FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The fastest Ciabotta cook ever...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wartface

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02 13 2:11 am    Post subject: The fastest Ciabotta cook ever... Reply with quote

It was my very first try at Ciabotta bread. The weather was 78 degrees in my kitchen. The flour (500 grams) was 78 degrees in it's storage container. I used 85 degree water, 475 grams. 2 1/4 ounces of instant yeast and 14 grams of salt.

At 12:00pm i put everything in my kitchen aid mixer bowl except the salt. I mixed it to the shaggy state and the autolyse it for 20 minutes then I added the salt and put my mixer on a real high mixing speed and let the machine do it's thing. After about 10 minutes at that real high speed the dough was slapping the side of the mixing bowl and was all in a ball on the dough hook. It was then about 12:42pm.

I put the dough in my proofing container and put a rubber band around the container so I could see how much it was raising. It tripled in mass in 45 minutes. Wow... I'd never seen dough raise like that. It is now about 1:30pm.

At this point I fired up my large Big Green Egg so I could preheat my pizza stone to 500 degrees. I like to preheat for bread baking for at least 1 hour.

I took the dough out of the proofing container and put it on a well floured work surface and punched it down some and preshaped it into 2 loaves and let it raise again. 30 minutes later I did the same thing and final shaped it. It is now 2:05pm.

A half hour later at 2:35pm I put it on the preheated pizza stone under my preheated mixing bowl after I sprayed it with water for the steam I needed and left it covered under the mixing bowl for the first 10 minutes of the cook. Then I took the mixing bowl off and turned the heat down to about 465 degrees. My intent from there was to watch it brown to the color I wanted it to be through the top vent of the BGE... But, browning was not to be on these lovely loaves... They were over proofed in that short time. it is now 3:00pm. Warp speed from start of mixing to out of the oven in 3 hours, wow!

The Ciabotta bread looked great with great oven spring and it tasted wonderful. But I think my mistake was using 85 degrees water. The water should have been much cooler so the dough didn't rise at warp speed. If I had done that it would have risen slower and not used up the chemicals needed for the browning of the dough.

It was a fun attempt at Ciabotta I was amazed at how fast everything was happening. That just shows how the weather effects how the dough works at higher temps. If I had done the same thing and my room temperature was in the mid 60's it would have taken 2 or 3 hours for the first rise. That's what I was expecting on this dough really.

Here are some picture's of this cook...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/9180176476/

You must have a mixer to make Ciabotta this way...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/9178138985/

Good oven spring...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/9178041081/

The view from the top vent...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/9180242636/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Bread Baking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: