the Stoker (with Stokerlog) to graph out the cook. They didn't seem to upset to see 50 degree swings in temps - if I see more than 2 degree temp swings, I'm pissed and I'm looking for reasons.

But to each their own.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24 13 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a 50 degree temp swing is vicious. My cooker swings about 10 to 15 degrees when adding a split. To me on an offset that is acceptable.
My door is 50" wide and if you play around your going to lose heat. Debbie and I always have a plan before opening the door to minimize heat loss.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: