FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help/ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWSSBBQ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20 13 2:59 pm    Post subject: Need help/ideas Reply with quote

Deer season is rapidly approaching, and I am getting ready to make up a mess of summer sausage. Problem is, a friend that needs some meat would like some summer sausage, but is allergic to beef and pork. As such, any venison she gets must be processed where we know the equipment has not touched pork or beef, which leaves my kitchen. I process all my own deer anyway, so that is not a problem. She suggested adding duck (including the fat) to the venison, but I was afraid that the melting temp of the duck fat would be too low. Was thinking lamb, but I am unsure if she has any allergies to that as well. Any suggestions?
Cheech
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That my friend is a tough one. You may need to experiment a bit. Possibly try chicken thighs, duck could work but all the duck that I have seen is not real fatty and you will need fat to add to the venison. If memory serves me right there are some substitutes from one of the online suppliers. I will see if I can find it. Might have to suggest eating something like jerky rather than sausage.
TWSSBBQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that most people that suffer from beef and pork allergies end up allergic to lamb as well, so that may be out the window. Farm raised ducks, such as those available at the local grocery store, usually have quite an abundance of fat. Instead, I was wondering about using the hard tallow off of the back of the deer itself. Would probably be using doe for her, as I believe that fat would be less volitile (anyone that has eaten a venison steak with fat on it from a buck could attest to that statement). Just not sure how gamey it would make it. Anyone else have any suggestions???? would like to make a small test batch with last years harvest before committing 15-20 lbs to it from this years. Thanks again. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: